Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by E & V Willson, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. I would appreciate any hints to improve/relieve carpal tunnel syndrome. The Doctor tells me that I
    have a mild case, and I don't want to see it get worse. It seems that riding can cause it. Are any
    handlebars/grips better that others? Any helpful suggestions or site links will be appreciated.

    Thanks, Ernie

    >I would appreciate any hints to improve/relieve carpal tunnel syndrome. The Doctor tells me that I
    >have a mild case, and I don't want to see it get worse. It seems that riding can cause it. Are any
    >handlebars/grips better that others? Any helpful suggestions or site links will be appreciated.

    Riding can definitely cause it. Especially MTBing on rough terrain. The first time I went off road,
    I couldn't close my left hand for 4 days. What I did was I got a suspension fork and that make
    things much better.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  3. How about aero bars? Then your forearms support the weight instead of your hands.

    E & V Willson wrote:

    > I would appreciate any hints to improve/relieve carpal tunnel syndrome. The Doctor tells me that I
    > have a mild case, and I don't want to see it get worse. It seems that riding can cause it. Are any
    > handlebars/grips better that others? Any helpful suggestions or site links will be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks, Ernie

  4. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Kolaga Xiuhtecuhtli <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm recovering from a problem with my ulnar nerve. It was Cyclist's Palsy.
    >
    > My left hand went weak for certain motions. I was OK with the brakes but I couldn't shift (road
    > bike...) I think it was an episode of ischemia. I put too much weight on my hands while in the
    > drops and this cut off blood to the ulnar nerve in my palm.
    >
    > Now I ride with the most padded gloves I can get and I change hand position
    >
    > frequently. I suspect hot baths (heat to the hand) helped the healing process. It took three
    > months to get my strength back. Hope things go well for you too!

    Strangely enough this was probably caused not so much by pressure on the hands as by the kink in
    your neck and back. You can generally prevent this problem with a more upright position and a
    lighter helmet.

    When people were wearing those really heavy helmets these sorts of problems were a lot more common.
    That was why they had gel filled gloves and foam bar tape and the like. When helmets got half as
    heavy most of these problems disappeared.

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 27 Dec 2002 11:59:57 -0800, [email protected] (Tom Kunich) wrote:

    >Strangely enough this was probably caused not so much by pressure on the hands as by the kink in
    >your neck and back. You can generally prevent this problem with a more upright position and a
    >lighter helmet.

    Ooh! Please! Can I be the one to suggest riding a bent? I'm sure it's my turn by now!

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  6. B2723m

    B2723m Guest

    >> I would appreciate any hints to improve/relieve carpal tunnel syndrome.

    Have your bike fit checked and frequently change positions on the bar...tops, hoods and drops.
    >How about aero bars? Then your forearms
    support the weight instead of your
    >hands.

    These will give another position for the hands. I use them, but control is diminished and they
    shouldn't be used around other riders.

    > Any helpful suggestions or site links will be
    >> appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks, Ernie

    Sorry, I haven't any web help.

    brad/texas

  7. R.H.

    R.H. Guest

    Specialized body geometry gloves helped me a great deal!!
    --
    ______________________________________

    From: Rob Senior Executive Managing Manager, Department of Redundancy Department
    ______________________________________

    "Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > Have your bike fit checked and frequently change positions on the
    bar...tops,
    > > hoods and drops.
    > > >How about aero bars? Then your
    forearms
    > > support the weight instead of your
    > > >hands.
    > >
    > > These will give another position for the hands. I use them, but control
    is
    > > diminished and they shouldn't be used around other riders.
    >
    > Or automobile traffic!
    >

    > > > Any helpful suggestions or site links will be

    > > Sorry, I haven't any web help.
    > >
    > > brad/texas
    >
    > ---
    > TLP de Guzman Bankside House 24 Sumner Street London SE1 9JA UNITED KINGDOM
    >
    > tel: +44 870 873 4587, ext.2766 (landline)
    > : +44 781 792 1610 (mobile)
    >
    > "Ka-tagal-tagal ko na nag-aaral, tignan mo, kupas na ang aking maong! Kung akala mo ako ay natuto
    > na, Hindi pa rin..."
    > - Apo Hiking Society

    ---