Clang when hitting rough spots

Jorg Lueke

Guest
I definitely hear a loud clang when riding over rougher spots on
shoddy pavement. It sounds like it comes from right underneath me.
Would that be the stem bouncing a bit against the frame or some other
cause. It doesn't seem like it's coming chain.

Jorg Lueke wrote:
> I definitely hear a loud clang when riding over rougher spots on
> shoddy pavement. It sounds like it comes from right underneath me.
> Would that be the stem bouncing a bit against the frame or some other
> cause. It doesn't seem like it's coming chain.

It probably IS the chain, clanking off the chain stay. Other culprits
include your saddle bag, cleat/pedal noise (if unweighting), cyclometer
slightly loose in bracket, cables hitting the frame, etc. etc. etc.

It's the chain. :p

On Apr 30, 8:34 am, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Jorg Lueke wrote:
> > I definitely hear a loud clang when riding over rougher spots on
> > shoddy pavement. It sounds like it comes from right underneath me.
> > Would that be the stem bouncing a bit against the frame or some other
> > cause. It doesn't seem like it's coming chain.

> It probably IS the chain, clanking off the chain stay. Other culprits
> include your saddle bag, cleat/pedal noise (if unweighting), cyclometer
> slightly loose in bracket, cables hitting the frame, etc. etc. etc.
>
> It's the chain. :p

I suppose that is easy enough to fix then. So I shoul stop being lazy
and put in a chain guard. THEN if I still here it move on to the next
set of causes.

On Apr 29, 10:27 pm, Jorg Lueke <[email protected]> wrote:
> I definitely hear a loud clang when riding over rougher spots on
> shoddy pavement. It sounds like it comes from right underneath me.
> Would that be the stem bouncing a bit against the frame or some other
> cause. It doesn't seem like it's coming chain.

Do you have those rubber donuts on the rear brake cable where it runs
along the top tube? That is also a common cause of clanking.

Jorg Lueke wrote:
> On Apr 30, 8:34 am, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Jorg Lueke wrote:
>>> I definitely hear a loud clang when riding over rougher spots on
>>> shoddy pavement. It sounds like it comes from right underneath me.
>>> Would that be the stem bouncing a bit against the frame or some
>>> other cause. It doesn't seem like it's coming chain.

>> It probably IS the chain, clanking off the chain stay. Other
>> culprits include your saddle bag, cleat/pedal noise (if
>> unweighting), cyclometer slightly loose in bracket, cables hitting
>> the frame, etc. etc. etc.
>>
>> It's the chain. :p

> I suppose that is easy enough to fix then. So I shoul stop being lazy
> and put in a chain guard. THEN if I still here it move on to the next
> set of causes.

Nah, a chain guard will likely be louder! :)

Bounce the bike on your garage floor or driveway and listen for the clang.
Look carefully and do it again. Chains move/bounce around for a reason, of
course, but if it's way too slack you should take a link (or even two) out.
You might need a shop to help with this if you don't have a chain tool; have
them show you how to use one.

If it's not the chain, then you want to rule out anything mechanical like a
loose headset or bolt or front derailleur cage; like I said it could just be
your saddle bag bouncing around if you have one.

Let us know what you find!

Bill S.

On Apr 30, 6:32 pm, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Jorg Lueke wrote:

> >> It probably IS the chain, clanking off the chain stay. Other
> >> culprits include your saddle bag, cleat/pedal noise (if
> >> unweighting), cyclometer slightly loose in bracket, cables hitting
> >> the frame, etc. etc. etc.

> >> It's the chain. :p

> > I suppose that is easy enough to fix then. So I shoul stop being lazy
> > and put in a chain guard. THEN if I still here it move on to the next
> > set of causes.

> Nah, a chain guard will likely be louder! :)
>
> Bounce the bike on your garage floor or driveway and listen for the clang.
> Look carefully and do it again. Chains move/bounce around for a reason, of
> course, but if it's way too slack you should take a link (or even two) out.
> You might need a shop to help with this if you don't have a chain tool; have
> them show you how to use one.
>
> If it's not the chain, then you want to rule out anything mechanical like a
> loose headset or bolt or front derailleur cage; like I said it could just be
> your saddle bag bouncing around if you have one.
>
> Let us know what you find!
>
> Bill S.

I am ebarassed to report the actual cause. Last night I was doing the
monthly maintenance routine and suddenly I noticed that the end of my
hand pump was pretty loose. Loose enough to clang right against the
frame with a decent enough vibration. Duh! Today I fixed that issue
and the problem is gone. Funny how one can miss the obvious.

Jorg Lueke wrote:
> On Apr 30, 6:32 pm, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Jorg Lueke wrote:

>>> I suppose that is easy enough to fix then. So I shoul stop being
>>> lazy and put in a chain guard. THEN if I still here it move on to
>>> the next set of causes.

>> Nah, a chain guard will likely be louder! :)
>>
>> Bounce the bike on your garage floor or driveway and listen for the
>> clang. Look carefully and do it again. Chains move/bounce around
>> for a reason, of course, but if it's way too slack you should take a
>> link (or even two) out. You might need a shop to help with this if
>> you don't have a chain tool; have them show you how to use one.
>>
>> If it's not the chain, then you want to rule out anything mechanical
>> like a loose headset or bolt or front derailleur cage; like I said
>> it could just be your saddle bag bouncing around if you have one.
>>
>> Let us know what you find!
>>
>> Bill S.

> I am ebarassed to report the actual cause. Last night I was doing the
> monthly maintenance routine and suddenly I noticed that the end of my
> hand pump was pretty loose. Loose enough to clang right against the
> frame with a decent enough vibration. Duh! Today I fixed that issue
> and the problem is gone. Funny how one can miss the obvious.

AM/PM? Snooze? SEPARATE VOLUME CONTROLS!

Nice <eg>