Carrying mountain bike up narrow stairs?

Nitefeatherz

Sep 12, 2012
Just recently moved to a 2nd floor apartment. Narrow staircase. Landlord sounded concerned that I might bump into the walls with one or both of my bicycles when I'm going up and down the stairs but didn't have many alternatives to offer in terms of keeping them in a shed (son has quads) or the basement (other son has a bedroom down there).

Anyone have any tips/techniques I can use to maximize her comfort level? My road bike is ok carrying up but the mountain bike I have is heavy and I'm not used to having to carry it up and down stairs- the last place I lived in had garage space.

See if this idea works for you ...

1. Remove the front wheel ...
  2. Bungee-or-Strap the handlebar to the top tube ...
  3. Hoist the nose of the saddle onto your shoulder (rear wheel facing UP ...forward when going up the stairs & toward your back when you are going down the stairs) & grab the downtube with the hand on THAT side while carrying the front wheel in the other hand.

OR get a soft bicycle "travel" bag which you (can presumably) leave in your car & stow the bike in it for when you are walking up-or-down the stairway .

Reactions: Nitefeatherz
When I lived in a apartment i had tried a trick that worked for me. But I am not sure it will actually work for you. I think the best thing to do is take only the part of bike without tires. This had helped me quite a lot.

We have found keeping rear wheel only on the stairs, or ground and keeping the front wheel completely over rear wheel vertically. This makes the bike smaller horizontally and easier to manoeuvre and it allows us to get our touring bikes (+20kg each) up a spiral staircase. Sadly it does not make them any lighter, just easier to get up the stairs!

I had to carry my bike upstairs in my old flat, and it was a big old heavy thing too. It gets easier after a while, and you might end up with some nice toned arm muscles as well!

There are many ways to carry a bike upstairs. The best to do is ask a heavy man to do it for you. I do believe ther is nothing bette than getting it done that way.

Reactions: kana_marie
shilpa123 said:
There are many ways to carry a bike upstairs. The best to do is ask a heavy man to do it for you. I do believe ther is nothing bette than getting it done that way.
Lol Int that the truth! I have found that's the best way to a lot of things.

Practice makes perfect. I have to carry my heavy ladies' bike up the stairs to my office every day. It's not just that the stairs happen to be narrow, but I also have to maneuver my bike through an even narrower door halfway up the long stairway. I usually manage it all very well, but, admittedly, it's a lot easier if someone helps me with it. So, perhaps the solution for you might also be a helping hand that grabs the back of your bike, while you lift the front. Or vice versa. :)