Cleaning chain after using "White Lightning"

Luvjava

------=_NextPart_000_005B_01C3421D.CCCE9000 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

I know that White Lightning is to some extent self cleaning, but I = sometimes I must transport my
bike Inside my car, and really dont want = to trash my back seats with gunk.

What have other users of White Lightning found is the best way to remove = the residue prior to
reapplication of White Lightning?

Bill ------=_NextPart_000_005B_01C3421D.CCCE9000 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
6.00.2800.1170" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I know that White Lightning is to some = extent self=20 cleaning,
but I sometimes I must transport my bike Inside my car, and = really=20 dont want to trash my
back seats with gunk.</FONT></DIV>
<DV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DVI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>What have other <U>users</U> of = White=20 Lightning found
is the best way to remove the residue prior to = reapplication of=20 White
Lightning?</FONT></DIV>
<DVII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DVIII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIX><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Bill</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

Ken wrote:
> "luvjava" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>> What have other users of White Lightning found is the best way to remove the residue prior to
>> reapplication of White Lightning?
>
> Water works great.

Especially if you add some dishwashing detergent. Not the kind for machinewash, just the normal old
fashioned kind ;)

Sometimes I also use the same degreaser that I use before washing my car.

--
Perre

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C34226.CD6DA010 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

I use a citrus cleaner in a chain cleaning machine. Wash w/ soap an = water after let dry in sun.
Reapply White Lightning. I do this every 2 - = 3 weeks. Gets the grit out & chain is nice and clean.
news:[email protected]... I know that White Lightning is to some extent self

Bill ------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C34226.CD6DA010 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
6.00.2800.1170" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I use a citrus cleaner in a chain = cleaning machine.=20 Wash w/
soap an water after let dry in sun. Reapply White Lightning. I = do this=20 every 2 - 3 weeks.
Gets the grit out & chain is nice and = clean.</FONT></DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; = BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px
solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<DV>"luvjava" <<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]= </A>>=20 wrote in
message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:[email protected]">news:GUgNa.2972$ZT5.=
[email protected]</A>...</DIV>
<DVI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I know that White Lightning is to = some extent=20 self
cleaning, but I sometimes I must transport my bike Inside my car, = and=20 really dont want
to trash my back seats with gunk.</FONT></DIV>
<DVII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DVIII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>What have other <U>users</U> of = White=20 Lightning found
is the best way to remove the residue prior to = reapplication=20 of White
Lightning?</FONT></DIV>
<DIX><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DX><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DXI><FONT face=3DArial = size=3D2>Bill</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C34226.CD6DA010--

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01C34246.AC1A6220 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Be very careful with citrus cleaner. It's acidic and can mar the nice = shiny finish on your
expensive aluminum/titanium components. I cleaned = a cassette with citrus cleaner and it wrecked
the finish on the = lockring.

Blue Dawn dish washing soap is about the best (and safest) degreaser = there is.

news:[email protected]... I use a citrus cleaner in a chain cleaning

Bill ------=_NextPart_000_0025_01C34246.AC1A6220 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
6.00.2800.1170" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Be very careful with citrus = cleaner. It's=20 acidic and
can mar the nice shiny finish on your expensive = aluminum/titanium=20 components. I
cleaned a cassette with citrus cleaner and it = wrecked the=20 finish on the
lockring.</FONT></DIV>
<DV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DVI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Blue Dawn dish washing soap is about = the best (and=20
safest) degreaser there is.</FONT></DIV>
<DVII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DVIII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Trevor</FONT></DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; = BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px
solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<DIX>"JimP" <<A = href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>>=20 wrote in
message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:[email protected]">news:mLhNa.10287=
[email protected]</A>...</DIV>
<DX><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I use a citrus cleaner in a chain = cleaning=20 machine. Wash w/
soap an water after let dry in sun. Reapply White = Lightning.=20 I do this every 2 - 3
weeks. Gets the grit out & chain is nice and =

clean.</FONT></DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20 style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px;
MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; = BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<DXI>"luvjava" <<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]= </A>>=20 wrote in
message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:[email protected]">news:GUgNa.2972$ZT5.=
[email protected]</A>...</DIV>
<DXII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I know that White Lightning is to = some extent=20 self
cleaning, but I sometimes I must transport my bike Inside my = car, and=20 really dont
want to trash my back seats with gunk.</FONT></DIV>
<DXIII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DXIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>What have other <U>users</U> = of White=20 Lightning
found is the best way to remove the residue prior to = reapplication=20 of White
Lightning?</FONT></DIV>
<DXV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DXVI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DXVII><FONT face=3DArial=20 size=3D2>Bill</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01C34246.AC1A6220--

Try Pledge. That's what I use with Pedro's Ice Wax.

Mike Yankee

(Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

luvjava-<< What have other users of White Lightning found is the best way to remove = the residue
prior to reapplication of White Lightning? >><BR><BR>

Hot water and dish soap. Then use somethin else, like Prolink...We see so many whitelightening
systems really gunked up.

luvjava wrote:
> I know that White Lightning is to some extent self cleaning, but I sometimes I must transport my
> bike Inside my car, and really dont want to trash my back seats with gunk.
>
> What have other _users_ of White Lightning found is the best way to remove the residue prior to
> reapplication of White Lightning?
>

> Bill

We currently use White Lightning Raceday on our Bike Friday tandem and have the same
transportation/handling needs.

The best method so far has been a thorough wipe of the chain with a cloth moistened with methylated
spirit prior to handling or re lubing.

I rarely bother to immersion clean chains. If a chain is extremely muddy I usually clean it with hot
water and dishwashing detergent, spray rinse with water and then re apply lube.

Alan.

Alan Hutchison wrote:
> luvjava wrote:
>> I know that White Lightning is to some extent self cleaning, but I sometimes I must transport my
>> bike Inside my car, and really dont want to trash my back seats with gunk.
>>
>> What have other _users_ of White Lightning found is the best way to remove the residue prior to
>> reapplication of White Lightning?
>>

>> Bill
>
> We currently use White Lightning Raceday on our Bike Friday tandem and have the same
> transportation/handling needs.

I bought a bottle of White Lightning Raceday and when trying to apply it I couldn't squeese anything
throught the tiny opening. When checking inside I noticed that there where tiny small white
particles floating around. I could not get rid of these by shaking and had to pour it on my chain
through the big opening. Messy and wasteful. Have you ever seen these clots and been able to get rid
of them? I tried shaking lightly according to instructions and of course vigourously after getting
peed off ;)
--
Perre

I have used Prolink and it does work well, but it seems to get dirtier faster. I have heard good
things about Boeshield. Anyone have any experience with this lube?

Per Elmsäter wrote:
> Alan Hutchison wrote:
>
>>luvjava wrote:
>>
>>>I know that White Lightning is to some extent self cleaning, but I sometimes I must transport my
>>>bike Inside my car, and really dont want to trash my back seats with gunk.
>>>
>>>What have other _users_ of White Lightning found is the best way to remove the residue prior to
>>>reapplication of White Lightning?
>>>

>>>Bill
>>
>>We currently use White Lightning Raceday on our Bike Friday tandem and have the same
>>transportation/handling needs.
>>

> I bought a bottle of White Lightning Raceday and when trying to apply it I couldn't squeese
> anything throught the tiny opening. When checking inside I noticed that there where tiny small
> white particles floating around. I could not get rid of these by shaking and had to pour it on my
> chain through the big opening. Messy and wasteful. Have you ever seen these clots and been able to
> get rid of them? I tried shaking lightly according to instructions and of course vigourously after
> getting peed off ;)
> --
> Perre
>
> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

Yes, the stuff is a pain to apply. Heat is the answer. Either stand the bottle in the hot sun if
there is any or put it in fairly hot water for a while and then shake the bottle. As the solution
cools, the nozzle will start to block again, so it is best to apply it quickly.

Alan.

"Alan Hutchison" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Yes, the stuff is a pain to apply. Heat is the answer. Either stand the bottle in the hot sun if
> there is any or put it in fairly hot water for a while and then shake the bottle. As the solution
> cools, the nozzle will start to block again, so it is best to apply it quickly.

Great tip, Alan. Shaking for a lon long time works too, but this sounds easier.

SteveC

I just cleaned my White-Lightning'd chain with a citrus degreaser. I had been using Simple Green.
The Citrus stuff (Mr. Orange, I think) did a much better/faster job of cleaning the chain. (And I
clean the chain at least every 150 miles).

Then I applied Boeshield. My ride this morning was whisper quiet. The White Lightning never
provided, for me, a quiet ride. I've become a Boeshield convert.

Gary

Alan Hutchison wrote:

> Yes, the stuff is a pain to apply. Heat is the answer. Either stand the bottle in the hot sun if
> there is any or put it in fairly hot water for a while and then shake the bottle. As the solution
> cools, the nozzle will start to block again, so it is best to apply it quickly.
>
> Alan.

Thanks.
--
Perre