Cleaning MTB's.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Shaun Rimmer, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    I cleaned my bike at lunch time, for the first time in months.

    I slid the rear mech cable housing out, flushed with WD40, blew the crap out with an air hose, and
    put it back on. I scraped the crud off the jockey wheels with a screwdriver, and kicked the rear
    mech a couple of times until some dirt dropped off.

    There - spotless again.

    Shaun aRe - WTF does 'shiny' mean?

    Tags:

  2. "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    | I cleaned my bike at lunch time, for the first time in months.
    |
    | I slid the rear mech cable housing out, flushed with WD40, blew the crap
    out
    | with an air hose, and put it back on. I scraped the crud off the jockey wheels with a screwdriver,
    | and kicked the rear mech a couple of times
    until
    | some dirt dropped off.
    |
    | There - spotless again.
    |

    | Shaun aRe - WTF does 'shiny' mean?

    I'm one of those shiny bike nuts, or at least I was while I was running the bike shop. During down
    time, I would throw my bikes on the stand to clean polish and tinker with them. Now that I'm just a
    rider, at least the MTB is getting a nice layer of fine red clay dust.

  3. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Ground Control© <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:t5TX9.2101$644.71[email protected]...

    > | I cleaned my bike at lunch time, for the first time in months.
    > |
    > | I slid the rear mech cable housing out, flushed with WD40, blew the crap
    > out
    > | with an air hose, and put it back on. I scraped the crud off the jockey wheels with a
    > | screwdriver, and kicked the rear mech a couple of times
    > until
    > | some dirt dropped off.
    > |
    > | There - spotless again.
    > |

    > | Shaun aRe - WTF does 'shiny' mean?
    >
    > I'm one of those shiny bike nuts, or at least I was while I was running
    the
    > bike shop. During down time, I would throw my bikes on the stand to clean polish and tinker with
    > them. Now that I'm just a rider, at least the MTB
    is
    > getting a nice layer of fine red clay dust.

    I hit mine with the hose occasionally (and I don't mean like a shambok either), but only if there
    are important parts I can see for mud. I usually give the chain a good clean too, but haven't
    bothered in a while.

    My bike is matte black, so polishing it would be stupid anyhow.

    Shaun aRe - Dirt, it's what makes them work.

  4. Cleanbean

    Cleanbean Guest

    news:b0[email protected]...

    > I cleaned my bike at lunch time, for the first time in months.
    >
    > I slid the rear mech cable housing out, flushed with WD40, blew the crap
    out
    > with an air hose, and put it back on. I scraped the crud off the jockey wheels with a screwdriver,
    > and kicked the rear mech a couple of times
    until
    > some dirt dropped off.
    >
    > There - spotless again.
    >

    > Shaun aRe - WTF does 'shiny' mean?

    Dude, where is your bike love?

    Cleanbean

  5. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  6. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Cleanbean <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > I cleaned my bike at lunch time, for the first time in months.
    > >
    > > I slid the rear mech cable housing out, flushed with WD40, blew the crap
    > out
    > > with an air hose, and put it back on. I scraped the crud off the jockey wheels with a
    > > screwdriver, and kicked the rear mech a couple of times
    > until
    > > some dirt dropped off.
    > >
    > > There - spotless again.
    > >

    > > Shaun aRe - WTF does 'shiny' mean?
    > >
    > Dude, where is your bike love?

    I have bike love. I have shitloads of bikelove. My bike knows this. My bike likes the dirt. My bike
    is no posing tart. She is a tough woman. If she breaks, I repair her, and I keep her in good working
    order. I have not had to spend a single penny on her in months and months, because she is so well
    looked after.

    Shaun aRe - Don't you _ever_ question my bike love, MoFo, or I will hunt you down and kill you
    repeatedly.

  7. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > Cleanbean wrote:
    >

    > > Dude, where is your bike love?
    >
    > She's at work, but they're meeting down the pub later.
    >
    > /duck

    Shut it slagwhorequeen, or I shall taunt you with mean words and make you cry, again.

    Shaun aRe

  8. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > I cleaned my bike at lunch time, for the first time in months.
    >
    > I slid the rear mech cable housing out, flushed with WD40, blew the crap
    out
    > with an air hose, and put it back on. I scraped the crud off the jockey wheels with a screwdriver,
    > and kicked the rear mech a couple of times
    until
    > some dirt dropped off.
    >
    > There - spotless again.

    Works fer me.

    Mike

  9. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Ground Control©" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > | I cleaned my bike at lunch time, for the first time in months.
    > |
    > | I slid the rear mech cable housing out, flushed with WD40, blew the crap
    > out
    > | with an air hose, and put it back on. I scraped the crud off the jockey wheels with a
    > | screwdriver, and kicked the rear mech a couple of times
    > until
    > | some dirt dropped off.
    > |
    > | There - spotless again.
    > |

    > | Shaun aRe - WTF does 'shiny' mean?
    >
    > I'm one of those shiny bike nuts, or at least I was while I was running
    the
    > bike shop. During down time, I would throw my bikes on the stand to clean polish and tinker with
    > them. Now that I'm just a rider, at least the MTB
    is
    > getting a nice layer of fine red clay dust.

    Of course it's red -- we've seen your color-schemes!

    Bill "busted" S.

  10. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > I cleaned my bike at lunch time, for the first time in months.
    > >
    > > I slid the rear mech cable housing out, flushed with WD40, blew the crap
    > out
    > > with an air hose, and put it back on. I scraped the crud off the jockey wheels with a
    > > screwdriver, and kicked the rear mech a couple of times
    > until
    > > some dirt dropped off.
    > >
    > > There - spotless again.
    > >

    > Works fer me.