cheap light good bottle cages

I have the Bontrager Race Lite cages. They look really cool for not being carbon. They were only $10 a piece I believe. They are 38 grams and are sturdy. I bought a $50 carbon cage from Planet Bike and it broke after a year of use but these Bontrager ones don't look like they'll break any time soon. Most importantly, I don't know one person who has lost a bottle with these.

bpatterson said:
I'm looking for a cheap light good bottle cage (kelly green won't hurt) or black
Before you go out and buy a $40 carbon cage, consider that the amount of weight you'll save with that cage versus a $7 alumium cage is at most 30g, probably less. That's less weight than a good gulp of water.

I got a couple aluminum cages, 43g each, for $3 on sale at performance bike.

it's not really the money ...this bike is a litespeed full durace orion II wheels and tri comp tires... mentally I just can't spend the 60 bucks for carbon cage when a "composite" is the ""same"" weight ..but I want one that looks good and minimal logo work

bpatterson said:
it's not really the money ...this bike is a litespeed full durace orion II wheels and tri comp tires... mentally I just can't spend the 60 bucks for carbon cage when a "composite" is the ""same"" weight ..but I want one that looks good and minimal logo work
Man, I don't want to sound like a cynic, but are we at risk of over thinking something like this? Why not just go to a store and buy one you think looks good on your bike? If the store doesn't have one, go to another one or look at some pictures on-line. I'm certainly not arguing against aesthetics taking precedence - I absolutely would too. Just buy one you like the looks of, and when you find one you like better, buy it!

For what it's worth, I'm in the market for a new cage and bottle(s) for my new(ish) bike to replace the beat up silver wire aluminum cage and the huge ugly green bottle I got as a promotional giveaway at some convention I was at last year. So I'm on your side, but plan to just buy one that looks good when I see it.

do not get these ultra light cabon cages.. they are complete garbage and your bottles will pop out on every good size bump or rought road.. profile design makes fairly inexpensive 33grams carbon cages that are indestructable and i have never had a bottle even close to coming out.... ~$30 Canadian

Profile has a "lime" colored cage that is fairly close to your "kelly green" request. Nashbar has it cheap at $2.99, and it's a whopping 40 grams. It has a removable o-ring that fits around the "wings" to hold the bottle even more securely than with just the normal tension. I have the same cage in black on two different bikes and have never dropped a bottle, even while mountain biking, without using the o-ring.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=72&subcategory=1025&brand=&sku=11800&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Cages

When Performance Bike had a web sale and discount shipping I got their CF Theta cage for $15 each. And they hold well and look sturdy enough and they look cool.

Hey, that Profile one looks good. :cool:

However, if you want Alloy, Velocity do a green one, about $8 in Aus. :D

Tacx Tao: price around 10 euros, weight less than 40 grams. The same cage you can see on pro's bikes.

bpatterson said:
On my ti Moots I use King titanium cages. They almost match the rest of the bike--if only I could get them bead blasted. Not really cheap, but not expensive either. I think I paid about $45 each.

I really wanted to like Tacx Tao's, but my frame is too small and I couldn't pull my bottles out of them since you really have to pull them up and out. I ended up with some of Performances carbon cages as they were inexpensive (on sale) pretty nice looking and you can pull the bottles out from the front. They hold my bottles nice and tight - no problems with the bottles rattling around or hopping out.