chain-line and usable cogs on 10spd?

[email protected] wrote:

> How expensive do you think it is? How much more quickly does the
> small-small or big-big combination wear the chain than the others? 1%
> more wear? 10% more wear? What about when you use the next to
> smallest or biggest cogs? How much extra wear do they cause than using
> the perfectly straight chain position gears?

What we see is lots of wear on the big ring when in big-big combos and
the Record or DA big rings are 'expensive'. The ring wear as the chain
comes off the ring toward the biggest cog wears these things quickly,
same with small-small.

> So Dave Thompson thinks an extra $34 of chain and cassette wear per
> year is very expensive if using the top end stuff.

geeezzz, everybody raves about the convenience of lever mounted
shifters, use the things!!!!

On 19 Oct 2005 05:47:48 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>What we see is lots of wear on the big ring when in big-big combos and
>the Record or DA big rings are 'expensive'. The ring wear as the chain
>comes off the ring toward the biggest cog wears these things quickly,
>same with small-small.

Don't you mean come *on* the ring? The lower chain half is fairly slack,
so shouldn't wear as quickly as the upper half.

Jasper

[email protected] wrote:
<snip>...........................> So Dave Thompson thinks an extra $34 of
chain and cassette wear per
> year is very expensive if using the top end stuff.

I sure do! Dave Thompson thinks it an unecessary expense. Spent only because
you wanted to have the "latest & greatest" to no practical end. I'm no
Luddite, but I really can't see the reason and rationale for 10 speed stuff,
made by anyone, at least for the 'normal' rider. Almost two large for a
top-end 10-speed build kit? And the associated "normal" expenses of the
consumables, chains, rings and cogs? C'mon, get serious.