Cities Turning to Bicycles

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 10:20:07 -0500, [email protected]
(Matthew Russotto) wrote:

>Too bad the transmission and distribution losses are so high and the
>current technology for storage is so poor.

There is a pretty good storage system at Dinorwig. Transmission
losses are of course an issue (as they are with any form of fuel; you
cannot pump oil without using energy). OTOH local combined heat and
power installations are an option, with minimal transmisison distances
and collateral use of the waste heat (which also exists in large
quantities in the oil refining process).

The key here is flexibility. I can put a PV array on my roof and
generate up to 2/3 of my own domestic electricity requirements.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Matthew Russotto wrote:

>In article <ogccd.191841$wV.178195@attbi_s54>,
>Jack Dingler <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>http://www.globalpublicmedia.com/#Julian20041013
>>
>>There's talk about oil prices staying high, but they won't. They
>>represent negative feedback to the economy. Once enough jobs are shed
>>and especially after the economic downturn in 2005, I think oil prices
>>will be down to the mid-thirties.
>>
>>Matthew, you need to get on CNN and argue your case.
>>

>Why would I bother? Who, besides other Chicken Littles and those with
>vested interests in believing them, is going to listen to people who
>have announced that Oil Is Running Out many times before and been
>wrong each time?

Let's see, oil is a finite resource. When we use it, we burn it and what
we use is gone forever.

Does this mean...
A. Oil will last forever?
B. Oil will eventually run out?

If you chose 'A', the you must believe that oil is actually infinite in
quantity. You might believe that the Earth is flat or that the
accessible oil exceeds the volume of the universe.

If you believe in 'B', then you're just baiting me and lying about your
position, because we're not arguing whether oil will run out, but when.

Jack Dingler

In article <[email protected]>,
Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
>On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 10:20:07 -0500, [email protected]
>(Matthew Russotto) wrote:
>
>>Too bad the transmission and distribution losses are so high and the
>>current technology for storage is so poor.

>There is a pretty good storage system at Dinorwig.

Doesn't scale down to transportable applications, though.

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:59:33 -0500, [email protected]
(Matthew Russotto) wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>>There is a pretty good storage system at Dinorwig.

>Doesn't scale down to transportable applications, though.

Oh I dunno, a couple of thousand gallons of water in a tank on the
roof should at least slow the cagers down to the point they stop
killing people ;-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:38:02 GMT, Jack Dingler <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Matthew Russotto wrote:
>
>>In article <ogccd.191841$wV.178195@attbi_s54>,
>>Jack Dingler <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>http://www.globalpublicmedia.com/#Julian20041013
>>>
>>>There's talk about oil prices staying high, but they won't. They
>>>represent negative feedback to the economy. Once enough jobs are shed
>>>and especially after the economic downturn in 2005, I think oil prices
>>>will be down to the mid-thirties.
>>>
>>>Matthew, you need to get on CNN and argue your case.
>>>

>>Why would I bother? Who, besides other Chicken Littles and those with
>>vested interests in believing them, is going to listen to people who
>>have announced that Oil Is Running Out many times before and been
>>wrong each time?
>>

>Let's see, oil is a finite resource. When we use it, we burn it and what
>we use is gone forever.
>
>Does this mean...
>A. Oil will last forever?
>B. Oil will eventually run out?
>
>If you chose 'A', the you must believe that oil is actually infinite in
>quantity. You might believe that the Earth is flat or that the
>accessible oil exceeds the volume of the universe.
>
>If you believe in 'B', then you're just baiting me and lying about your
>position, because we're not arguing whether oil will run out, but when.
>
>Jack Dingler

There's a difference between, "Oil *will* run out", and "Oil *is*
running out."
We know it *will* run out. When is the question.
IMO, it's kinda rediculous to think that those who profit from energy
production & distribution aren't working to keep their income secure.
They can't make more oil than there is, so they *must* be working on a
replacement. It's economic suicide for them to not do this. They are
even getting various governments around the world to help fund this.
When oil *does* run out (and probably before) there will be something
to take it's place.
Remember ambergris? Now, we only find it by chance. We don't miss it
much.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Big Bill wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:38:02 GMT, Jack Dingler <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>

>>Let's see, oil is a finite resource. When we use it, we burn it and what
>>we use is gone forever.
>>
>>Does this mean...
>>A. Oil will last forever?
>>B. Oil will eventually run out?
>>
>>If you chose 'A', the you must believe that oil is actually infinite in
>>quantity. You might believe that the Earth is flat or that the
>>accessible oil exceeds the volume of the universe.
>>
>>If you believe in 'B', then you're just baiting me and lying about your
>>position, because we're not arguing whether oil will run out, but when.
>>
>>Jack Dingler
>>

>There's a difference between, "Oil *will* run out", and "Oil *is*
>running out."
>We know it *will* run out. When is the question.
>IMO, it's kinda rediculous to think that those who profit from energy
>production & distribution aren't working to keep their income secure.
>They can't make more oil than there is, so they *must* be working on a
>replacement. It's economic suicide for them to not do this. They are
>even getting various governments around the world to help fund this.
>When oil *does* run out (and probably before) there will be something
>to take it's place.
>Remember ambergris? Now, we only find it by chance. We don't miss it
>much.
>
>Bill Funk
>Change "g" to "a"

What's the replacement? What is this new source of energy? How soon can
we implement it? I think you assume that all problems have solutions.
It's been proven more than once in science and mathematics, that this is
a false assumption.

I personally, have no idea what could possibly replace oil in energy
concentration and convenience. Civilization has been exploiting ever
more concentrated and convenient forms of energy since man first started
burning wood. What's the next step?

I think to believe the sort of argument that you are proposing, assumes
that science is still somewhat in it's infancy, that our knowledge of
geology, energy, materials etc..., is till relatively unformed. It
requires I believe that level of understanding that existed over a
century ago, when man was still making basic discoveries about the
makeup of the Earth. I think that time is long past. If there were a
cheap abundant and easily used energy source ready to replace the
fossilized energy in oil, we'd already be using it. After all, wouldn't
it be cheaper and more abundant than petroleum, just as petroleum is
cheaper and more abundant than whale oil?

Here's a link describing ambergris and it's use as an agent in making
perfumes. I'm not sure what this has to do with energy and fuel.
http://www.netstrider.com/documents/ambergris/

Jack Dingler

"Jack Dingler" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> I personally, have no idea what could possibly replace oil in energy
> concentration and convenience. Civilization has been exploiting ever more
> concentrated and convenient forms of energy since man first started
> burning wood. What's the next step?

The way I like to think of it as a progression from wind and water power to
wood, coal, then finally oil. Recent history has been like a party, where
we went through the beer, then the wine, and are finishing the night
slamming tequila shots, living it up and seeing the world through rosy booze
goggles.

We have always known better, but ignore it. Right now, we are starting to
feel the first bad effects. Soon we will be in the toilet-gripping with dry
heaves phase. Tomorrow begins the long hangover.

According then the spokesmen and broadcasters (Brought to you by the GMC
Megaduty 4 ton truck. When way too much isn't near enough!) Now we are
supposed to go "forward" and fuel an increasing demand with wind and
"biomass" (sounds better than wood burning - doesn't it). Solar has yet to
be a serious contender, although solar panel plants in hellaciously windy
areas, such as the Aleutians make far better sense than hydrogen as an
energy carrier.

To me the only bright future is where we use technology to replace waste.
There is no reason a life that consumes 20% of the energy we do now would
not only be comfortable, but happier than the high-powered, slaves at the
wheel, he who buys and throws away the most **** wins society.

Speaking of energy storage

Since mountain reservoirs are pretty rare, I thought about using huge round
stone or concrete blocks, linked into a web like a cab driver's beaded seat
cover, and pulled or lowered on a mountain side.

The numbers are easy to figure (lifting 550lbs 1'/sec = 750 watts). The
result is pretty feasible, and easier to safeguard than a dam is. Also, I
think it would be cool "modern art".

I think the greatest change will be energy prices changing hourly based on
supply of wind/solar, etc. For example, you would set the price for your
electric car to wait and charge at. When the stones are at the top of the
mountain (so to speak) electricity would be cheapest.

> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:59:33 -0500, [email protected]
> (Matthew Russotto) wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:
>
>>>There is a pretty good storage system at Dinorwig.

>>Doesn't scale down to transportable applications, though.

> Oh I dunno, a couple of thousand gallons of water in a tank on the
> roof should at least slow the cagers down to the point they stop
> killing people ;-)
>
> Guy
> --
> May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
> http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
>
> 88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington University

"Robert Haston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Jack Dingler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> I personally, have no idea what could possibly replace oil in energy
>> concentration and convenience. Civilization has been exploiting ever more
>> concentrated and convenient forms of energy since man first started
>> burning wood. What's the next step?
>>

> The way I like to think of it as a progression from wind and water power
> to wood, coal, then finally oil. Recent history has been like a party,
> where we went through the beer, then the wine, and are finishing the night
> slamming tequila shots, living it up and seeing the world through rosy
> booze goggles.
>
> We have always known better, but ignore it. Right now, we are starting to
> feel the first bad effects. Soon we will be in the toilet-gripping with
> dry heaves phase. Tomorrow begins the l onghangover.

You trash actual history. The whole goal of civilization has been to
protect us from the ravages of nature, with a life expectancy of 28 years
at best. When transporation of food became practical with railroads, the
death rates began their sharp declines. It was the cheap transporation of
food which did it. Nature is not kind to us.

> According then the spokesmen and broadcasters (Brought to you by the GMC
> Megaduty 4 ton truck. When way too much isn't near enough!) Now we are
> supposed to go "forward" and fuel an increasing demand with wind and
> "biomass" (sounds better than wood burning - doesn't it). Solar has yet
> to be a serious contender, although solar panel plants in hellaciously
> windy areas, such as the Aleutians make far better sense than hydrogen as
> an energy carrier.
>
> To me the only bright future is where we use technology to replace waste.
> There is no reason a life that consumes 20% of the energy we do now would
> not only be comfortable, but happier than the high-powered, slaves at the
> wheel, he who buys and throws away the most **** wins society.

You are wrong. You must think that food comes from supermarkets and is
not grown and transported.

In article <[email protected]>,
Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
>On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:59:33 -0500, [email protected]
>(Matthew Russotto) wrote in message
><[email protected]>:
>
>>>There is a pretty good storage system at Dinorwig.

>>Doesn't scale down to transportable applications, though.

>Oh I dunno, a couple of thousand gallons of water in a tank on the
>roof should at least slow the cagers down to the point they stop
>killing people ;-)

Given the poor handling characteristics of such a vehicle, I rather
expect it would and could kill at almost any speed.

In article <XeYcd.493496$8_6.260255@attbi_s04>,
Jack Dingler <[email protected]> wrote:

>What's the replacement? What is this new source of energy? How soon can
>we implement it? I think you assume that all problems have solutions.
>It's been proven more than once in science and mathematics, that this is
>a false assumption.

So your claim remains that there is no solution and we're all going to
die prematurely. OK. Suppose, for the sake of argument, I assume
this is true? What practical results does it lead to? What actions
does it recommend? None -- therefore it's a foolish assumption to make.

>I personally, have no idea what could possibly replace oil in energy
>concentration and convenience. Civilization has been exploiting ever
>more concentrated and convenient forms of energy since man first started
>burning wood. What's the next step?

If I knew, I'd be making a fortune developing it.

>I think to believe the sort of argument that you are proposing, assumes
>that science is still somewhat in it's infancy, that our knowledge of
>geology, energy, materials etc..., is till relatively unformed. It
>requires I believe that level of understanding that existed over a
>century ago, when man was still making basic discoveries about the
>makeup of the Earth. I think that time is long past. If there were a

"The advancement of the arts, from year to year, taxes our credulity
and seems to presage the arrival of that period when human improvement
must end." -- Patent Office Commissioner Henry Ellsworth (1943)

"What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will
be done; there is nothing new under the sun" -- Ecclesiastes 1:9 (antiquity)

George Conklin wrote:

>"Robert Haston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>

>>"Jack Dingler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>

>>>I personally, have no idea what could possibly replace oil in energy
>>>concentration and convenience. Civilization has been exploiting ever more
>>>concentrated and convenient forms of energy since man first started
>>>burning wood. What's the next step?
>>>

>>The way I like to think of it as a progression from wind and water power
>>to wood, coal, then finally oil. Recent history has been like a party,
>>where we went through the beer, then the wine, and are finishing the night
>>slamming tequila shots, living it up and seeing the world through rosy
>>booze goggles.
>>
>>We have always known better, but ignore it. Right now, we are starting to
>>feel the first bad effects. Soon we will be in the toilet-gripping with
>>dry heaves phase. Tomorrow begins the l onghangover.
>>

> You trash actual history. The whole goal of civilization has been to
>protect us from the ravages of nature, with a life expectancy of 28 years
>at best. When transporation of food became practical with railroads, the
>death rates began their sharp declines. It was the cheap transporation of
>food which did it. Nature is not kind to us.

That is true of societies living on the margins. But an average life
span of 28 years (excluding infant mortality), was not the norm. And it
wasn't food that changed infant mortality, but cleaner water, better
sewage treatment, and better medicine. With these advances, adult
mortality has gained decade or so.

Also, I've never heard of anyone arguing that civilization had a goal.
That's sort of like saying that trees or tumors have goals. Perhaps pond
scum has goals too?

But still, I don't see where Robert made this argument. You just stuck
it in there because you were unable to actually stay on topic. If you're
going to start off a new topic, why not write a new article with a new
subject line? Or are you arguing that man hasn't used wood, water,
charcoal, coal, gas, oil and uranium for energy sources?

>>According then the spokesmen and broadcasters (Brought to you by the GMC
>>Megaduty 4 ton truck. When way too much isn't near enough!) Now we are
>>supposed to go "forward" and fuel an increasing demand with wind and
>>"biomass" (sounds better than wood burning - doesn't it). Solar has yet
>>to be a serious contender, although solar panel plants in hellaciously
>>windy areas, such as the Aleutians make far better sense than hydrogen as
>>an energy carrier.
>>
>>To me the only bright future is where we use technology to replace waste.
>>There is no reason a life that consumes 20% of the energy we do now would
>>not only be comfortable, but happier than the high-powered, slaves at the
>>wheel, he who buys and throws away the most **** wins society.
>>

> You are wrong. You must think that food comes from supermarkets and is
>not grown and transported.

How'd you jump way out over there George? Yoo Hoo! George, come back,
we're over here! Can you hear me?!!!

Jack Dingler

In article <[email protected]>,
Robert Haston <[email protected]> wrote:

>To me the only bright future is where we use technology to replace waste.
>There is no reason a life that consumes 20% of the energy we do now would
>not only be comfortable, but happier than the high-powered, slaves at the
>wheel, he who buys and throws away the most **** wins society.

OK, that's one vote for shivering in the dark. (and if it ain't, show
me where I can eliminate 80% of energy consumption and still be
comfortable).

Matthew Russotto wrote:

>In article <XeYcd.493496$8_6.260255@attbi_s04>,
>Jack Dingler <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>What's the replacement? What is this new source of energy? How soon can
>>we implement it? I think you assume that all problems have solutions.
>>It's been proven more than once in science and mathematics, that this is
>>a false assumption.
>>

>So your claim remains that there is no solution and we're all going to
>die prematurely. OK. Suppose, for the sake of argument, I assume
>this is true? What practical results does it lead to? What actions
>does it recommend? None -- therefore it's a foolish assumption to make.

How is any death deemed to be premature?

Are you saying we should ignore all problems that might lead to bad
results? And if faced with an issue that could cause a disaster, then
it's foolish to assume it's real? Unless your words have a secret coded
meaning, I think this is the argument you are making. That when faced
with tough, sometimes unsolvable problems, the best course is to ignore
them as they don't really exist.

I think then, following your argument, only an idiot would discuss the
fall of Rome, because there is no solution that we can implement to
prevent the fall. Clearly this is in the bad news category of events we
should pretend don't happen.

>>I personally, have no idea what could possibly replace oil in energy
>>concentration and convenience. Civilization has been exploiting ever
>>more concentrated and convenient forms of energy since man first started
>>burning wood. What's the next step?
>>

>If I knew, I'd be making a fortune developing it.

So would anyone else. Yet no one is.

>>I think to believe the sort of argument that you are proposing, assumes
>>that science is still somewhat in it's infancy, that our knowledge of
>>geology, energy, materials etc..., is till relatively unformed. It
>>requires I believe that level of understanding that existed over a
>>century ago, when man was still making basic discoveries about the
>>makeup of the Earth. I think that time is long past. If there were a
>>

>"The advancement of the arts, from year to year, taxes our credulity
>and seems to presage the arrival of that period when human improvement
>must end." -- Patent Office Commissioner Henry Ellsworth (1943)
>
>"What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will
>be done; there is nothing new under the sun" -- Ecclesiastes 1:9 (antiquity)

Our technological advancement has been ever driven to do more with ever
increasing quantities of energy. You vote as argued above is to stay the
course, and to ignore problems with this direction, as our wills will
prevail without a change of direction or effort.

I think it's foolish to ignore problems just because they are
unpleasant. But my upbringing was of one, were the attitude was to hope
for the best and prepare for the worst. Consistently your argument has
been to dream of the best and plan for the best, while pretending that
bad things don't ever happen.

For a time, I wondered how an engineer like yourself, could ignore
failure modes and design thing with the attitude that you never plan to
avoid the worst case, but looking at a Toro Trimmer I have, provides me
with understanding. Unlike the similar Craftsman model it replaced, this
one has a half moon grommet where the line feeds through. The Craftsman
model has a full circular grommet. As a result the Toro model, after
only a couple of hours of use, saw the line eating away the plastic
housing, then the line was quickly cut by the metal edges of the
grommet. It appears to be designed to fail. Likely with the notion that
with moderate use, you'll go buy another Toro trimmer to replace it. In
other words, it's designed to be disposable. And that I think
demonstrated the mindset of engineers like yourself. High failure rates
in products is actually a feature and a design implementation and not
something to be avoided.

So why not consider that civilizations are throw away items to? After
all, it looks like the US is being cashed out with jobs and industries
making a flight to Asia where fuel is cheaper and more abundant. Perhaps
that is the answer? Perhaps industry already recognizes the futility in
investing in the US and it's now time to toss it in the bin, for the
next new thing? Certainly, your attitude dovetails with this philosophy
in a round about fashion.

Jack Dingler

Matthew Russotto wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
>Robert Haston <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>To me the only bright future is where we use technology to replace waste.
>>There is no reason a life that consumes 20% of the energy we do now would
>>not only be comfortable, but happier than the high-powered, slaves at the
>>wheel, he who buys and throws away the most **** wins society.
>>

>OK, that's one vote for shivering in the dark. (and if it ain't, show
>me where I can eliminate 80% of energy consumption and still be
>comfortable).

I thought you were an engineer. :)

In the US, we can't do this. That's only possible in Europe. Ask any
Washington politician.

> That is true of societies living on the margins. But an average life span
> of 28 years (excluding infant mortality), was not the norm.

There is measured data from church records in England several hundred years
ago and from primitive tribes. The mortality curves are about the same.
There is a sharp drop from birth to 5 years old that I think half the kids
were still alive at 5. From 5 to 42 the chances of dying were the same at
all ages. You had the same chance of dying for example at 20 as you had of
dying at 40.

A person had a 2% chance of living to age 42. After 42 the chances of
dying went way down and a lot of people lived a life span up into old age
even into the 70s and 80s if not longer. The 2% living longer may have had
a genetic advantage or possibly were the wealth / nobility with a better
life, but that is a guess.

This is what was normal for societies until the last few hundred years.

The two most common causes of death were pneumonia (probably exposure, lack
of heat, heavy pollution, etc) and infection from cuts (no bath, filth,
etc.). Heating and baths were probably the main factors that increased
life span for the average person.

I did notice in the church grave yard in an old town type park in Va.
(Williamsburg?) that is seemed that 55 was about the life span even for the
wealthier people. At work we also get a lot of smokers that die in the 55
to 60 range. I wonder if they are both related to the heavy effects of high
pollution from cigarettes now or bad farm environments back in the past

Matthew Russotto wrote:

>In article <XeYcd.493496$8_6.260255@attbi_s04>,
>Jack Dingler <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>What's the replacement? What is this new source of energy? How soon can
>>we implement it? I think you assume that all problems have solutions.
>>It's been proven more than once in science and mathematics, that this is
>>a false assumption.
>>

>So your claim remains that there is no solution and we're all going to
>die prematurely. OK. Suppose, for the sake of argument, I assume
>this is true? What practical results does it lead to? What actions
>does it recommend? None -- therefore it's a foolish assumption to make.

I gave your argument more thought. I understand it now, though it's not
the way I normally think. It's really the argument of addiction, where
any reality that doesn't involve getting more and more of whatever the
addict is hooked on, is so terrofying that it's beyond comprehension.
Thus, the notion that energy consumption can't continue to rise through
our lifestimes, is so horrifying for you, that you are unable to face of
acknowledge the prospect, so instead you turn to denial and take comfort
in faith that the addiciton can be sustained without change or
discomfort, forever.

And that's really the crux of the matter. We are addicted to petroleum
and there is no other reality that the population at large can accept,
so we whistle and dream that someone out there, maybe God, will change
the rules, so that we don't have to change ourselves.

Jack Dingler

In article <cDadd.154513$He1.9071@attbi_s01>,
Jack Dingler <[email protected]> wrote:

>Matthew Russotto wrote:
>
>>In article <XeYcd.493496$8_6.260255@attbi_s04>,
>>Jack Dingler <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>What's the replacement? What is this new source of energy? How soon can
>>>we implement it? I think you assume that all problems have solutions.
>>>It's been proven more than once in science and mathematics, that this is
>>>a false assumption.
>>>

>>So your claim remains that there is no solution and we're all going to
>>die prematurely. OK. Suppose, for the sake of argument, I assume
>>this is true? What practical results does it lead to? What actions
>>does it recommend? None -- therefore it's a foolish assumption to make.
>>

>How is any death deemed to be premature?
>
>Are you saying we should ignore all problems that might lead to bad
>results? And if faced with an issue that could cause a disaster, then
>it's foolish to assume it's real? Unless your words have a secret coded
>meaning, I think this is the argument you are making. That when faced
>with tough, sometimes unsolvable problems, the best course is to ignore
>them as they don't really exist.

I am saying that the possibility that the problem (if it exists) may
be unsolvable is best ignored.

>>>I think to believe the sort of argument that you are proposing, assumes
>>>that science is still somewhat in it's infancy, that our knowledge of
>>>geology, energy, materials etc..., is till relatively unformed. It
>>>requires I believe that level of understanding that existed over a
>>>century ago, when man was still making basic discoveries about the
>>>makeup of the Earth. I think that time is long past. If there were a
>>>

>>"The advancement of the arts, from year to year, taxes our credulity
>>and seems to presage the arrival of that period when human improvement
>>must end." -- Patent Office Commissioner Henry Ellsworth (1943)
>>
>>"What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will
>>be done; there is nothing new under the sun" -- Ecclesiastes 1:9 (antiquity)
>>

>Our technological advancement has been ever driven to do more with ever
>increasing quantities of energy. You vote as argued above is to stay the
>course, and to ignore problems with this direction, as our wills will
>prevail without a change of direction or effort.

And your vote is what? You say the problem's unsolvable. In that
case, it doesn't matter what we do, we're doomed anyway.

>For a time, I wondered how an engineer like yourself, could ignore
>failure modes and design thing with the attitude that you never plan to
>avoid the worst case

I'm not an engineer. However, I note that there is a maxim in system
programming that one should never test for an error condition that you
don't know how to handle.

In article <fEadd.497366$8_6.323212@attbi_s04>,
Jack Dingler <[email protected]> wrote:
>Matthew Russotto wrote:
>
>>In article <[email protected]>,
>>Robert Haston <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>To me the only bright future is where we use technology to replace waste.
>>>There is no reason a life that consumes 20% of the energy we do now would
>>>not only be comfortable, but happier than the high-powered, slaves at the
>>>wheel, he who buys and throws away the most **** wins society.
>>>

>>OK, that's one vote for shivering in the dark. (and if it ain't, show
>>me where I can eliminate 80% of energy consumption and still be
>>comfortable).
>>

>I thought you were an engineer. :)

Nope. But I can do math, and I can see I can't eliminate 80% of my
personal energy consumption without sweltering in the heat and
shivering in the cold. That is, turning off my A/C and heat entirely would be
necessary (though not sufficient) to reduce my energy consumption by
that amount.

Free software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

"Matthew Russotto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I'm not an engineer. However, I note that there is a maxim in system
> programming that one should never test for an error condition that you
> don't know how to handle.

A sure recipe for disaster. I'd fire any such programmer.