Chain Idlers

Harry Brogan

Guest
Is there a possible way to remove the teflon tubes currently on my
Tadpole and replace them with chain idlers????

I have seen a few posts in other forums asking about this. I am just
wondering if there is any benefit in doing something like this.

Any suggestions?

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle.....

....I no longer despair for the human race.

---H.G. Wells---

"Harry Brogan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is there a possible way to remove the teflon tubes currently on my
> Tadpole and replace them with chain idlers????
>
> I have seen a few posts in other forums asking about this. I am just
> wondering if there is any benefit in doing something like this.
>
> Any suggestions?
>

> Every time I see an adult on a bicycle.....
>
> ...I no longer despair for the human race.
>
> ---H.G. Wells---

I have some SWAG for you. I bought a TerraCycle idler set for my Trice. It's
a double pulley set and it can eliminate the need for tubes, but I kept the
front power side tube to keep chain gunk off of my leg. I had enough of
black calf disease for the years I had a RANS V-Rex. I also stuck several
layers of cold laminating film (copolyester (mylar)), purchased from an
office supply store on the chainstay and one seat cross member. The film is
tough and protects the trike parts from chain slap.

Your photos show a lot of snow, soon to be mud, glop and abrasive, possibly
mixed with salts. Do you think your current setup protects the chain from
the wet stuff, or do the tubes trap moisture?

A visit to www.terracycle.com will show if they carry a stock part(s) for
your ride. Pat Franz and company are a class act!

IMNSHO, I think taking the chain tubes off is a good thing. As long as there
are open tube ends, liquid will run into the tubes and contaminate your
chain. With a bare (or mostly) bare chain you are more likely to wipe it
down and clean/lube it. Winter grime is also hard on the chain rings and
cogs if you don't keep the chain clean. YMMV, but I think chain maintenance
on my Speedmachine (top and bottom chain tubes) is, compaired to the Trice,
a PITA.

gotbent, aka frvt rider

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 10:52:13 -0600, "gotbent" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Harry Brogan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Is there a possible way to remove the teflon tubes currently on my
>> Tadpole and replace them with chain idlers????
>>
>> I have seen a few posts in other forums asking about this. I am just
>> wondering if there is any benefit in doing something like this.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>

>> Every time I see an adult on a bicycle.....
>>
>> ...I no longer despair for the human race.
>>
>> ---H.G. Wells---

>I have some SWAG for you. I bought a TerraCycle idler set for my Trice. It's
>a double pulley set and it can eliminate the need for tubes, but I kept the
>front power side tube to keep chain gunk off of my leg. I had enough of
>black calf disease for the years I had a RANS V-Rex. I also stuck several
>layers of cold laminating film (copolyester (mylar)), purchased from an
>office supply store on the chainstay and one seat cross member. The film is
>tough and protects the trike parts from chain slap.
>
>Your photos show a lot of snow, soon to be mud, glop and abrasive, possibly
>mixed with salts. Do you think your current setup protects the chain from
>the wet stuff, or do the tubes trap moisture?
>
>A visit to www.terracycle.com will show if they carry a stock part(s) for
>your ride. Pat Franz and company are a class act!
>
>IMNSHO, I think taking the chain tubes off is a good thing. As long as there
>are open tube ends, liquid will run into the tubes and contaminate your
>chain. With a bare (or mostly) bare chain you are more likely to wipe it
>down and clean/lube it. Winter grime is also hard on the chain rings and
>cogs if you don't keep the chain clean. YMMV, but I think chain maintenance
>on my Speedmachine (top and bottom chain tubes) is, compaired to the Trice,
>a PITA.
>
>gotbent, aka frvt rider

Yes I am afraid that all of that snow is already turning to
slush/mud/salt/sand mix. It does have a tendency of building up quite
a bit.

As much riding as I do I try to keep things as clean as I possibly
can. The chain gets cleaned and lubed at least once every two weeks.
Depending on how wet things get.

The tubes don't seem to trap water but it does seem as though my chain
get dirty quite quickly. That's why I though of removing them and
adding the idlers.