Cars -I don't know if I should scream or cry!

Eden

Feb 28, 2005
I was just listening to NPR and they had a short segment about the "in car entertainment" industry. Forget just the old DVD player in the back seat for the kiddies - think dvd,tv, touch screens, even gaming consoles in the dashboard where the driver can see it!!! They said that the more scupulous companies wire them up so that they won't work while the car is being driven, but that there are definite ways around the interlocks and plenty of not so honest installers who will do it. Of course this all appeals to teenagers the most, who are the least reliable drivers in the first place! aargh :mad: :mad: :mad:
Even the host of the show (Morning edition-link to listen to the segment- http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5079084) admitted to once sending a text message while driving. It just makes you want to hand out dope slaps - maybe make everyone who wants to buy one of these stupid sytems have a meeting with a family like Boudreaux's before they can get it.
I think that it is illegal in this state to have any of these kind of entertainment devices where the driver can see them and I would hope that these laws were in force everywhere, but again I don't think that it will stop people from getting and using it illegally until they actually hurt someone.

The stupidity of man will never cease. I've seen people reading while driving in traffic on highways. I can honestly say that I don't have a problem with these people being run off the road. The whole world would be safer.
Several states have laws against talking on cellphones (or at least laws that can include an extra ticket for violating another law whilst using a cell phone), but enforcing these laws is a hard task.
Having to enforcing "Don't watch TV or play video games while driving" laws...? Are we that stupid?? Yeah, we are.

Eden said:
I was just listening to NPR and they had a short segment about the "in car entertainment" industry. Forget just the old DVD player in the back seat for the kiddies - think dvd,tv, touch screens, even gaming consoles in the dashboard where the driver can see it!!! They said that the more scupulous companies wire them up so that they won't work while the car is being driven, but that there are definite ways around the interlocks and plenty of not so honest installers who will do it. Of course this all appeals to teenagers the most, who are the least reliable drivers in the first place! aargh :mad: :mad: :mad:
Even the host of the show (Morning edition-link to listen to the segment- http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5079084) admitted to once sending a text message while driving. It just makes you want to hand out dope slaps - maybe make everyone who wants to buy one of these stupid sytems have a meeting with a family like Boudreaux's before they can get it.
I think that it is illegal in this state to have any of these kind of entertainment devices where the driver can see them and I would hope that these laws were in force everywhere, but again I don't think that it will stop people from getting and using it illegally until they actually hurt someone.
Chance3290 said:
The stupidity of man will never cease. I've seen people reading while driving in traffic on highways. I can honestly say that I don't have a problem with these people being run off the road. The whole world would be safer.
Several states have laws against talking on cellphones (or at least laws that can include an extra ticket for violating another law whilst using a cell phone), but enforcing these laws is a hard task.
Having to enforcing "Don't watch TV or play video games while driving" laws...? Are we that stupid?? Yeah, we are.
Is it any wonder why the US is so lawsuit-happy....

cyberlegend1994 said:
Is it any wonder why the US is so lawsuit-happy....

Attorney are human too. If you cut them, do they not bleed?

So what are you waiting for,go out and cut a few.

jhuskey said:
Attorney are human too. If you cut them, do they not bleed?

So what are you waiting for,go out and cut a few.
Please don't do that!! I firmly believe that if you take a sword and cut a lawyer in half, you'll end up with two little lawyers. It boggles the mind. The horror...the horror...

Chance3290 said:
Please don't do that!! I firmly believe that if you take a sword and cut a lawyer in half, you'll end up with two little lawyers. It boggles the mind. The horror...the horror...
I know this comment is a little OT, but I think it’s a great joke :)
Why do sharks not eat lawyers, professional courtesy?

I love the old joke that says "whats the difference between a cat fish and a lawyer?...one is a scum sucking bottom feeder and the other is a fish"

I'm a car enthusiast myself and even I cant believe how far this whole audio/video craze has gone. I lived through the whole 70s custom van craze and I thought I saw some extreme stuff then, but it doesnt hold a candle to the level of **** that people actually think they can "multi-task" while driving.
Laws could be enforced for such things...Germany seems to be pretty successful at it. With no speed limits on the Autobahn hiway system, they have a much lower accident rate than we do in the US.
But even with all the distractions aside, there are many miles of lovely rural back roads where I live, but I'm afraid to ride them because of the speed that people drive them at. 45mph speed limits seem to be a passed over suggestions as people blast down these roads in trucks and SUVs at up to 70mph!...there are no shoulders or runoff areas, just a ditch. which I'm sure would not be condusive terrain for my recumbent trike. Not to mention getting whacked by one of these nuts and being left in said ditch for how long before any kind of help would arrive...there are so many places nearby that I would love to ride to but it just feels too dangerous.