Clipless road pedals - first timer

carsnoceans

Jul 24, 2010
I am swtiching to clipless road pedals for the first time since I bought my Orbea... any recommendations?

Looking for something that gives my wide feet decent support and is easy to clip in/out (important for a newbie!). I picked my shoes already on a pretty bargain (Shimano R086 with 3 hole setup). I just good pedals without going in DuraAce price range. I saw Shimano Ultegra pedals for $100 bucks at local performancebikes. Are those a good deal?

I will be doing group rides on a weekly basis atleast and plan to participate in a few races next summer. Not planning to keep this bike as a commuting ride.

Thanks for help.

I started off with Shimano mountain bike pedals then moved to Look Keos. I'm more than happy with them. I chose them at the time because the Looks got great reviews from a few of te guys in my club. If you like more float (lateral movement) them Time may be the way to go.

I would take a serious look at Speedplay Frog pedals. Your roadbike buddies will scoff at them as they are technically a mountain bike pedal. I have used them for about 4 years and they were my first clipless pedals. This summer I decided to to try some roadbike pedals and after much research and LBS sales people I purchased some Look Keo Max 2 pedals and some road shoes. They are efficient for pedaling but I developed some foot pain (balls of feet) and after much adjusting of cleat position and a trip to the podiatrist and some orthotics in the road shoes they might be tolerable. I piut them away form the winter as they are terrible in wet or muddy conditions. Road shoes are also a pain in the ass to walk in and very dangerous on slippery surfaces. After going back to my Speedplays for the winter I wonder why I ever went to road pedals. The Speedplays are much easier to get in and out of and have a lot of float so put less torque on your knees if your stroke isn't perfect. The sales pitch on the Lokk Keos and other road pedals is that they have a larger suface area but I found the mounting plate in the sole of the mountain bike shoes to spread the load very well and be more comfortable to my foot than the road shoes. I have never had any foot problems in the past. The mountain bike shoes with Speedplay cleats are easy to walk in and willstill work if youstep in gravel or dirt or snow. Good luck with the road bike shoes/cleats if you do this. I don't work for Speedplay or have stock in the company-just my opinoio0n for what it's worth. One more factor is the cost and longevity of the cleats for road pedals. Looks are about $20 and don't last long as thet are plastic. I am still using my 4 year old Speedplay cleats which are about $30 and are stainless steel. I ride a lot of miles, 40-80 per week, and my first Looks were badly worn in a couple months.

Don't rule out Speedplay road pedals, as they share the same advantages that their Frogs have over Look-style pedals and cleats. Speedplay makes the "Coffee Shop" cleat covers for the road cleats; certainly worth buying and carrying for stops on the road when you are off the bike for more than a few steps. Of course, if ease of walking is a consideration, the mountain pedals and shoes will be the obvious choice.

Actually, several veterans here swear by the Frog cleats with Shimano sandals; they say nothing is more comfortable on hot, all day rides.

Thats a big question for me as a newbie... do I want more or less float? How does that affect my ride or my interaction with the pedals?

Originally Posted by carsnoceans .

Thats a big question for me as a newbie... do I want more or less float? How does that affect my ride or my interaction with the pedals?
From my perspective, float is more about your biomechanics than anything else. People with knee problems usually like a lot of float. However, too much float can also be a problem, because depending on your physiology, you might actually like having your knee always tracking the same way.

With more float, your foot has a little bit more lateral movement in the pedal.

I am swtiching to clipless road pedals for the first time since I bought my Orbea... any recommendations?

Looking for something that gives my wide feet decent support and is easy to clip in/out (important for a newbie!). I picked my shoes already on a pretty bargain (Shimano R086 with 3 hole setup). I just good pedals without going in DuraAce price range. I saw Shimano Ultegra pedals for $100 bucks at local performancebikes. Are those a good deal?

I will be doing group rides on a weekly basis atleast and plan to participate in a few races next summer. Not planning to keep this bike as a commuting ride.

Thanks for help.
you can get shimano 105 pedals for a lot less. I have Durace and 105's; not an appreciable difference between them (just a little heavier). Save the money

Originally Posted by rparedes .

Quote: Originally Posted by carsnoceans .

Thanks for help.
you can get shimano 105 pedals for a lot less. I have Durace and 105's; not an appreciable difference between them (just a little heavier). Save the money

Shimano 105 is around 75bucks. If the difference is not really noticeable then I wouldnt care.

Quote: Originally Posted by rparedes .

Thanks for help.

Shimano 105 is around 75bucks. If the difference is not really noticeable then I wouldnt care.
you can get them on Ebay for 40 bucks; free shipping. Just take your time and look around

Does more float help in easy release/entry in the clips? I suppose less movement, would provide more stiffness and help me develop good pedal strokes but they might be a bad choice for first timer if its a difficult entry/exist system

I have a fair bit of float in my pedals and I don't have any problems getting in or out of the clips.

For me, float is very important to avoid damaging my knees. I have a lot of natural out-turn in my left leg (and even more after they put it back together after I broke it) so I can't have my foot locked into a fixed position.

Does more float help in easy release/entry in the clips? I suppose less movement, would provide more stiffness and help me develop good pedal strokes but they might be a bad choice for first timer if its a difficult entry/exist system

Float doesn't make that much of a difference in entry/exit. I guess it could be more difficult to get out of a pedal system with a lot of float because a touch more rotation of the ankle may be required to twist out of the pedal. But really, the biggest factor in terms of it being easy/difficult to get in/out of the pedals is how tight you have the pedal tension set. A lot of tension means harder to get in/out, but less likely to pull out of the pedal inadvertently.

Personally, I would not get pedals without float; especially if you are just starting. It takes practice to clip in/out and you need to figure what cleat location/adjustment works for you. After you get that figured out and you know exactly what cleat position works for you, then you can always switch to a fixed cleat later. Shimano has yellow cleats (4 degrees of float) and red cleats (0 float); either works with any of the SPD-SL pedals.
I suggest you set your pedals at the lowest setting to begin and practice the release action BEFORE you go out on your bike. Also, when riding, unclip with PLENTY of time before you need to, until you have mastered it. And... BTW, you WILL fall...

Originally Posted by rparedes .

Personally, I would not get pedals without float; especially if you are just starting. It takes practice to clip in/out and you need to figure what cleat location/adjustment works for you. After you get that figured out and you know exactly what cleat position works for you, then you can always switch to a fixed cleat later. Shimano has yellow cleats (4 degrees of float) and red cleats (0 float); either works with any of the SPD-SL pedals.
I suggest you set your pedals at the lowest setting to begin and practice the release action BEFORE you go out on your bike. Also, when riding, unclip with PLENTY of time before you need to, until you have mastered it. And... BTW, you WILL fall...

I kindda know that I will fall but just trying to avoid until it becomes second nature.

On my second ride on my new Orbea (still with toe cages), I forgot about the foot being secured in the tightened straps and I had a half fall there lol... I am not letting that deter from going clipless its just that being a big dude (225lbs), i'd rather not fall on something like wrist or arm and sprain/fracture it.

I don't know if you have made a decision yet and I don't want to beat a dead horse. Here is a bit of marketing on the Speedplay Frog pedals I mentioned in an earlier reply. "
Speedplay Frog TI Titanium Pedals Speedplay Frog TI Titanium Pedals: Not just a great off-road pedal system, Speedplay Frog pedals are ideal for road riders who prefer a recessed, walkable cleat. Like their amphibious namesake, Frog pedals are equally at home in dry or muddy terrain. Their unique cleats are virtually immune to clogging with mud or dirt, because debris is pushed out whenever you engage the pedal. This simple mechanism also puts an end to those infuriating falls caused by gunked-up pedals that won't release. You get out when you want to, and never when you don't. Of course, you also get all the advantages of Speedplay's other innovative designs: knee-friendly, non-centering free float; lightning-fast entry and exit; and phenomenal light weight. Whether you ride a mountain bike, road bike, tandem or 'cross bike, the Speedplay Frog can do it all. It has an extremely light-walkable cleat system made even lighter with titanium spindles Frog Titanium pedals per pair -206g Conceived with the goal of bringing mountain bike pedal performance on par with that of road pedals, the Frog is the most versatile pedal you can buy Saves weight because the Frog has a single retention mechanism in the cleat instead of two redundant mechanisms located in the pedal like most off-road systems Minimalist design does away with confusing adjustments, because engagement security doesn't depend on spring tension G3 Frog cleat is stronger, more durable, easier to mount and compatible with two-hole SPD®-style road shoes Quickly and easily sheds mud, because debris is pushed out when the cleat engages with the pedal Tough resin composite body is highly resistant to impact damage Lightning-fast release puts an end to falls caused by pedals that won't disengage."
I would agree with all the claims based on using them for almost 4 years. I have the Stainless Steel version which is slightly heavier but considerably less costly than the Titanium model. I haven't seen any one respond to the foot comfort issues I mentioned about the Look Keo Max 2 pedals I have. If you always ride in dry conditions and seldom walk with your bike shoes on then the road shoes might be fine; if you have no discomfort issues. Sounds like you are my size-I am 6'2" and 225 lbs. and wear a size 14/49 Euro shoe. I also don't see any acknowledgement of the unsatisfacory performance in wet and dirty conditions or the lack of durability of the road cleats in the other replies. I suspect most road bikers have never tried Speedplays. I have used both and am very biased now. Good luck and please report your experience.

I reccomend keo classic's because you can start out with them and keep on using them, i regret selling my keo classic's for keo 2 max's

Originally Posted by finnrambo .

I reccomend keo classic's because you can start out with them and keep on using them, i regret selling my keo classic's for keo 2 max's

+ 1 - Look pedals are very easy for beginners to learn to use as are double sided shimano SPD pedals.

Originally Posted by krokumr .

I don't know if you have made a decision yet and I don't want to beat a dead horse. Here is a bit of marketing on the Speedplay Frog pedals I mentioned in an earlier reply. "
Speedplay Frog TI Titanium Pedals Speedplay Frog TI Titanium Pedals: Not just a great off-road pedal system, Speedplay Frog pedals are ideal for road riders who prefer a recessed, walkable cleat. Like their amphibious namesake, Frog pedals are equally at home in dry or muddy terrain. Their unique cleats are virtually immune to clogging with mud or dirt, because debris is pushed out whenever you engage the pedal. This simple mechanism also puts an end to those infuriating falls caused by gunked-up pedals that won't release. You get out when you want to, and never when you don't. Of course, you also get all the advantages of Speedplay's other innovative designs: knee-friendly, non-centering free float; lightning-fast entry and exit; and phenomenal light weight. Whether you ride a mountain bike, road bike, tandem or 'cross bike, the Speedplay Frog can do it all. It has an extremely light-walkable cleat system made even lighter with titanium spindles Frog Titanium pedals per pair -206g Conceived with the goal of bringing mountain bike pedal performance on par with that of road pedals, the Frog is the most versatile pedal you can buy Saves weight because the Frog has a single retention mechanism in the cleat instead of two redundant mechanisms located in the pedal like most off-road systems Minimalist design does away with confusing adjustments, because engagement security doesn't depend on spring tension G3 Frog cleat is stronger, more durable, easier to mount and compatible with two-hole SPD®-style road shoes Quickly and easily sheds mud, because debris is pushed out when the cleat engages with the pedal Tough resin composite body is highly resistant to impact damage Lightning-fast release puts an end to falls caused by pedals that won't disengage."
I would agree with all the claims based on using them for almost 4 years. I have the Stainless Steel version which is slightly heavier but considerably less costly than the Titanium model. I haven't seen any one respond to the foot comfort issues I mentioned about the Look Keo Max 2 pedals I have. If you always ride in dry conditions and seldom walk with your bike shoes on then the road shoes might be fine; if you have no discomfort issues. Sounds like you are my size-I am 6'2" and 225 lbs. and wear a size 14/49 Euro shoe. I also don't see any acknowledgement of the unsatisfacory performance in wet and dirty conditions or the lack of durability of the road cleats in the other replies. I suspect most road bikers have never tried Speedplays. I have used both and am very biased now. Good luck and please report your experience.

there is no comfort issue with the keo 2 max's ive found its just that they sqeak sometimes and are harder to get into then lets say the keo classic's, if theres a comfort issue its likely the shoe or bad cleat adjustment