Carmichael Traing Systems? Is it worth it?

reallyoldpunk

Feb 17, 2007
Anyone have an opinion on the CTS programs? I guess I would like a little direction in my training, so I would like some input on these folks. Do you have any other recommendations for guided training?

Difficulty: I am a Type 1 diabetic with an achilles tendon that was reconstructed 2 years ago (yes it hurt!!).

I thank you in advance for your input.

reallyoldpunk said:
Anyone have an opinion on the CTS programs? I guess I would like a little direction in my training, so I would like some input on these folks. Do you have any other recommendations for guided training?

Difficulty: I am a Type 1 diabetic with an achilles tendon that was reconstructed 2 years ago (yes it hurt!!).

At the risk of blatant self-promotion... the forum sponsor RST... www.cyclecoach.com, give me a shout at [email protected]

cheers
ric

reallyoldpunk said:

I did 6 months on their Classic programme a couple of years back (a gift). The main problem for me was the time difference between the UK and the USA and the fact that their website/technology was so unreliable (the programme is entirely computer generated). Often I couldn't log workouts or get answers to questions until 36 hours later. They do offer personal coaching and there are lots of enthuiastic users on their forum so please don't think I'm rubbishing them - you pay your money and take your choice. However, if I was going to use a coach again I'd want someone in the same country and regular one-to-one interaction. Given your health issues I'd suggest you certainly want to avoid any computer generated or off the shelf programme.

Its very important to choose a coach that you trust, and one that you can communicate with. I would recommend avoiding any training plans that don't involve communication with an actual person. The main benefit of coaching is talking to the coach, who has lots of experience. You can find links to hundreds of different kinds of training plans on this site for free, but if you have the resources you are much better off with an actual coach. You should definitely talk with whoever you are going to hire before you hire them.

Any particular reason that you are interested in CTS, other than their notoriety? I only ask because Michele Ferrari has a website where he offers similar services ( www.53X12.com ). Like Floyd Landis said, which one would you listen to? Well maybe you shouldn't, but I think it would be interesting to hear if anyone actually uses Ferrari's program, I bet its really expensive (or maybe that is just the EPO he gives you).

Also, for what its worth, I'm a type 1 diabetic. I'm very new to cycling, but I can offer a few pieces of information. Make sure not to drop too low while you are riding, since you might get in a horrible accident. This happened to me while driving 3 years ago, and I can only imagine that it would be more likely when you are engaged in vigorous exercise. Also, everyone is different, but I notice that while my blood glucose drops low during hard workouts, after these workouts it sometimes mysteriously spikes really high, so you should watch for that.

If you manage to figure out a good way to mount a glucometer to your bike, it would be cool if you could tell me, and if you use an insulin pump you should also tell me how you wear it while cycling (especially if you use bib shorts, since I've been wondering about that for a while).

Good Luck.

GIH said:
Its very important to choose a coach that you trust, and one that you can communicate with.

this is very important.

You should definitely talk with whoever you are going to hire before you hire them.

Any particular reason that you are interested in CTS, other than their notoriety? I only ask because Michele Ferrari has a website where he offers similar services ( www.53X12.com ).

Just to point out that it's highly unlikely you get MF as your actual coach... I'm not sure if that's a positive or negative point though...

ric

Yeah I guess I should have made it clear that I wasn't seriously suggesting that the poster should sign on with 53X12, although I don't see why it would be worse than CTS.

But, then again, I don't have any experience with cycling coaches. I did have a lot of coaching when I was a tennis player. Coaching in tennis is much different because everything is based on technique. But the CTS phenomenon definitely existed in tennis (I would say it was even worse in tennis), and there were tons of mega camps like Bolleterri's for example.

GIH said:
If you manage to figure out a good way to mount a glucometer to your bike, it would be cool if you could tell me, and if you use an insulin pump you should also tell me how you wear it while cycling (especially if you use bib shorts, since I've been wondering about that for a while).

I have been using an insulin pump since the late 80's. Putting a glucometer on board your bike is problematic. I carry a very small one in my jersey pocket. Mini-Med has a new pump that puts a blood sugar sensor in the infusion set and gives a reading every 5 minutes. Most of my cycling shorts have key pockets sewn into them and the pump fits nicely there. Otherwise I clip it to the top of my shorts or put it in my jersey pocket.

Thanks for your advice everyone.

Carmichael advocates less pain more gain....just what many riders want to hear.
He is a big believer in loads of hours from season end to early Spring at what he calls "foundation miles" which is low endurance....then he bumps up to "endurance miles" which is mid endurance.
WAY WAY too much time putting around in my opinion. Most men have limited time to train and this is a waste of time for them. Not only that but it can and does lower testosterone level in many men....noty good for recovery reasons.

The off-season is for building functional threshold power and once a person is in half decent shape you must do considerable time at Tempo, Sweetspot(high tempo low threshold) and threshold per week.
Carmichael rightly believes in building a huge aerobic engine but fails to understand that it is the building of Mitochondria, and vasulature to provide O2 to them, as well as increasing the stroke volume of the heart, that makes this possible. Hours on end at low to mid endurance intensity does next to nothing to increase mitohondria density and vasculature , once past the beginner stage of riding. Also, threshold work done YEAR ROUND and VO2 work done starting in late winter have a MUCH GREATER impact on increasing the stroke volume of the heart.

He is famous because he trained Lance to some degree but I have found out from very reliable sources that he trained Lance very little actually and that Ferarri was not only his doctor he he he....but his trainer/coach.

In a great twist of irony, one of my long lost friends is one of the CTS coaches (she used to race in my regional MTB teams in the mid 90's). When she coaches on her own her strategies are a little more agressive (and she lives in my city). So I guess I will be receiving the best benefits, based on the advice you guys have given.

Thanks again!!:)