chainring replacement

Gary

Guest
Is there a rule of thumb for replacing chainrings? 10,000 miles? 20,000?

Gary wrote:
> Is there a rule of thumb for replacing chainrings? 10,000 miles? 20,000?

A riding buddy of mine, a strong rider put about 100,000km into his
rings before he had to get a new big ring.

Gary wrote:
> Is there a rule of thumb for replacing chainrings? 10,000 miles? 20,000?

Change the chain regularly, use the least expensive compatible chain.
When riding if the rings/new chain are noisy or at the extreme,
skip-replace.

Kenny wrote:
> Gary wrote:
> > Is there a rule of thumb for replacing chainrings? 10,000 miles? 20,000?

> A riding buddy of mine, a strong rider put about 100,000km into his
> rings before he had to get a new big ring.

Yes, that's about the point where I had problems with mine as well.
But instead of getting a new one I just flipped it over so the chain
pressure is applied to the opposite side of the teeth. That may or may
not work for you depending on any special ramps and pins on the ring.