Close call for Bog biker

nash

Guest
Close call for Bog biker

By Jennifer Lang
Black Press
Oct 15 2006

A man was rescued from Burns Bog Tuesday night, thanks to his cell
phone and a flashlight.

Police say the 35-year-old Delta resident, clad in only a T-shirt and
shorts, had been biking through the trails when he got lost. He was
cold, wet and muddy by the time he called police on his cellphone just
before 8 p.m.-he'd taken a tumble into waist-deep water.

Then his cell phone cut out.

Fearing for his safety, police launched a ground and air search,
assisted by Delta firefighters, Surrey Search and Rescue, Air 1, the
RCMP's helicopter, and ambulance crews.

"If he'd developed hypothermia, his chances of survival would have
been reduced dramatically," Delta Police Const. Rick Peeler said.

Fortunately, the man was able to signal the helicopter with his
flashlight. Air 1 found him in just nine minutes. The RCMP helicopter
was also able to light the way for ground searchers who retrieved the
man using an all-terrain four-wheel drive.

He was cold and wet when he was rescued just before 10 p.m., and was
taken to Delta Hospital for observation.

"The bog is within the community of Delta but it is like a wilderness
area," Peeler said.

It appears the man ended up in an area of the bog that was scorched in
last year's fire and is off-limits to the public.

Without the cell phone, "nobody would have known he was out there,"
he said.

Incidents like this one are rare, but demonstrate just how easy it is
to lose your way in Burns Bog.

Delta Police advise anyone riding or biking in the bog should tell
someone where they are going, wear appropriate clothing and to bring a
cell phone.

"nash" wrote (quoting police): (clip)anyone riding or biking in the bog
should tell someone where they are going, wear appropriate clothing and to
bring a cell phone.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
And a flashlight!

nash wrote:
> Close call for Bog biker

Note to self: If I ever post something like this on the net, at least I
oughta tell people where it is (what town, state, country, planet).

In article <[email protected]>,
catzz66 <[email protected]> writes:
> nash wrote:
>> Close call for Bog biker

> Note to self: If I ever post something like this on the net, at least I
> oughta tell people where it is (what town, state, country, planet).

It's just south of Queensborough and the river :)

Okay, it's in Delta, BC -- a suburb of Vancouver.

From www.burnsbog.org:
"Burns Bog is a raised peat bog located in Delta, British Columbia,
Canada. It is the largest undeveloped urban landmass in North America.
It is also the only known raised peat bog in a Mediterranean climate.
Burns Bog is a treasure of a special kind, in part due to its sheer size,
making it home to many beautiful and rare plants, animals and insects.
It is also a green space that provides the Lower Mainland with priceless
services such as air and water filtration."

The place occasionally catches on fire and smoulders
subterraneanly for extended periods of time.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Send the idiot a bill for costs incurred by the rescue forces.

"Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> From www.burnsbog.org:
> "Burns Bog is a raised peat bog located in Delta, British Columbia,
> Canada. It is the largest undeveloped urban landmass in North America.
> It is also the only known raised peat bog in a Mediterranean climate.
> Burns Bog is a treasure of a special kind, in part due to its sheer size,
> making it home to many beautiful and rare plants, animals and insects.
> It is also a green space that provides the Lower Mainland with priceless
> services such as air and water filtration."
>
> The place occasionally catches on fire and smoulders
> subterraneanly for extended periods of time.

I thought the Vancouver area was more of a temperate rain forest, but then
I've never been there. I thought Mediterranean climates were drier and
warmer.

Tom Keats wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> catzz66 <[email protected]> writes:
>> nash wrote:
>>> Close call for Bog biker

>> Note to self: If I ever post something like this on the net, at least I
>> oughta tell people where it is (what town, state, country, planet).

> It's just south of Queensborough and the river :)
>

> Okay, it's in Delta, BC -- a suburb of Vancouver.

Darn. I was guessing somewhere in Britain. We don't have no bogs
around here, but they is some swamps.

:)

Mike Kruger wrote:
> "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> From www.burnsbog.org:
>> "Burns Bog is a raised peat bog located in Delta, British Columbia,
>> Canada. It is the largest undeveloped urban landmass in North America.
>> It is also the only known raised peat bog in a Mediterranean climate.
>> Burns Bog is a treasure of a special kind, in part due to its sheer size,
>> making it home to many beautiful and rare plants, animals and insects.
>> It is also a green space that provides the Lower Mainland with priceless
>> services such as air and water filtration."
>>
>> The place occasionally catches on fire and smoulders
>> subterraneanly for extended periods of time.
>>

> I thought the Vancouver area was more of a temperate rain forest, but then
> I've never been there. I thought Mediterranean climates were drier and
> warmer.

It pretty much is like a rain forest, as I can testify from being there
on vacation, and hiking driving through some of the most beautiful
forests I have ever seen. I thought it was better even than the
California Redwoods and there was much more diversity (and rain).
I remember fishing with my wife and we were reeling fish in so fast we
didn't even have to re-bait the hooks, getting rained on at 65 F, and
our friends in California were sweating through a 121 F heat wave.
I never wanted to come back home, but then my vacation (and money) ran
out, as in "Damn". Going through Vancouver and up the coast highway
towards Alaska I found cliffs of rock. The BOG must be known only to the
locals because what I saw was just too beautiful for words.
Sigh, still living in California.
Bill Baka

"bill" wrote: (clip) I remember fishing with my wife and we were reeling
fish in so fast we didn't even have to re-bait the hooks, (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
She must be very tasty to the fish, but didn't she object? Or should I
start believing the skeptics who have been questioning your stories ever
since I got here? ;-)))

Leo Lichtman wrote:
> "bill" wrote: (clip) I remember fishing with my wife and we were reeling
> fish in so fast we didn't even have to re-bait the hooks, (clip)
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> She must be very tasty to the fish, but didn't she object? Or should I
> start believing the skeptics who have been questioning your stories ever
> since I got here? ;-)))

All you need to do is go to Vancouver, B.C. in Canada, and drive about
50 miles East on the trans-Canada highway, then stop and start fishing.
We came back with an ice chest full of fish after about one hour of
fishing, all catfish, but still enough to eat fish for a week.
Try it, you might like it. I was across the side road (and R.R. tracks)
and fishing in a deep dredge hole when a weasel, the real deal made it's
way to me and was close enough for me to attempt a pet. He got within a
few feet of me when suddenly my pole almost broke going straight down
and scared the weasel who just dove into the water and swam underwater
around me. I also lost the fish to a broken line, broken 60# line, so I
have no idea what I hooked.
The fact that it was raining cats and dogs may have put the fish into a
feeding frenzy. I was soaked but didn't care, ditto my wife since we
were laughing about the record heat wave back home.
Bill Baka

In article <[email protected]>,
"Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> writes:
> "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> From www.burnsbog.org:
>> "Burns Bog is a raised peat bog located in Delta, British Columbia,
>> Canada. It is the largest undeveloped urban landmass in North America.
>> It is also the only known raised peat bog in a Mediterranean climate.
>> Burns Bog is a treasure of a special kind, in part due to its sheer size,
>> making it home to many beautiful and rare plants, animals and insects.
>> It is also a green space that provides the Lower Mainland with priceless
>> services such as air and water filtration."
>>
>> The place occasionally catches on fire and smoulders
>> subterraneanly for extended periods of time.
>>

> I thought the Vancouver area was more of a temperate rain forest, but then
> I've never been there. I thought Mediterranean climates were drier and
> warmer.

By 'n large you're right, and I too am puzzled by the
"Mediterranean climate" reference. Maybe it's a
microclimate thing? There actually is quite a variety
of microclimates around here. Even the rain in
neighbourhoods within Vancouver (proper) has differing
qualities.

It's been a long time since I've visited Burns Bog, but
as I remember it's quite pretty on the surface. A small
network of wooden pathways or duckwalks meanders through
the area. I'm not sure, but I don't believe cycling is
allowed on those pathways. I think maybe the cyclist in
this particular incident was riding on those pathways, lost
traction and fell in sidelong, hence his "tumble into
waist-deep [peat bog] water." I'm fairly sure the place
has claimed yet another pair of shoes. Maybe a whole bike.

As I said, the place is quite pretty on the surface.
But peat bogs do have their darker (and smellier) side.
Selecting from the options of either falling into a peat bog
or accidentally stepping on a distracted skunk is an Hobson's
Choice. That'll learn 'im.

cheers,
Tom

--

Pat Lamb <[email protected]> writes:
> Tom Keats wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> catzz66 <[email protected]> writes:

>>> Note to self: If I ever post something like this on the net, at least I
>>> oughta tell people where it is (what town, state, country, planet).

>> It's just south of Queensborough and the river :)
>>

>> Okay, it's in Delta, BC -- a suburb of Vancouver.

> Darn. I was guessing somewhere in Britain. We don't have no bogs
> around here, but they is some swamps.
>
>:)

One of my favourite tunes is "Swamp Thing" by The (UK) Chameleons.
But then I have a peculiar fondness for tunes with awkward-drumming
accented backbeats/offbeats, like Led Zep's Black Country Woman.

Filling the spaces between the beats is so ... Beethoven.

cheers,
Tom