Coker Brakes?

bugman

Guest
I have a Coker with the original wheel. I also have the Big Cheese
Linear Pull brake Mount, and am looking for a V or A brake to install.
The Odyssey A Brake that Unicycle.com had is no longer available. I
have seen some others have installed a Shimano Deore XT V brake, but I
don't want to order one unless I know exactly which model to get. Are
there other options? I have also found a few places that have the
Odyssey A-Mount brake, but since unicycle.com isn't able to get what
they were carrying, it make me wonder if it is the same brake. Does
anyone know if there is a change in the 2004 model?

Thanks for any help you can give. I did search the forums, but couldn't
find any specific info.

--
bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

Don't get an XT brake...they're too good for a coker. You're not going
to need or even want incredible stopping power so the XT's really are
overkill in my opinion. Plus, they don't actually fit. :) The XT's
place the pads too close together and things don't fit together nicely.
I'm about to buy myself a cheap old v-brake for my coker. I think
that's all that's needed.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - Quit jivin' me, turkey!

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
Unicycling Tips and Tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com

Max_Dingemans wrote:
> *We have several A-brake's and love them. I bet if you called around
> to some local bike shops, one of them would have one in stock. I
> think oddessey just stopped making them though. *

The reason I asked about the Odyssey A-Brake, is I can find them, and
they are still on Odyssey's web site. Jon and Amy are telling me they
can no longer get them. So does anyone know if they have changed, or is
what I am finding just old inventory left laying around. I tried to
link what I saw on http://www.odysseybmx.com/ but they are using Flash
so I couldn't right click the picture. Max, would you mind looking at
the photo and telling me if it looks like what you have on your Cokers?
Thanks. I already tried a cheap V brake from performance, and it just
wouldn't fit. The rim is too wide. If I adjust it to fit the rim, the
arms stick out to for to ride the Coker.

Thanks

PS Andrew, thanks for the heads up. I think it was yours that I saw the
Shimano Deore XT's.

--

bugman wrote:
> *Max,
>
> Is this the same as the ones you use? What lever are you using?
>
> *

thats like the one i have...im in the need for cash latly (new project)
i may sell mine. it black too,just like that photo.

--
jagur - #3649_all fluff i hear?

[image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/albup23/sig_2.jpg]

-Forget_Your_Life-

heres a pic of it when it was on the Super 29er. the roller is there
because i was useing a none V-brake lever. i can sell that too if you
want it. it allows the use of any lever.

| Attachment filename: 29er brake.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/222533|

jagur - #3649_all fluff i hear?

[image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/albup23/sig_2.jpg]

-Forget_Your_Life-

yup, that's it. Quality bike parts (one of the major bike parts
distributors) doesnt carry them anymore either. Cant find em on
danscomp either. which is what leads me to think they're done for. I
dont think bikers like how heavy they are. which doesnt matter as much
on a coker frame.

--
Max_Dingemans - Hey Look, who's that?

BLAH!
Max_Dingemans's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1981

yup, that's it. Quality bike parts (one of the major bike parts
distributors) doesnt carry them anymore either. Cant find em on
danscomp either. which is what leads me to think they're done for. I
dont think bikers like how heavy they are. which doesnt matter as much
on a coker frame.

--
Max_Dingemans - Hey Look, who's that?

BLAH!
Max_Dingemans's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1981

I just bought a used remanufactured coker. Standard rim and frame. Is
there a way to add a brake to this frame?

I live in a hilly area (SW PA) and I think I will sometimes NEED a
brake.

Bill

--
billham

It's better to be thought a fool, than to say something and remove all
doubt.
billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

Besides the A-Brake there is also a bracket you can use to mount this
brake on a frame without braze-ons (like your stock Coker frame). It is
called the Rad V-Brake Mount and used to be available 'here'
(http://www.unicycle.com/Shopping/shopexd.asp?id=566) at unicycle.com

You can see some photos of it at my 'cycle gallery.'
(http://community.webshots.com/album/29172825KykoOOuIOY) (some of the
last photos in the album on page 3). For example, 'this photo.'
(http://tinyurl.com/2wfry)

You could also get a local welder to braze on the mounting hardware.

---Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

nathan wrote:
> *Besides the A-Brake there is also a bracket you can use to mount this
> brake on a frame without braze-ons (like your stock Coker frame). It
> is called the Rad V-Brake Mount and used to be available 'here'
> (http://www.unicycle.com/Shopping/shopexd.asp?id=566) at
> unicycle.com
>
> ---Nathan *

I've been wanting to get this for a while, but unicycle.com doesn't have
it. I emailed them and they said they are looking for a new
manufacturer. Is there anywhere else I could get one?

Daniel

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino Updated: 04.07.03
Kaena
Bugman - "if you are a little left of them, it would seem like they are
on the right"
Sig count: 2

04.05.23 11214
04.05.25 11284
04.05.26 11329

Van, an industrious MUCster, did a wonderful Frankenbrake on Charles', a
frugal MUCster, Coker. It is very unfortunate that I cannot at this time
attach a photo. I'll do my best to describe.

They dug around in Van's box of misc parts. Extending from the post is
one of the handle extensions seen on mountain b*kes. (They make a
mountain b*ke look like it has a bull's horns.) Attached to that is
another of the same thing, to bring everything out past the seat. On the
end of all that is an old shifter from a 10 speed, all the screws
tightened for resistance. The old BMX brake was mounted through the T of
the crown.

We really need a picture. When Tommy gets back from NAUCC we'll post
one. I'll try do doodle it. For a bunch of spare parts, it's very
impressive.

| Attachment filename: coker brake.bmp |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/223654|

Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...

"do not think, just ride"...muniracer
Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

Nathan and Memphis Mud

Your input is exactly what I was looking for....THANKS.

Have only been on the coker in my driveway. I hope tonight will be the
maiden voayage. At least I know I can freemount it from my time in the
driveway. Sure looks big when you're not used to standing next to
one!

Brakes and handlebars are on the agenda soon!

Bill

--
billham

It's better to be thought a fool, than to say something and remove all
doubt.
billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

I took my standard Coker to the LBS and said I needed the bits to make a
brake. The size of the wheel ensured their service people came out to
give an opinion.

I left with a cheap gear lever, and a basic brake which needs a single
hole to be drilled in the seat tube. The pack had two but they split it
for me and gave me the rear one (I think this had the longer arms). A
quick eyeball test suggested it would fit.

They were very nervous about drilling the frame for me but I *carefully*
did this myself, the hole is near the bottom of the tube and hopefully
hasn't significantly weakened the frame. I did it over a year ago.

I 'borrowed' the bar-end off my unused bike (pedals are on another Uni!)
so the total cost was <£12 (20USD?).

The standard Coker rim is never fully true so and I only wanted a little
assistance so I found this solution ideal. Since upgrading to an Airfoil
rim the braking is much smoother, even with a cheap basic brake.

Keith

--
keg
keg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/212

keg

I hadn't thought about using a brake of the style you are suggesting.
Interesting thought.. not high tech, but obviously effective.

In addition to smoother braking, what differences did you notice when
you upgraded to the airfoil rim?

Bill

--
billham

It's better to be thought a fool, than to say something and remove all
doubt.
billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

A number of people have gone the drilling route and I don't know of
anyone who had problems with it. It won't be ideal even with the airfoil
rim, but it will be effective.

Some of the people on the Norway tour last year could never really get
their cheap brakes to work without rubbing though and ended up using it
only as a parking brake (which is a great feature of drag-brakes). I
improvised one with my HS33 by carrying a little velcro strap to pull
and hold the brake when stopping.

---Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

With the standard rim there was two obvious bumps which meant the brake
really only engaged for say 30% (guess) of a revolution however I found
this was acceptable for taking the pressure off the knees, my main
reason for fitting a brake to a Coker, although as Nathan mentioned
they make good parking brakes.

Since moving to an Airfoil rim it is possible to properly true the wheel
hence I have equal friction for the whole revolution, which is obviously
better. In the south of the UK there are no massive hills so I don't
need a large amount of friction I guess if you ride in a hilly area it
might be more critical, however this might need a 29" for the up bits.

To be honest the biggest differences from moving to an Airfoil rim
are:

- Black tyre and rim looks fantastic.
- Smoother braking.
- Wheel is actually true.

It *feels* better on cornering and generally firmer, although this could
all be psycological after spending the cash!

I only upgraded as I was on business in the US otherwise I would have
stuck with the standard rim until it failed (if ever).

Keith

--
keg
keg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/212

I just ordered a Big Cheese linear brake plate for my coker to add a
brake. It looks similar to the Rad V brake mount that unicylce.com used
to sell. I will post more info once i get it and install it. I'm
probably going to install a basic V brake.

Took my first ride on the coker last night, about 10+ miles. I went
with my wife and my daughter who were on their bikes. Fun, fun, fun.
I'll post some ride thoughts later. I gotta go eat supper and go back
out for a family ride again.

See my gallery for a few boring pics. I'll post upgrade pics in the
future.

http://tinyurl.com/63ave

So should I plan for a metric or full century this fall? I think I will
be getting sucked into this distance riding. Too much fun!

Bill

Bill