Cheap tires for indoor trainers?

Sarah Michelle

Nov 29, 2009
I just bought a bike trainer and I read somewhere that its best to use cheap tires when using the trainer and keep the everyday tires for cycling outside. It said something about the trainer heating up the tires and messing them up?

Is that true and should I buy cheaper tires for by bike if I will be cycling roughly 70 miles on the trainer every week?

The trainer will wear out tires much faster than the road. If all you're doing is riding on the trainer, then it's not really a problem to continue using the worn tires (I've never worn one completely through using the trainer), but the problem occurs if you try to take the worn tires back to the road on a nice day as the thin treads are very prone to punctures.

They also make trainer-specific tires, but I've never used them. I just keep my trainer tires separate and put them back on each winter.

Sarah Michelle said:
I just bought a bike trainer and I read somewhere that its best to use cheap tires when using the trainer and keep the everyday tires for cycling outside. It said something about the trainer heating up the tires and messing them up?

Is that true and should I buy cheaper tires for by bike if I will be cycling roughly 70 miles on the trainer every week?

I use the tires I wore out from the previous season for the trainer. I have not worn through one of these tires yet. If my tires were in good shape, I would buy a cheap tire from somewhere like performancebike.com. If you have an extra rear wheel, it is nice to put the old tire on one and a new tire on the other. When the weather is warm enough, I throw on my good wheel/tire and hit the road.

vspa said:
Continental has got one specific model

Vittoria makes one also. The Continental tire is yellow, the Vittoria is red. I have used the Conti, but has no experience with the Vittoria.

tacx trainer specific tire for me. used old road tires on the trainer one winter and i still find little rubber bits. as always, it's your choice.