CIrcumnavigating the globe

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Scrubby, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Scrubby

    Scrubby Guest

    I've been wondering how one starts to plan a trip around the world. Are there any good sources that
    specifically deal with information, routes, and the problems involved?

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Www.Raph.Nl

    Www.Raph.Nl Guest

    "Scrubby" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've been wondering how one starts to plan a trip around the world. Are there any good sources
    > that specifically deal with information, routes, and the problems involved?
    >
    > Thanks

    Hello Scrubby,

    A good place to start is Travel to the Horizon: www.raph.nl It contains over 700 links (validated
    weekly!) with information on cycling in almost all countries in teh world.

    CU!

    Raph www.raph.nl

  3. Scrubby wrote:

    > I've been wondering how one starts to plan a trip around the world. Are there any good sources
    > that specifically deal with information, routes, and the problems involved?

    Have you read any books written by previous world circumcylclists?

    (Ouch! That sounds painful.)

    There's a lot to be gleaned from those.

    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO CycleTourist at http://www.CycleTourist.com attbi.com Tolerance is
    recognizing that other people have different ideals and needs than you. Compromise is acting on
    that knowledge.

  4. Rmg

    Rmg Guest

  5. Pjl

    Pjl Guest

    Scrubby wrote:

    > I've been wondering how one starts to plan a trip around the world. Are there any good sources
    > that specifically deal with information, routes, and the problems involved?
    >
    > Thanks

    I pinned up a map of the world, looked a possible routes, found some travel guides and once I
    started just went with the flow.

    Have you read any books yet?

    Try "Miles from Nowhere" by Barbara Savage "Full Tilt: Dunkirk to Delhi by bicycle" by Dervla Murphy
    (for that matter any of her books) , "Off the Map: Bicycling across Siberia" by Mark Jenkins.

    Peter

  6. Wendy

    Wendy Guest

  7. Scrubby

    Scrubby Guest

    Thanks for your replies... good to have somewhere to start.