Chain Care (rec.bicycles.tech)

John Morgan

Guest
There is a thread over at rec.bicycles.tech that gives some interesting data about chain wear that
some of you might want to check out. To my knowledge, it's the first experiment performed of this
kind, and the conclusion is that washing a chain in solvent reduces chain life. Instead, wipe down
with a rag and re-apply lube of choice.

On a side note, they seem to all agree that you should not wash off that icky packing grease on your
new chains, as doing so can remove essential lubrication from the internals of the chain-- and that
can be difficult to replace by regular lubing.

I have always washed my chains when they got really dirty-- and I've always washed off the initial
goop too. It sounds like it's time to make a few changes in my maintenance habits.

If you are not interested in the techie aspect of bikes and maintenance, you may now go back to your
regularly scheduled BS'ing.

-John Morgan

Originally posted by John Morgan

On a side note, they seem to all agree that you should not wash off that icky packing grease on your
new chains, as doing so can remove essential lubrication from the internals of the chain-- and that
can be difficult to replace by regular lubing.

-John Morgan

I was recently at a LBS, and the mechanic stated the same thing. That 'icky packing grease' slopped over the chain is actually a wax based lubricant.

John Morgan wrote:
> There is a thread over at rec.bicycles.tech that gives some interesting data about chain wear that
> some of you might want to check out. To my knowledge, it's the first experiment performed of this
> kind, and the conclusion is that washing a chain in solvent reduces chain life. Instead, wipe down
> with a rag and re-apply lube of choice.
>
> On a side note, they seem to all agree that you should not wash off that icky packing grease on
> your new chains, as doing so can remove essential lubrication from the internals of the chain--
> and that can be difficult to replace by regular lubing.
>
> I have always washed my chains when they got really dirty-- and I've always washed off the initial
> goop too. It sounds like it's time to make a few changes in my maintenance habits.
>
> If you are not interested in the techie aspect of bikes and maintenance, you may now go back to
> your regularly scheduled BS'ing.
>
> -John Morgan

I've used lubes like TriFlow but they collect too much dirt. Since switching to White Lightening I
get extended life on my chains and never clean them. The only drawback to WL is that you have to use
it after each ride. I just replaced a chain that had 3000 mostly dirt miles on it. YMMV. I don't
often get to ride in wet/mud like a lot of others.

Gary

I recently replaced a Chorus 9 speed chain after 15,000 km's. It was worn but still usable. I'm pretty happy with that much wear out of a chain. I clean it with degreaser once a week, better than having a black sticky dirty looking chain.

Originally posted by petal666
I recently replaced a Chorus 9 speed chain after 15,000 km's. It was worn but still usable. I'm pretty happy with that much wear out of a chain. I clean it with degreaser once a week, better than having a black sticky dirty looking chain.

Ooops, this is a mtb forum. Oh well.

"Cipher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...
> John Morgan wrote:
> > On a side note, they seem to all agree that you should not wash off
that
> > icky packing grease on your new chains, as doing so can remove
essential
> > lubrication from the internals of the chain-- and that can be
difficult
> > to replace by regular lubing. -John Morgan
>

> I was recently at a LBS, and the mechanic stated the same thing. That 'icky packing grease'
> slopped over the chain is actually a wax based lubricant.

Yes, in SRAM's case, they call it some fancy name which I won't go to their website again to
find out, but I will say it pretty much pisses me off that they don't have the decency to TELL
you not to clean it off. I have been told, as have countless others no doubt, that the **** that
the chain arrives with is only a shipping non-corrosive that needs to be removed before you lube
the chain the first time. It definitely is a stiff product that logic suggests you would not
want left on the chain. Only by calling SRAM tech support about a Gold powerlink that broke on
the 2nd ride of a PC99 did I get the information that the chain was already lubed with the best
product available, according to SRAM, and my having stripped it off may have prematurely
weakened or shortened the chain's life. Lovely news. Why the heck don't they STATE IT ON THE
BOX??? My pet peeve is the failure of companies to provide information in appropriate places so
users can properly use the equipment they were willing to pay for in the first place! OK. Off
soapbox again...
--
D N I E T S Off to R the M __, D H

Reply to group. (Detestible spammers!)

petal666 scribbled on a scrap of paper:
> petal666 wrote:
> > I recently replaced a Chorus 9 speed chain after 15,000 km's. It
> was > worn but still usable. I'm pretty happy with that much wear out of a > chain. I clean it
> with degreaser once a week, better than having a black > sticky dirty looking chain.
>

> Ooops, this is a mtb forum. Oh well.

really now.. you wouldn't want to have any dirt on anything, would you...

ps

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 23:00:20 -0700, "John Morgan"
<[email protected]> wrote:

[Fvck that]

ProLink!

Peace, Bill ...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them, one speed to bring them all and
on the trails pass them In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...

I've never broken a chain and have used many that were 2nd-hand...

I remember in my early days 1971 the older guys would encourage a clean chain and the cook up some
of the lowest temp parafin in a can and dip our chains.

I found this relativly dry chain to be the lowest friction smoothest, but it only lasted a few
hundred miles, which was a once before every weekend ritual.

Questions: Of these broken chains, where is the break? Is it due to wear and thinning of the metal?
Is it due to friction?

I would think that improper link to pin pressing and fit would be the cause of most failures as this
would put stress on both the link and pin.

HTH

JeffP... Why does each thread dirgress into personal beating and stroking?

"petal666" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I recently replaced a Chorus 9 speed chain after 15,000 km's. It was worn but still usable. I'm
> pretty happy with that much wear out of a chain. I clean it with degreaser once a week, better
> than having a black sticky dirty looking chain.
>

> --

> > I recently replaced a Chorus 9 speed chain after 15,000 km's. It
was
> > worn but still usable. I'm pretty happy with that much wear out of
> > chain. I clean it with degreaser once a week, better than having a
black
> > sticky dirty looking chain.

> Questions: Of these broken chains, where is the break? Is it due
to wear and
> thinning of the metal? Is it due to friction?

> I would think that improper link to pin pressing and fit would be
the cause of
> most failures as this would put stress on both the link and pin.

Who said anything about broken chains?

-John Morgan