chain tension

ride4him

Jan 30, 2005
What is the proper chain tension for a single speed? I use a single speed cassette not a fixed gear, no chain tensioner. After I changed out the rear tire the tension just doesn't seem the same.

ride4him said:
What is the proper chain tension for a single speed? I use a single speed cassette not a fixed gear, no chain tensioner. After I changed out the rear tire the tension just doesn't seem the same.
Presuming the chain line is "good" -- loose enough so the chain doesn't bind ... tight enough so that you can't unship it by applying lateral pressure (OR, back pedaling) to the chain.

ok I think it may have been to tight to begin with. Would it be ok to compare it to the tension on my 9spd mountain bike or is that completely different because of the deraileur?

alfeng said:
Presuming the chain line is "good" -- loose enough so the chain doesn't bind ... tight enough so that you can't unship it by applying lateral pressure (OR, back pedaling) to the chain.

ride4him said:
ok I think it may have been to tight to begin with. Would it be ok to compare it to the tension on my 9spd mountain bike or is that completely different because of the deraileur?
I think the chain tension on a bike with a derailleur is a fair starting point by which you can judge the tension on a single speed ...

With the understanding that there are some differences between bikes, you can nonetheless use the attached picture of one of my bikes to see that it is possible to have a chain that doesn't sag but whose chain is (AFAIK!) adjusted properly -- the crank & chain move freely in both directions ...

Remember, some sag is "okay" as long as defecting the chain won't unship it from the chainring/cog.

alfeng said:
I think the chain tension on a bike with a derailleur is a fair starting point by which you can judge the tension on a single speed ...

With the understanding that there are some differences between bikes, you can nonetheless use the attached picture of one of my bikes to see that it is possible to have a chain that doesn't sag but whose chain is (AFAIK!) adjusted properly -- the crank & chain move freely in both directions ...

Remember, some sag is "okay" as long as defecting the chain won't unship it from the chainring/cog.

Hey thanks for your help I got a chance to ride this last Saturday *temp was above 40 F* and it was smoother and quieter than before