Clipless road pedals - first timer

Shimano spd-sl pedals (105, ultegra, dura-ace) are going to be slightly heavier than a lot of the competitors pedals. However, they do have a wider, more stable feeling platform and seem to be a bit stiffer than a lot of other pedals. In my opinion, the wider platform and increased stiffness is worth the minimal weight penalty. Shimano pedals are also extremely durable (I've been on the same pair of ultegras since 2005) and have a replaceable plate on the pedal to keep them feeling great for years.

As far as float goes, Look caims that a majority of people are better off using 0 degree float cleats when fit properly. As previously stated, having cleats with float depends on physiology, previous knee/leg injuries, etc. The best bet here is to find a shop with a decent amount of experience in fitting cleats and have them take a look at your pedal stroke. Look makes a device that some shops have which digitally measures the best degree of float based on pedal stroke but it may be hard to find a shop that has it since it is a very expensive gadget for small LBS to invest in.

Clipped in for the first time yesterday and fell the first time I clipped out. Slow motion falling to is the best!!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Speedplay light action btw. VERY easy to get in and out of.

Did I mention it was also my first time on a road bike?? good times.....

Originally Posted by Keh16 .

Clipped in for the first time yesterday and fell the first time I clipped out. Slow motion falling to is the best!!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Speedplay light action btw. VERY easy to get in and out of.

Did I mention it was also my first time on a road bike?? good times.....

Ouch. No bruises, I hope.

Decades ago (literally), I had knee problems. Since I switched to Speedplays, I have never noticed any knee pain, ever. But this is also a function of saddle height. This is an argument I've had many times with people. It's almost impossible to have your seat too high. It's far easier to get it too low; then you get problems with your patellar tendon. Mine were so sore that they squeaked and were very hot. Seriously inflamed. That's not good.

Got my seat height right, and switched to Speedplay road pedals. Never a problem getting out, ever. No knee pain at all, ever.

It's funny how the little things help. I had a very old Cinelli Giro bar. Did a long ride, and my wrists felt sandy after a 70 miler. Switched to a cheap Ritchey Pro bar, and, again, never any pain since then. The bend is quite a bit different, but even then you think, "What could that do to help?". Um, plenty? Yeah, that's the answer.

Only a bruised ego. I didn't have a problem getting out of them at all. First try every time. I just didn't time it properly before falling.......obviously /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif