General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Carnitas

Started by Nancy Young · · Last activity · 68 posts · 1,117 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
10 May 2006
Last activity
13 May 2006
Original author
Nancy Young
Posts
68
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,117
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 61–68 of 68
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Steve Wertz said:
    Reg said:

    It's a function of the internal temperature of the meat. Pork is
    "slicable" up until about 180-185 F internal. Above that it becomes
    "pullable", i.e. it will begin to shred easily. The oven temp
    doesn't have much to do with it.

    Yeah - what he said ;-)

    I should have read further into the thread first.

    -sw

    Actually I'm glad you followed up, because you included something
    I should have specified.

    The above works for pork *shoulder*. Plus the tougher beef cuts.
    Chuck, brisket, etc.

    Don't try cooking your tenderloin to 190 F internal 🙂

    --
    Reg

  2. projectile vomit chick said:

    On Thu, 11 May 2006 00:18:24 -0500, in rec.food.cooking, Damsel in dis
    Dress <[email hidden]> hit the crackpipe and declared:

    Quoted message said:
    projectile vomit chick said:

    What part of the US has Costcos? I see that chain mentioned a lot
    here, but we have none here in the upper midwest.

    Are we neighbors?

    Carol in MN

    I am in Iowa.

    Cool! I'm about 10-15 miles from the border.

    Carol

  3. Food Snob said:
    Nancy Young said:

    I wondered what they were, I see signs We have carnitas!
    Gathered it was a pork dish and figured I'd get around to trying
    it one day.

    The best carnitas are nothing but pork cooked in rendered pork fat:

    http://rollybrook.com/carnitas-2.htm

    Some people put [censored] like cumin--which isn't even a Mexican spice--in
    them.

    And carnitas aren't an exclusively Mexican food!

    Carnitas are not necessarily porked cooked in rendered pork fat.It
    depends on what part of Latin America you happen to be in at the time
    or which country's "recipe" is being used in the preparation. In the
    part of latin American in which I live, Honduras, carnitas are more
    like Nancy described. They are served with refried beans, quesillo,
    rice, and a slice of avocado. Pork is not used for carnitas - chicken
    or beef are the meats of choice. Pork is served strictly as a chuleta
    or an oven roasted leg.

    SD

  4. Nancy Young said:

    Yeah, I don't know about that since I've never been to another
    warehouse club, never mind Sam's. Normally I wouldn't really
    think of buying a box of cooked meat (sorry, there must be a more
    graceful way of saying that). The Carnegie pastrami aside, that's
    different. I mention that because ...

    Wait. Are you saying that Costco has pastrami from the Carnegie Deli?

    --Blair
    "So if I eat a pound a day that should spread out
    the membership cost to just a few percent of
    the total..."

  5. "Blair P. Houghton" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Nancy Young said:

    Yeah, I don't know about that since I've never been to another
    warehouse club, never mind Sam's. Normally I wouldn't really
    think of buying a box of cooked meat (sorry, there must be a more
    graceful way of saying that). The Carnegie pastrami aside, that's
    different. I mention that because ...

    Wait. Are you saying that Costco has pastrami from the Carnegie Deli?

    It says Carnegie Deli on the box! Each box contains two
    packets, each packet makes two nice hot pastrami sandwiches.

    nancy

  6. "Blair P. Houghton" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Wait. Are you saying that Costco has pastrami from the Carnegie Deli?

    Heh, I'm awake now, you were funnin me.

    nancy

  7. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Wait. Are you saying that Costco has pastrami from the Carnegie Deli?

    Heh, I'm awake now, you were funnin me.

    They do, hard as it may be to believe. Not literally "from" the Carnegie
    but made according to their recipe - and it is very good. I won't claim
    it's as good as the genuine article but it is still excellent. We had it
    for lunch today.

    --
    Peter Aitken
    Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm

  8. "Peter A" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Wait. Are you saying that Costco has pastrami from the Carnegie Deli?

    Heh, I'm awake now, you were funnin me.

    Quoted message said:

    They do, hard as it may be to believe. Not literally "from" the Carnegie
    but made according to their recipe - and it is very good. I won't claim
    it's as good as the genuine article but it is still excellent. We had it
    for lunch today.

    Close as I can get to a decent deli sandwich around here, that's
    for sure. I guess whatsisname thinks I said that 5 times too many.
    Heh.

    nancy

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.