"tb" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:Q00Ub.172306$sv6.926145@attbi_s52...
Quoted message said:Hi Peter,
Thank you for your comments.
I agree it is not the most "ideal" research situation and the reasons for
this are: being self-funded, I am already putting out a few thousand
dollars
Quoted message said:of my own money for this "small" pilot study; second, until this last week
I
Quoted message said:did not know where to get true placebos and the school did not rightfully
want me to create the cell salts and placebos myself due to liability,
thus
Quoted message said:I was stuck with having to use one cell salt; and third, I am a BA
student.
Quoted message said:Most people doing this type of research are at least at the MA level and
have some source of funding.
There is a control group, but it is not the ideal situation, as is often
true in volunteer cases. So there is the likelihood I will not find
anything
Quoted message said:statiscially significant. In the final report, considerations will of
course
Quoted message said:be noted to account for the placebo effect (although they cannot be truly
measured or controled for in this study).
How would you control for bias towards people with minor or unresolved
health problems?
You can't. That is the population that you will be working with through
your request for volunteers. A control group that is not randomly derived
from within the same population will invalidate any results. The only way
you can get meaningful results is to randomise half that population to an
identical sham treatment.
But, look, if it is intended to be a simple trial that goes towards your
grades, and your tutors have already accepted it, perhaps I should not have
interfered. It is just that the biases in poorly performed research are
all towards positive results, and many spurious treatment methods are
marketed with the help of such.
Quoted message said:What instrument would you use? That would be good to know.
And on what experience or knowledge do you base that? Are you a
researcher?
Quoted message said:
What do you mean by instrument? And these are basics to medical
research. I am a doctor with some research experience.
Quoted message said:This situation is fairly typical in research studies, is it not? Companies
ask for people with certain symptoms to be involved with a research
studies
Quoted message said:all the time. Myself, I was looking for a representative study population.
I
Quoted message said:know that there are enough volunteers without any minor health problems
involved in this study, but it would most definitely be called out in the
report. I want it to be a fair study. The thing is, Peter, I am
interested
Quoted message said:in the result even if it is in favor of the null hypothesis. The reason is
I
Quoted message said:have other theories and if anything statistically signifant is revealed
from
Quoted message said:this pilot study - no matter if it is for or against the alternative
hypothesis, it can aid me in further investigations.
I have changed my mind. If you think you are going to derive useful
information from the study, you should probably not be doing it unless you
do it very well. Otherwise you will be well away into the thrall of the
false hypothesis that has sustained so much junk medicine.
I can't advise how to set it up without more information as to what you want
to know. If you have the idea that vague health benefits may be shown by
applying your questionaire, be aware that you are bound to get positive
results on some questions merely due to chance. To prevent the numerous
other confounders that occur in medical trials patients must be randomised
and it should be double-blind.
Peter Moran
Quoted message said:
In fact, the study is set up in such a way to fail..... or provide some
significiant results. It may only show relationships, but it is possible
it
Quoted message said:will show something significant, too. The sad part is that no one except
the
Quoted message said:school has seen the study proposal, so it is difficult for anyone to make
a
Quoted message said:judgement about it at this point. I cannot obviously reveal everything at
this stage of ths study. I am purely looking for volunteers. They need not
have a positive opinion about astrological theory or its practice nor do
they need to have an agreeable opinion about the effects of cell salts or
homeopathic remedies for that matter. There are people who have already
volunteers to participate that hold both positions.
All the best,
Tishelle
Quoted message said:Don't do it, Tishelle, if you are real, and this is not actually some
more
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:subtle psychological survey.. As there is apparently no intention to
have
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:a control group for this "pilot" study, the results of the trial can be
Quoted message said:predicted without actually ever doing it. It will prove nothing, and if
Quoted message said:your school does not fail you for performing such a poorly designed
Quoted message said:medical study, it should.
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:Volunteers will be biased towards those who have minor or unresolved
Quoted message said:health problems, and those who think this combination of nonsenses have
merit, and
Quoted message said:who hope to feel better for it. It is predictable in such a short term
Quoted message said:study that somewhere between sixty and ninety per cent will report
Quoted message said:feeling better overall, and one hundred per cent will report feeling
Quoted message said:better in at least some of the numerous parameters looked at in the
Quoted message said:survey.
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:Your trial is designed in such a way that it cannot fail to get
Quoted message said:positive results, and I find it a little hard to believe that the cell
Quoted message said:salt people themselves are not already funding it.
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:Peter Moran
Quoted message said: