General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Coffee in Mid-town Manhattan

Started by Leila · · Last activity · 16 posts · 508 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
10 June 2005
Last activity
12 June 2005
Original author
Leila
Posts
16
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
508
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–16 of 16
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I was in NYC for 4 days last week, to attend a writers' conference.
    Stayed in a hotel near Penn Station and commuted up to Hunter College
    on 68th & Park, Thursday - Sunday.

    What I'd forgotten about NYC, having lived there a dozen years but left
    a dozen yaers ago, is that good coffee is hard to find in NY. Things
    have progressed slightly since I first moved there in 1981, when the
    only good cafe coffee was on Bleecker Street at either Reggio or Dante.
    BUT if you want a decent cup of coffee and you don't think Starbucks
    qualifies, I just don't know what you're supposed to do in Midtown.
    Should I have gone to that Gaillard and whatever upscale deli? I asked
    my best friend, who lives in Brooklyn and works near 5th & 91st - where
    do you get good coffee? She said she drinks it at home. I did find a
    good cafe (the Coffee cup, on 24th Street west of 9th AVenue) and had a
    lovely espresso there. Remembered that the "new" up and coming cafes in
    gentrifying neighborhoods often had decent coffee - Jaffa in the East
    Village (which now has a Tribeca branch) and whatever the coffee places
    were in Park Slope that I used to frequent.

    I ate breakfast at Chez Laurent cafe on Madison Avenue Friday morning,
    ordered a cappucino since their menu boasted about their house brand
    French roast. It had a slightly stale taste, as if it had come from a
    can. I even wondered if it wasn't "instant" - in the old days
    CHino-Latino restaurants would make this fake espresso where the
    machine steamed and roared as if it were an espresso maker, but it just
    steamed hot water and milk into instant espresso crystals.

    New York is a terrific city, I will always love it with all my heart,
    and you can eat very, very well there. But when it comes to good
    coffee...I'm sorry, it's too hard to find. Yes, if you do your research
    the locals will tell you the hideaway coffee places, but this is too
    much work. By West Coast standards, you New Yorkers are deprived.

    I did appreciate cheap coffee cart coffee - at $.75 a bargain, fresh
    enough early in the morning, and at the 68th & Lex cart, not too
    dishwatery weak. It was better than diner coffee. But just not that
    tasty. No wonder NYers like Starbucks (ugh - they burn their coffee
    beans).

    Leila

  2. On 10 Jun 2005 12:58:41 -0700, "Leila" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I was in NYC for 4 days last week, to attend a writers' conference.
    Stayed in a hotel near Penn Station and commuted up to Hunter College
    on 68th & Park, Thursday - Sunday.

    What I'd forgotten about NYC, having lived there a dozen years but


    left

    Quoted message said:

    a dozen yaers ago, is that good coffee is hard to find in NY. Things
    have progressed slightly since I first moved there in 1981, when the
    only good cafe coffee was on Bleecker Street at either Reggio or


    Dante.

    Quoted message said:

    BUT if you want a decent cup of coffee and you don't think Starbucks
    qualifies, I just don't know what you're supposed to do in Midtown.
    Should I have gone to that Gaillard and whatever upscale deli? I


    asked

    Quoted message said:

    my best friend, who lives in Brooklyn and works near 5th & 91st -


    where

    Quoted message said:

    do you get good coffee? She said she drinks it at home. I did find a
    good cafe (the Coffee cup, on 24th Street west of 9th AVenue) and had


    a

    Quoted message said:

    lovely espresso there. Remembered that the "new" up and coming cafes


    in

    Quoted message said:

    gentrifying neighborhoods often had decent coffee - Jaffa in the East
    Village (which now has a Tribeca branch) and whatever the coffee


    places

    Quoted message said:

    were in Park Slope that I used to frequent.

    I ate breakfast at Chez Laurent cafe on Madison Avenue Friday


    morning,

    Quoted message said:

    ordered a cappucino since their menu boasted about their house brand
    French roast. It had a slightly stale taste, as if it had come from a
    can. I even wondered if it wasn't "instant" - in the old days
    CHino-Latino restaurants would make this fake espresso where the
    machine steamed and roared as if it were an espresso maker, but it


    just

    Quoted message said:

    steamed hot water and milk into instant espresso crystals.

    New York is a terrific city, I will always love it with all my heart,
    and you can eat very, very well there. But when it comes to good
    coffee...I'm sorry, it's too hard to find. Yes, if you do your


    research

    Quoted message said:

    the locals will tell you the hideaway coffee places, but this is too
    much work. By West Coast standards, you New Yorkers are deprived.

    I did appreciate cheap coffee cart coffee - at $.75 a bargain, fresh
    enough early in the morning, and at the 68th & Lex cart, not too
    dishwatery weak. It was better than diner coffee. But just not that
    tasty. No wonder NYers like Starbucks (ugh - they burn their coffee
    beans).

    Leila

    I can't possibly answer your coffee in NYC query🙂..but as I was
    reading your interesting posting-- you said the price of a "cheap cup"
    of coffee was $.75/cup--- and that got me thinking. I calculated that
    my own 100% Kona Coffee, from our small farm, all done by my husband
    and me, and shipped within the US--the cost for each cup ---if you
    figure on 32 cups per pound--- is $.703125 per cup. And I am talking
    excellent coffee🙂here. You are absolutely correct that *$ over
    roasts. Agreed.

    aloha,
    Thunder
    smithfarms.com
    Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
    & other Great Stuff

  3. Leila said:

    I was in NYC for 4 days last week, to attend a writers' conference.
    Stayed in a hotel near Penn Station and commuted up to Hunter College
    on 68th & Park, Thursday - Sunday.

    What I'd forgotten about NYC, having lived there a dozen years but left
    a dozen yaers ago, is that good coffee is hard to find in NY. Things

    Before your next trip, drop into alt.coffee and ask there. You'll have a
    list of places to try and won't have to bug your friends and may be able
    to show them a thing or two they don't know.

    jim

  4. Jim said:

    Before your next trip, drop into alt.coffee and ask there. You'll have a
    list of places to try and won't have to bug your friends and may be able
    to show them a thing or two they don't know.

    Excellent tip, Jim, thank you.

    Leila

  5. Leila said:
    Jim said:

    Before your next trip, drop into alt.coffee and ask there. You'll have a
    list of places to try and won't have to bug your friends and may be able
    to show them a thing or two they don't know.

    Excellent tip, Jim, thank you.

    Most of those yokels have never been to NY, let alone Midtown.

    Noo Yawkers don't go to Midtown for great food, that area is
    exclusively touristdom, so yoose ain't gonna find great cawfee dere
    eeder. The secret to great food and coffee in Midtown is at the dining
    rooms of the big Hotels, like the Waldorf, but mostly the New Yorkers
    who work in the area, those who can, when the want fine dining eat at
    their corporate dining rooms, or wait for the coffee cart to come by
    their cubie. The chow at the corporate eateries rivals the best in the
    world... there are some fabulous kitchens and dining rooms on the upper
    floors of those skyscrapers... the LOs mostly go to the Midtown soup
    kitchens, gets wheeled down to the local churches, so the bums eat
    better than the tourists

    To find great food and coffee in NYC you need to go to the ethnic
    neighborhoods and Midtown ain't. Much of the world's great comestibles
    eventually ends up in NYC, much of the world's finest coffees is
    warehoused and roasted there, you just need to know where to go to
    partake... not in Midtown. Why do you think some schlocky deli will
    have good coffee when it's handed to you in a styrofoam/paper cup.

    Sheldon

  6. Sheldon said:

    Most of those yokels have never been to NY, let alone Midtown.

    Noo Yawkers don't go to Midtown for great food, that area is
    exclusively touristdom, so yoose ain't gonna find great cawfee dere
    eeder...

    Some of the best coffee I've ever had I purchased every morning on the way
    to my job on 120th Street between First and Pleasant Avenues. There was a
    roach express bodega on the corner were I bought a buttered roll and the
    tastiest "regular coffee" of my life. Haven't had the equal of it since!

    <just remember to *look* before you bite! ;} >

  7. pennyaline said:
    Sheldon said:

    Most of those yokels have never been to NY, let alone Midtown.

    Noo Yawkers don't go to Midtown for great food, that area is
    exclusively touristdom, so yoose ain't gonna find great cawfee dere
    eeder...

    Some of the best coffee I've ever had I purchased every morning on the way
    to my job on 120th Street between First and Pleasant Avenues. There was a
    roach express bodega on the corner were I bought a buttered roll and the
    tastiest "regular coffee" of my life. Haven't had the equal of it since!

    <just remember to *look* before you bite! ;} >

    Um, 120th St. ain't even close to Midtown... in fact that's well above
    Uptown... you proved my point.

    Sheldon

  8. Sheldon said:


    Leila said:
    Jim said:

    Before your next trip, drop into alt.coffee and ask there. You'll have a
    list of places to try and won't have to bug your friends and may be able
    to show them a thing or two they don't know.

    Excellent tip, Jim, thank you.

    Most of those yokels have never been to NY, let alone Midtown.

    Some of them have probably been there more often than you have been,
    sheldon, and that would make their advice at least as good as yours,
    wouldn't it?

    I think a couple actually live there and as their focus IS on coffee,
    that makes them better references than you in this instance.

    jim

  9. JimLane said:
    Sheldon said:


    Leila said:

    Jim wrote:

    >Before your next trip, drop into alt.coffee and ask there. You'll have a
    >list of places to try and won't have to bug your friends and may be able
    >to show them a thing or two they don't know.

    Excellent tip, Jim, thank you.

    Most of those yokels have never been to NY, let alone Midtown.

    Some of them have probably been there more often than you have been,
    sheldon, and that would make their advice at least as good as yours,
    wouldn't it?

    I think a couple actually live there and as their focus IS on coffee,
    that makes them better references than you in this instance.

    Yeah, those self-proclaimed elitest know-nothings all racing to out
    masturbate each other with who spent more for their pot. Notice how
    YOU have no recommedations.... Jimbo Lame has never been to NY
    either... hillybillys like y'all need to stick to what you know, hot
    sauce and incest.

    Sheldon

  10. There is a new Juan Valdez Colombian Coffee Shop in Manhattan, at 140
    East 57th Street, between Lexington and Third Avenues, that opened a
    few months ago. I have not tried the coffee there, nor has anybody I
    know, but I imagine that if well brewed, it would be nice and strong.
    At $4.00 a cup, it should also be very good.

    http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2004/10/04/new_yorks_new_brew.php

  11. Margaret Suran said:

    There is a new Juan Valdez Colombian Coffee Shop in Manhattan, at 140
    East 57th Street, between Lexington and Third Avenues, that opened a
    few months ago. I have not tried the coffee there, nor has anybody I
    know, but I imagine that if well brewed, it would be nice and strong.
    At $4.00 a cup, it should also be very good.


    That's quite an assumption, dear Margaret. Just because they overprice a
    cup of coffee doesn't mean it will be "good".

    Jill

  12. jmcquown said:
    Margaret Suran said:

    There is a new Juan Valdez Colombian Coffee Shop in Manhattan, at 140
    East 57th Street, between Lexington and Third Avenues, that opened a
    few months ago. I have not tried the coffee there, nor has anybody I
    know, but I imagine that if well brewed, it would be nice and strong.
    At $4.00 a cup, it should also be very good.

    That's quite an assumption, dear Margaret. Just because they overprice a
    cup of coffee doesn't mean it will be "good".

    Jill


    When I wrote "it should" I meant it as in "it better be". I believe
    that $4.00 for a cup of coffee is obscene.

  13. Sheldon said:


    JimLane said:
    Sheldon said:

    Leila wrote:

    >Jim wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >>Before your next trip, drop into alt.coffee and ask there. You'll have a
    >>list of places to try and won't have to bug your friends and may be able
    >>to show them a thing or two they don't know.
    >
    >Excellent tip, Jim, thank you.

    Most of those yokels have never been to NY, let alone Midtown.

    Some of them have probably been there more often than you have been,
    sheldon, and that would make their advice at least as good as yours,
    wouldn't it?

    I think a couple actually live there and as their focus IS on coffee,
    that makes them better references than you in this instance.

    Yeah, those self-proclaimed elitest know-nothings all racing to out
    masturbate each other with who spent more for their pot. Notice how
    YOU have no recommedations.... Jimbo Lame has never been to NY
    either... hillybillys like y'all need to stick to what you know, hot
    sauce and incest.

    Sheldon

    Actually, I have been to NYC several times, but long before I got into
    coffee. That is why I made no recommendations, SFB. And those "elitists"
    have it all over you, mentalmidget, when it comes to coffee. They ARE
    better references than you, shelliebabie, get used to it.

    jim

  14. Margaret Suran said:

    There is a new Juan Valdez Colombian Coffee Shop in Manhattan, at 140
    East 57th Street, between Lexington and Third Avenues, that opened a few
    months ago. I have not tried the coffee there, nor has anybody I know,
    but I imagine that if well brewed, it would be nice and strong. At
    $4.00 a cup, it should also be very good.

    http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2004/10/04/new_yorks_new_brew.php

    There's a lot of "mountain grown" and other types of Columbian ranging
    from mediocre to quite good.

    There was a discussion on this coffeehouse on alt.coffee. I don't
    remember much of it as I would rather patronize a local roaster.

    You can google the group if it is of any interest.

    jim

  15. Margaret Suran said:
    jmcquown said:
    Margaret Suran said:

    strong. At $4.00 a cup, it should also be very good.

    That's quite an assumption, dear Margaret. Just because they
    overprice a cup of coffee doesn't mean it will be "good".

    Jill


    When I wrote "it should" I meant it as in "it better be". I believe
    that $4.00 for a cup of coffee is obscene.

    Ah! That makes a difference. And I agree, it's an outrageous price.

    Jill

  16. Sheldon said:
    pennyaline said:

    Some of the best coffee I've ever had I purchased every morning on the


    way

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    to my job on 120th Street between First and Pleasant Avenues. There was


    a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    roach express bodega on the corner were I bought a buttered roll and the
    tastiest "regular coffee" of my life. Haven't had the equal of it since!

    <just remember to *look* before you bite! ;} >

    Um, 120th St. ain't even close to Midtown... in fact that's well above
    Uptown... you proved my point.

    It was my intention to bolster your point as well as to show that good
    comestibles don't only exist in commercial areas or just the trendier bits
    of Manhattan.

    <and youse don't have to pay a nominal egg for it, either >

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.