cheap gatorade alternative

Leo Lichtman wrote:
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> This is a joke, right? How are you supposed to absorb oxygen through the
> stomach? Yet, I can give you one that is even more ridiculous. I knew a
> mother who would give her children carbonated drinks when they were sick, on
> the theory that the CO2 provided them with needed oxygen. But, she was a
> dumb peroxide blonde.

The whole idea is pretty much a joke. If someone doesn't like
Gatorade, or any other branded product, that's fine with me. But lot's
of folks do like it. As to making a "cheap" alternative that is the
joke part. How much can you save? I ride every day in the southern
Arizona desert. So, it is pretty warm. I use 2-3 large cans of powdered
Gatorade a year. I'm going to be hard pressed to save much on my total
cost of ~$50 per year to support 5-6000 miles of riding as that comes
out to less than $.25 per ride and less than $.01 per mile.

It's the club coffee break after the ride that is expensive ;-)

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 03:08:02 -0400, Terry Morse <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Pat in TX" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> There is more to electrolytes that just sodium chloride. You need to
>> study
>> some more.

> Yet the only electrolyte that's been shown to get depleted to
> performance affecting levels is sodium. Sweating out all your sodium
> stores can make you very sick.
>
> Plenty of anecdotes that potassium can help prevent muscle cramps,
> though.

I generally use dextrose (blood sugar), protein (whey), and "low salt",
which has both salt and potassium.

--
Bob in CT

"gds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Leo Lichtman wrote:
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> This is a joke, right? How are you supposed to absorb oxygen through the
>> stomach? Yet, I can give you one that is even more ridiculous. I knew a
>> mother who would give her children carbonated drinks when they were sick,
>> on
>> the theory that the CO2 provided them with needed oxygen. But, she was a
>> dumb peroxide blonde.

> The whole idea is pretty much a joke. If someone doesn't like
> Gatorade, or any other branded product, that's fine with me. But lot's
> of folks do like it. As to making a "cheap" alternative that is the
> joke part. How much can you save? I ride every day in the southern
> Arizona desert. So, it is pretty warm. I use 2-3 large cans of powdered
> Gatorade a year. I'm going to be hard pressed to save much on my total
> cost of ~$50 per year to support 5-6000 miles of riding as that comes
> out to less than $.25 per ride and less than $.01 per mile.
>
> It's the club coffee break after the ride that is expensive ;-)

Well, I do not want to pay .10 for sugar and salt period.
Gatorade has limited flavors too which is the point here also.

trino wrote:
> "gds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Leo Lichtman wrote:
> >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >> This is a joke, right? How are you supposed to absorb oxygen through the
> >> stomach? Yet, I can give you one that is even more ridiculous. I knew a
> >> mother who would give her children carbonated drinks when they were sick,
> >> on
> >> the theory that the CO2 provided them with needed oxygen. But, she was a
> >> dumb peroxide blonde.

> > The whole idea is pretty much a joke. If someone doesn't like
> > Gatorade, or any other branded product, that's fine with me. But lot's
> > of folks do like it. As to making a "cheap" alternative that is the
> > joke part. How much can you save? I ride every day in the southern
> > Arizona desert. So, it is pretty warm. I use 2-3 large cans of powdered
> > Gatorade a year. I'm going to be hard pressed to save much on my total
> > cost of ~$50 per year to support 5-6000 miles of riding as that comes
> > out to less than $.25 per ride and less than $.01 per mile.
> >
> > It's the club coffee break after the ride that is expensive ;-)

> Well, I do not want to pay .10 for sugar and salt period.
> Gatorade has limited flavors too which is the point here also.

Shakespear called it "Much Ado About Nothing"

> The whole idea is pretty much a joke. If someone doesn't like
> Gatorade, or any other branded product, that's fine with me. But lot's
> of folks do like it. As to making a "cheap" alternative that is the
> joke part. How much can you save? I ride every day in the southern
> Arizona desert. So, it is pretty warm. I use 2-3 large cans of powdered
> Gatorade a year. I'm going to be hard pressed to save much on my total
> cost of ~$50 per year to support 5-6000 miles of riding as that comes
> out to less than $.25 per ride and less than $.01 per mile.

He makes sense. Gatorade or Powerade is really not all that expensive,
especially if you pick it up in the supermarket (as opposed to a
convenient store) and water it down. This seems like the kind of stuff
that if you start splitting hairs as to what's best to drink, you never
stop splitting hairs. If you're thirsty, drink something: water,
Kool-Aid, Gatorade, juice, whatever. Whatever satisfies your mouth and
keeps you going.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>> The whole idea is pretty much a joke. If someone doesn't like
>> Gatorade, or any other branded product, that's fine with me. But lot's
>> of folks do like it. As to making a "cheap" alternative that is the
>> joke part. How much can you save? I ride every day in the southern
>> Arizona desert. So, it is pretty warm. I use 2-3 large cans of powdered
>> Gatorade a year. I'm going to be hard pressed to save much on my total
>> cost of ~$50 per year to support 5-6000 miles of riding as that comes
>> out to less than $.25 per ride and less than $.01 per mile.
>>

> He makes sense. Gatorade or Powerade is really not all that expensive,
> especially if you pick it up in the supermarket (as opposed to a
> convenient store) and water it down. This seems like the kind of stuff
> that if you start splitting hairs as to what's best to drink, you never
> stop splitting hairs. If you're thirsty, drink something: water,
> Kool-Aid, Gatorade, juice, whatever. Whatever satisfies your mouth and
> keeps you going.

I was not trying to split hairs. I just offered an alternative to sports
drinks. Some thought it was a good idea which is what I was going for. Not
a war. I was flamed plenty and some people just do not get it. We are all
allowed an opinion. Why was I ridiculed? No good turn goes unpunished.
Makes me think twice about coming back here when everybody gets so offensive
over a simple suggestion. which was by the way supported by a nutritionist
for the drinks and the bars.
So kill me.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>> The whole idea is pretty much a joke. If someone doesn't like
>> Gatorade, or any other branded product, that's fine with me. But lot's
>> of folks do like it. As to making a "cheap" alternative that is the
>> joke part. How much can you save? I ride every day in the southern
>> Arizona desert. So, it is pretty warm. I use 2-3 large cans of powdered
>> Gatorade a year. I'm going to be hard pressed to save much on my total
>> cost of ~$50 per year to support 5-6000 miles of riding as that comes
>> out to less than $.25 per ride and less than $.01 per mile.
>>

> He makes sense. Gatorade or Powerade is really not all that expensive,
> especially if you pick it up in the supermarket (as opposed to a
> convenient store) and water it down. This seems like the kind of stuff
> that if you start splitting hairs as to what's best to drink, you never
> stop splitting hairs. If you're thirsty, drink something: water,
> Kool-Aid, Gatorade, juice, whatever. Whatever satisfies your mouth and
> keeps you going.

Besides If you buy it by the bottle it sure as hell is a big expense.
Sugar and salt plus water is still free almost. It is just not as fancy,
and status branded. If they said sewer water was good for you would you buy
it. Russia in fact uses it to cure all their diseases so I guess that was a
bad example for my purposes but you know what I am saying.
Have a good life
wonderful day today

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 14:09:21 -0400, gds <[email protected]> wrote:

> trino wrote:
>> "gds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> through the

>> knew a

>> sick,

>> was a
>> >
>> > The whole idea is pretty much a joke. If someone doesn't like
>> > Gatorade, or any other branded product, that's fine with me. But lot's
>> > of folks do like it. As to making a "cheap" alternative that is the
>> > joke part. How much can you save? I ride every day in the southern
>> > Arizona desert. So, it is pretty warm. I use 2-3 large cans of

>> powdered
>> > Gatorade a year. I'm going to be hard pressed to save much on my total
>> > cost of ~$50 per year to support 5-6000 miles of riding as that comes
>> > out to less than $.25 per ride and less than $.01 per mile.
>> >
>> > It's the club coffee break after the ride that is expensive ;-)

>> Well, I do not want to pay .10 for sugar and salt period.
>> Gatorade has limited flavors too which is the point here also.

> Shakespear called it "Much Ado About Nothing"

I also make my own replenishment drink. I use dextrose, protein, and
other stuff. To each his own.

--
Bob in CT

"Bob in CT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 14:09:21 -0400, gds <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> trino wrote:
>>> "gds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> through the
>>> knew a
>>> sick,
>>> was a

>>> powdered

>>> Well, I do not want to pay .10 for sugar and salt period.
>>> Gatorade has limited flavors too which is the point here also.

>> Shakespear called it "Much Ado About Nothing"
>>

> I also make my own replenishment drink. I use dextrose, protein, and
> other stuff. To each his own.
>
> --
> Bob in CT
> I also make my own replenishment drink. I use dextrose, protein, and
> other stuff. To each his own.

protein is good too for performance
there is a good article on energy bars at olsen on your side as well.
http://vancouver.ctv.ca/olsen.jsp just do a search top right

suit yourself on those facts
have a g'day

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 13:56:52 -0400, trino <[email protected]>
wrote:

> "gds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Leo Lichtman wrote:
>>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>> This is a joke, right? How are you supposed to absorb oxygen through
>>> the
>>> stomach? Yet, I can give you one that is even more ridiculous. I
>>> knew a
>>> mother who would give her children carbonated drinks when they were
>>> sick,
>>> on
>>> the theory that the CO2 provided them with needed oxygen. But, she
>>> was a
>>> dumb peroxide blonde.

>> The whole idea is pretty much a joke. If someone doesn't like
>> Gatorade, or any other branded product, that's fine with me. But lot's
>> of folks do like it. As to making a "cheap" alternative that is the
>> joke part. How much can you save? I ride every day in the southern
>> Arizona desert. So, it is pretty warm. I use 2-3 large cans of powdered
>> Gatorade a year. I'm going to be hard pressed to save much on my total
>> cost of ~$50 per year to support 5-6000 miles of riding as that comes
>> out to less than $.25 per ride and less than $.01 per mile.
>>
>> It's the club coffee break after the ride that is expensive ;-)

> Well, I do not want to pay .10 for sugar and salt period.
> Gatorade has limited flavors too which is the point here also.

I also use my own drinks. I support you, even if Gatorade is cheap. And,
I used to ride (though not every day) in the southern and mid AZ desert
(thankfully, I moved from there).

--
Bob in CT

Bob in CT wrote:

> I also use my own drinks. I support you, even if Gatorade is cheap. And,
> I used to ride (though not every day) in the southern and mid AZ desert
> (thankfully, I moved from there).
>
> --
> Bob in CT

Gee, I moved here from CT. I wouldn't trade the Sonoran Desert for
anywhere!

"gds" wrote: Shakespear called it "Much Ado About Nothing"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Shakespear knew about Gatorade?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Trino wrote: Is is not a joke. did you go to the link?
Carbonated pop always cures my stomach upsets. BTW
same concept as ENO I suspect which is fruit salt. Extremely bubbly.
Correction She was a SMART peroxide blond.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My comment was on the idea of taking in oxygen through the stomach. And the
even more absurd idea that the oxygen in CO2 is what makes you feel better
when you drink it. She WAS a dumb peroxice blonde.

I am NOT disputing the fact that carbonated drinks can help settle an upset
stomach.

On 20 Jul 2006 11:12:18 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>> The whole idea is pretty much a joke. If someone doesn't like
>> Gatorade, or any other branded product, that's fine with me. But lot's
>> of folks do like it. As to making a "cheap" alternative that is the
>> joke part. How much can you save? I ride every day in the southern
>> Arizona desert. So, it is pretty warm. I use 2-3 large cans of powdered
>> Gatorade a year. I'm going to be hard pressed to save much on my total
>> cost of ~$50 per year to support 5-6000 miles of riding as that comes
>> out to less than $.25 per ride and less than $.01 per mile.
>>

>He makes sense. Gatorade or Powerade is really not all that expensive,
>especially if you pick it up in the supermarket (as opposed to a
>convenient store) and water it down. This seems like the kind of stuff
>that if you start splitting hairs as to what's best to drink, you never
>stop splitting hairs. If you're thirsty, drink something: water,
>Kool-Aid, Gatorade, juice, whatever. Whatever satisfies your mouth and
>keeps you going.

Double or Triple shot of expresso, three teaspoons of sugar fill with
water in a 1 liter Glacier "Smart Water" bottle, ; fits right in the
cage.

"Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "gds" wrote: Shakespear called it "Much Ado About Nothing"
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Shakespear knew about Gatorade?
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Trino wrote: Is is not a joke. did you go to the link?
> Carbonated pop always cures my stomach upsets. BTW
> same concept as ENO I suspect which is fruit salt. Extremely bubbly.
> Correction She was a SMART peroxide blond.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> My comment was on the idea of taking in oxygen through the stomach. And
> the even more absurd idea that the oxygen in CO2 is what makes you feel
> better when you drink it. She WAS a dumb peroxice blonde.
>
> I am NOT disputing the fact that carbonated drinks can help settle an
> upset stomach.

Most pop is carbonated so she still did the right thing whether she knows it
or not. Arguing about it is dumb.
O2 drinks is what the link was for. I did not make it up.

"R Brickston" <rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 20 Jul 2006 11:12:18 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
>>> The whole idea is pretty much a joke. If someone doesn't like
>>> Gatorade, or any other branded product, that's fine with me. But lot's
>>> of folks do like it. As to making a "cheap" alternative that is the
>>> joke part. How much can you save? I ride every day in the southern
>>> Arizona desert. So, it is pretty warm. I use 2-3 large cans of powdered
>>> Gatorade a year. I'm going to be hard pressed to save much on my total
>>> cost of ~$50 per year to support 5-6000 miles of riding as that comes
>>> out to less than $.25 per ride and less than $.01 per mile.
>>>

>>He makes sense. Gatorade or Powerade is really not all that expensive,
>>especially if you pick it up in the supermarket (as opposed to a
>>convenient store) and water it down. This seems like the kind of stuff
>>that if you start splitting hairs as to what's best to drink, you never
>>stop splitting hairs. If you're thirsty, drink something: water,
>>Kool-Aid, Gatorade, juice, whatever. Whatever satisfies your mouth and
>>keeps you going.

> Double or Triple shot of expresso, three teaspoons of sugar fill with
> water in a 1 liter Glacier "Smart Water" bottle, ; fits right in the
> cage.

Does adding salt make that taste better? Good thing is expresso has little
caffeine. Salt would help your ride.
I always drink dark coffee. and as much fair trade as I can buy
Premium idea!

"trino" wrote: (clip) Arguing about it is dumb. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I guess so, so I'll quit. Are you too dumb to do the same thing?

"Bob in CT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 13:56:52 -0400, trino <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> > "gds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> >> The whole idea is pretty much a joke. If someone doesn't like
> >> Gatorade, or any other branded product, that's fine with me. But lot's
> >> of folks do like it. As to making a "cheap" alternative that is the
> >> joke part. How much can you save? I ride every day in the southern
> >> Arizona desert. So, it is pretty warm. I use 2-3 large cans of powdered
> >> Gatorade a year. I'm going to be hard pressed to save much on my total
> >> cost of ~$50 per year to support 5-6000 miles of riding as that comes
> >> out to less than $.25 per ride and less than $.01 per mile.
> >>
> >> It's the club coffee break after the ride that is expensive ;-)

> > Well, I do not want to pay .10 for sugar and salt period.
> > Gatorade has limited flavors too which is the point here also.
> >

> I also use my own drinks. I support you, even if Gatorade is cheap. And,
> I used to ride (though not every day) in the southern and mid AZ desert
> (thankfully, I moved from there).
>
> --
> Bob in CT

I make my own version too...mostly because I think the standard Gatorade is
woefully deficient in electrolytes. From my research on the subject, even
full strength Gatorade doesn't have enough sodium, and it has almost no
potassium and no magnesium or calcium at all (all 4 of these have been
implicated in cramping issues).

~_-*
....G/ \G
http://www.CycliStats.com
CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

In article <a_tvg.214434$IK3.36307@pd7tw1no>,
"trino" <[email protected]> writes:

> popcorn same content as energy bar,

I wonder how dried pitted dates compare to energy bars?

During these hot summer days I'm appreciating Mediterranean-type
foods, especially fruits -- dates, figs, pomegranate (juice).
I gotta find a source for lots of Moro oranges, so I can get
some for juicing, some for just plain eatin'.

Olives are lovely too, for apres-ride.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

I'm not touting this as any sort of power drink but my drink is a mix of
pure unsweetened undiluted cranberry juice, diluted fruit juice of the
frozen concentrate variety.

I make up two 1.5 litre bottles [plus a 2 litre if I'm really going for a
long long haul] I fill one almost full and the other half full and put them
into the freezer. Come morning I fill the half full bottle so that by the
time I finish the first bottle the second is suitably melted. I store them
in the back pack against my back for added cooling.

Works for me.

"trino" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "trino" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> nutritionists can tell you that energy bars and gatorade are merely
>> sugar, salt and fibre.
>> they would rather have us consuming these for more bang for the buck.
>> popcorn same content as energy bar,
>>
>> gatorade recipe, 2 litre container
>> one kool aid package w/o sugar
>> 1/2 tsp salt
>> 1/2 c. sugar
>> 1 c. juice
>> Add to container and then fill with cold filtered water.
>> adjust to taste. Alot better for you than gatorade and other energy
>> drinks. I water mine down quite alot more.
>>

> I do not know if anyone here gets Street Cents but a few years back they
> did a double blind survey to see what sport drink was the best for energy
> boosting during a workout and the group of teenagers all picked the
> kool-aid.

And who better to choose what's nutritionally best than teenagers! ;)

But, let's see what's in powdered Gatorade Frost Glacier Freeze and compare
ingredient by ingredient.

Sucrose [sugar]
Anhydrous dextrose [sugar]
Citric Acid [if your juice is orange juice, that will have citric acid in
it]
Natural Flavors [This is "frost glacier freeze" flavor. What the heck is
natural "frost glacier freeze" flavor?]
Salt [salt]
Sodium Citrate [need chemical help, but would this be some combination of
the sodium in table salt and citric acid?]
Monopotassium phosphate [potassium, 30 mg per serving, 1% of daily
requirements; 1 cup of orange juice will have 450 mg]
Calcium Silicate, a flow agent [It's a flow agent; label says "not a
significant source of calcium"]
Coconut oil [and we all know what a great source of nutrition THAT is!]
Brominated vegetable oil
Blue 1 [dye; possibly much the same dye as Kool Aid]

So, on an ingredient by ingredient basis, your recipe seems to consist of
pretty much the same stuff.