Chaote Squash?

In article <[email protected]>,
"SD" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > Ranee mentioned Chaote squash in one of her posts...
> >
> > I've only ever used it for planting in the garden as it makes a
> > beautiful vine. I've never actually cooked nor eaten it. ;-)
> >
> > What does it taste like and how would I prepare it?
> >

> Chayote...also known as pataste (at least here in Honduras). It's a
> staple. Slice it and steam with other veggies for a mixed vegetable
> dish. It's also used in vegetable soups. It has a very bland taste.
>
> SD

Appears so, thanks.
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ranee mentioned Chaote squash in one of her posts...
>
> I've only ever used it for planting in the garden as it makes a
> beautiful vine. I've never actually cooked nor eaten it. ;-)
>
> What does it taste like and how would I prepare it?

It is quite bland, especially if the fruit are allowed to grow large. Pick
them about 3in long and they have some flavour, you can steam (microwave)
them and serve with butter and pepper, or maybe a dash of sesame oil and
soy, or add near the end of cooking to a vege casserole. Don't overcook or
you will have pulp.

For those who have not grown it:
In a warm climate the most useful thing for the choko (chayote) is to grow
it over an unsightly building (fence, shed, henhouse etc) as it will cover
in a few months if fed and watered well. Frost will kill it so in a frosty
area you have to save some fruit at the end of the season and re-plant next
spring. AFAIK it has the distinction of being the only curcurbit whose
seeds germinate inside the fruit.

David

In article <[email protected]>,
"David Hare-Scott" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Ranee mentioned Chaote squash in one of her posts...
> >
> > I've only ever used it for planting in the garden as it makes a
> > beautiful vine. I've never actually cooked nor eaten it. ;-)
> >
> > What does it taste like and how would I prepare it?
> >

> It is quite bland, especially if the fruit are allowed to grow large. Pick
> them about 3in long and they have some flavour, you can steam (microwave)
> them and serve with butter and pepper, or maybe a dash of sesame oil and
> soy, or add near the end of cooking to a vege casserole. Don't overcook or
> you will have pulp.
>
> For those who have not grown it:
> In a warm climate the most useful thing for the choko (chayote) is to grow
> it over an unsightly building (fence, shed, henhouse etc) as it will cover
> in a few months if fed and watered well. Frost will kill it so in a frosty
> area you have to save some fruit at the end of the season and re-plant next
> spring. AFAIK it has the distinction of being the only curcurbit whose
> seeds germinate inside the fruit.
>
> David

I've noted that. :)

When I am buying one to plant, I look for one with a "tongue" as that is
supposed to indicate germination.
--

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> When I am buying one to plant, I look for one with a "tongue" as that is
> supposed to indicate germination.

No matter where it's planted nothin's gonna germinate from tongue. ;)

Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> Ranee mentioned Chaote squash in one of her posts...
>
> I've only ever used it for planting in the garden as it makes a
> beautiful vine. I've never actually cooked nor eaten it. ;-)
>
> What does it taste like and how would I prepare it?
>
> What are the best soil conditions for planting sweet potatoes?
> They are a member of the morning glory family and have the most
> beautiful blooms. I've never grown them successfully, I think the soil
> was too dense!
>
> Spring planting is right around the corner! <G>
>
> I may grow Okra again this year.

Is this like Pattypan squash? Greenish-white or maybe yellow and sort of
flat - disk shaped?

It's lovely if you cut the top off and scoop out the center, then saute the
'meat' of the squash with a mixture of wheat germ in butter and some tiny
(salad)shrimp. Sprinkle with shredded cheese (optional). Then place it
under the broiler for 5-7 minutes.

Jill

jmcquown wrote:

> It's lovely if you cut the top off and scoop out the center, then saute the
> 'meat' of the squash with a mixture of wheat germ in butter and some tiny
> (salad)shrimp. Sprinkle with shredded cheese (optional). Then place it
> under the broiler for 5-7 minutes.

No. This is a pear shaped squash. It is green. The older it gets, the
more wrinkled. It can have either a smooth skin or a prickly skin. We
get both kids here.

SD

David Hare-Scott wrote:

> For those who have not grown it:
> In a warm climate the most useful thing for the choko (chayote) is to grow
> it over an unsightly building (fence, shed, henhouse etc) as it will cover
> in a few months if fed and watered well. Frost will kill it so in a frosty
> area you have to save some fruit at the end of the season and re-plant next
> spring. AFAIK it has the distinction of being the only curcurbit whose
> seeds germinate inside the fruit.

Here the locals set 4 posts, about 6 feet in height, in the ground.
They string nylon rope between the posts in a net like fashion and
allow the pataste (chayote) to climb up on it to grow. No squash on the
ground. You just walk under the "pataste arbor" to harvest it. We have
acres and acres of it just outside of town. Every one grows it

SD

OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> So, like winter squashes, they could be used for pies too.
>
> Thanks!

I've never had choko in a pie, and I couldn't find a recipe for you, but I
do know that you can stew them with sugar and spices, much as you would
apple (you could include an apple or pear with them, and I did see one
recipe where they were stewed with pineapple juice, vanilla and sugar,
which might be interesting), and could use that as a pie filling I suppose.
I found a couple more recipes for you - I'll have to try some of these
myself. Maybe I can convince Rob to eat choko!

http://www.abc.net.au/newengland/stories/s1378766.htm
http://www.abc.net.au/newengland/stories/s1378812.htm

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

SD wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>

>> It's lovely if you cut the top off and scoop out the center, then
>> saute the 'meat' of the squash with a mixture of wheat germ in
>> butter and some tiny (salad)shrimp. Sprinkle with shredded cheese
>> (optional). Then place it under the broiler for 5-7 minutes.
>>

> No. This is a pear shaped squash. It is green. The older it gets, the
> more wrinkled. It can have either a smooth skin or a prickly skin. We
> get both kids here.
>
> SD

I'm not in South America, Sandy, so I don't know. Sorry! I only see these
and not that many of them:

http://www.foodsubs.com/Squashsum.html

Jill

In article <[email protected]>,
"Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >
> > When I am buying one to plant, I look for one with a "tongue" as that is
> > supposed to indicate germination.

> No matter where it's planted nothin's gonna germinate from tongue. ;)
>
> Sheldon

Depends on where it leads........ ;-)
--

"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > Ranee mentioned Chaote squash in one of her posts...
> >
> > I've only ever used it for planting in the garden as it makes a
> > beautiful vine. I've never actually cooked nor eaten it. ;-)
> >
> > What does it taste like and how would I prepare it?
> >
> > What are the best soil conditions for planting sweet potatoes?
> > They are a member of the morning glory family and have the most
> > beautiful blooms. I've never grown them successfully, I think the soil
> > was too dense!
> >
> > Spring planting is right around the corner! <G>
> >
> > I may grow Okra again this year.

> Is this like Pattypan squash? Greenish-white or maybe yellow and sort of
> flat - disk shaped?

No, it's big, wrinkly and sort of pear shaped.
Instead of multiple small seeds, it has one big one!
It's a climbing vine, fine stemmed. Not the thicker running vines you
see with pattypan and other summer squashes.

> It's lovely if you cut the top off and scoop out the center, then saute the
> 'meat' of the squash with a mixture of wheat germ in butter and some tiny
> (salad)shrimp. Sprinkle with shredded cheese (optional). Then place it
> under the broiler for 5-7 minutes.

I love pattypan... I generally just steam it in wedges.

--

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > >
> > > When I am buying one to plant, I look for one with a "tongue" as that

is
> > > supposed to indicate germination.

> > No matter where it's planted nothin's gonna germinate from tongue. ;)
> >
> > Sheldon
> >

> Depends on where it leads........ ;-)

You didn't hear about the Chaote that got preggers in the swimming
pool...???

--
Best
Greg

In article <[email protected]>,
"Gregory Morrow"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,

> is
> > >
> > > No matter where it's planted nothin's gonna germinate from tongue. ;)
> > >
> > > Sheldon
> > >

> > Depends on where it leads........ ;-)

> You didn't hear about the Chaote that got preggers in the swimming
> pool...???

No, but I heard about the one that caught an STD out of the hot tub!
--

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> Ranee mentioned Chaote squash in one of her posts...
>
> I've only ever used it for planting in the garden as it makes a
> beautiful vine. I've never actually cooked nor eaten it. ;-)
>
> What does it taste like and how would I prepare it?
>
> What are the best soil conditions for planting sweet potatoes?
> They are a member of the morning glory family and have the most
> beautiful blooms. I've never grown them successfully, I think the soil
> was too dense!
>
> Spring planting is right around the corner! <G>
>
> I may grow Okra again this year.
> --
> Peace, Om.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

===
Chayote, as we call them in Puerto Rico (PR), is a very bland squash type veggie.
In PR we used to plant them at any time of the year, it is a vine and will yield an
abundant crop. One of the ways we serve chayote was cooked and stuffed with
seasoned ground beef with a side of white rice and red kidney beans. Chayote is
also boiled and served as part of a salad. This is one veggie that can be served
in many ways.

Matter of fact, I think I will go to the grocery store and get some for this
weekend.

Cheers,

Ray
Austin, TX
===

In article <[email protected]>,
"Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > Ranee mentioned Chaote squash in one of her posts...
> >
> > I've only ever used it for planting in the garden as it makes a
> > beautiful vine. I've never actually cooked nor eaten it. ;-)
> >
> > What does it taste like and how would I prepare it?
> >
> > What are the best soil conditions for planting sweet potatoes?
> > They are a member of the morning glory family and have the most
> > beautiful blooms. I've never grown them successfully, I think the soil
> > was too dense!
> >
> > Spring planting is right around the corner! <G>
> >
> > I may grow Okra again this year.
> > --
> > Peace, Om.
> >
> > "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack
> > Nicholson

> ===
> Chayote, as we call them in Puerto Rico (PR), is a very bland squash type
> veggie.
> In PR we used to plant them at any time of the year, it is a vine and will
> yield an
> abundant crop. One of the ways we serve chayote was cooked and stuffed with
> seasoned ground beef with a side of white rice and red kidney beans. Chayote
> is
> also boiled and served as part of a salad. This is one veggie that can be
> served
> in many ways.
>
> Matter of fact, I think I will go to the grocery store and get some for this
> weekend.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ray
> Austin, TX
> ===

Thanks for the Input! :)
I believe Fiesta in Austin carries them routinely.
--

jmcquown wrote:
> SD wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >

> >> It's lovely if you cut the top off and scoop out the center, then
> >> saute the 'meat' of the squash with a mixture of wheat germ in
> >> butter and some tiny (salad)shrimp. Sprinkle with shredded cheese
> >> (optional). Then place it under the broiler for 5-7 minutes.
> >>

> > No. This is a pear shaped squash. It is green. The older it gets, the
> > more wrinkled. It can have either a smooth skin or a prickly skin. We
> > get both kinds here.
> >
> > SD

> I'm not in South America, Sandy, so I don't know. Sorry! I only see these
> and not that many of them:
>
> http://www.foodsubs.com/Squashsum.html
>
> Jill

Hey..you asked it was like a pattypan squash. I simply replied no, it
is a pear shaped squash and described the skin. I've seen them all over
in the markets in the US where there are large Hispanic populations.
Sheesh, no need to get defensive and bent out of shape about the
answer. I've seen them all over in the markets in the US where there
are large Hispanic populations.

BTW, I'm not in South American either.

SD

"SD" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

.. I've seen them all over in the markets in the US
> where there are large Hispanic populations.
>
> BTW, I'm not in South American either.

Funnily enough, they're also all over Australia, have been for many, many
years, in areas with small and with non-existent Hispanic populations <g>
At one stage (when my mum was young) choko vines grew in almost every
backyard. They grow so well that they became a staple food for those with
little money,especially during the Depression. There are a lot of older
Aussies who ate so many of them that they wouldn't be able to face one now!

They are easily available, but they're not that popular - probably because
of that history. I like them, though, and will probably plant a choko vine
against my garage wall when I get around to sorting out the backyard.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia