cold feet?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Lincoln Ross, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lincoln Ross

    Lincoln Ross Guest

    In my economy bike program, I don't have bike shoes, but even when I wear my rubber bottomed winter
    boots my feet get cold when it's 25 degrees or so. Have tried as many wool socks as will fit without
    tightness. Suggestions?
    --
    Lincoln Ross NOTE ADDRESS CHANGE: [email protected]
     
    Tags:


  2. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Lincoln Ross wrote:
    >
    > In my economy bike program, I don't have bike shoes, but even when I wear my rubber bottomed
    > winter boots my feet get cold when it's 25 degrees or so. Have tried as many wool socks as will
    > fit without tightness. Suggestions?
    > --
    > Lincoln Ross NOTE ADDRESS CHANGE: [email protected]

    Plain old Kmart wide running shoes with a pair of 90% wool socks over regular socks is very warm.
    Wide so it's loose on the foot.

    The one I've been using (reading the extra's card) is Carhartt style A 111 Arctic Boot Sock.

    the card lists a website http://www.carhartt.com but I got them at a discount store (Meijer's) a
    couple years ago, $11.99

    It's the first pair I've gotten that actually worked.

    The site actually works and finds the A 111 style sock.

    They're pretty think, I think you'd need only one pair on at once. I was fine this morning at 10
    degrees F.
    --
    Ron Hardin [email protected]

    On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.
     
  3. Garmonboezia

    Garmonboezia Guest

    Lincoln Ross <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > In my economy bike program, I don't have bike shoes, but even when I wear my rubber bottomed
    > winter boots my feet get cold when it's 25 degrees or so. Have tried as many wool socks as will
    > fit without tightness. Suggestions?

    Seal Skins plus good wool socks with Shimano Sandals are what I wear in winter rain. As others say,
    keeping things loose is the key to staying warm and comfortable. I'll still get wet, but that's ok
    because I'm well insulated.
     
  4. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    Shoes too tight and/or not dressed adequately in other areas.

    Robin Hubert

    "Lincoln Ross" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In my economy bike program, I don't have bike shoes, but even when I wear my rubber bottomed
    > winter boots my feet get cold when it's 25 degrees or so. Have tried as many wool socks as will
    > fit without tightness. Suggestions?
    > --
    > Lincoln Ross NOTE ADDRESS CHANGE: [email protected]
     
  5. Joe

    Joe Guest

    On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 18:37:59 -0500, Lincoln Ross <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In my economy bike program, I don't have bike shoes, but even when I wear my rubber bottomed winter
    >boots my feet get cold when it's 25 degrees or so. Have tried as many wool socks as will fit
    >without tightness. Suggestions?

    Take a look at the foot warmers at Cabelas. One option is the small Toe Warmers which adhere to
    your sock,

    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml;jsessionid=Q3I4TAIST2BMOCWQ-
    NVECFFAK0BWUOIV0?id=0006499515467a&navAction=push&navCount=0&indexId=&podId=0006499&catalogCode=XC&-
    parentId=&parentType=&rid=

    and the other is the the Cabela's battery heated boot sock.

    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0005479820754a&navAction-
    =jump&navCount=1&indexId=&podId=&catalogCode=&parentId=&parentType=&rid=

    I've been riding in 20° weather the past few weeks, and my toes are very cold after a half hour or
    so. This is with two pair of wool socks and a neoprene oversock. My feet are normally pretty cool,
    so it is no surprise to me that I still need additional heat for extended rides. I'm going to give
    the battery heated boot sock a try, with rechargeable NIMH D cells. A one time expense, and the heat
    can be turned on or off as required.

    I had an undershirt, 2 jerseys, and a Gore-tex windbreaker, windbreaker pants, Gore-tex gloves, and
    a neoprene face mask riding this morning....26° and unknown windchill. I was toasty warm with my
    neoprene face mask, however, my feet were eventually uncomfortably cold. While riding I felt as
    though I weighed another 10 lbs. I dimly remember complaining about excessive heat in August.

    Joe
     
  6. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Ron Hardin wrote:
    > They're pretty think, I think you'd need only one pair on at once.s/think/thick/
    --
    Ron Hardin [email protected]

    On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.
     
  7. Lincoln Ross

    Lincoln Ross Guest

    Thanks. I've tried slightly oversized leather shoes with heavy wool socks underneath. No luck, tho
    better than sneakers. Trying to work up the nerve to use cross country ski boots! You probably ride
    harder than I do, and stay warm. I huff and puff when I work that hard.

    Ron Hardin wrote:
    >
    > Lincoln Ross wrote:
    > >
    > > In my economy bike program, I don't have bike shoes, but even when I wear my rubber bottomed
    > > winter boots my feet get cold when it's 25 degrees or so. Have tried as many wool socks as will
    > > fit without tightness. Suggestions?
    > > --
    > > Lincoln Ross NOTE ADDRESS CHANGE: [email protected]
    >
    > Plain old Kmart wide running shoes with a pair of 90% wool socks over regular socks is very warm.
    > Wide so it's loose on the foot.
    >
    > The one I've been using (reading the extra's card) is Carhartt style A 111 Arctic Boot Sock.
    >
    > the card lists a website http://www.carhartt.com but I got them at a discount store (Meijer's) a
    > couple years ago, $11.99
    >
    > It's the first pair I've gotten that actually worked.
    >
    > The site actually works and finds the A 111 style sock.
    >
    > They're pretty think, I think you'd need only one pair on at once. I was fine this morning at 10
    > degrees F.
    > --
    > Ron Hardin [email protected]
    >
    > On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

    --
    Lincoln Ross NOTE ADDRESS CHANGE: [email protected]
     
  8. Lincoln Ross

    Lincoln Ross Guest

    Forgive my ignorance. What are Seal Skins? BTW, if it's warm enough for liquid water, I don't do too
    badly with my boots. In that case I just need something to protect the entire bike from wet, sandy,
    salty crud. But my bike doesn't seem to fit in the washing machine!

    garmonboezia wrote:
    >
    > Lincoln Ross <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > In my economy bike program, I don't have bike shoes, but even when I wear my rubber bottomed
    > > winter boots my feet get cold when it's 25 degrees or so. Have tried as many wool socks as will
    > > fit without tightness. Suggestions?
    >
    > Seal Skins plus good wool socks with Shimano Sandals are what I wear in winter rain. As others
    > say, keeping things loose is the key to staying warm and comfortable. I'll still get wet, but
    > that's ok because I'm well insulated.

    --
    Lincoln Ross NOTE ADDRESS CHANGE: [email protected]
     
  9. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Lincoln Ross wrote:
    >
    > Thanks. I've tried slightly oversized leather shoes with heavy wool socks underneath. No luck, tho
    > better than sneakers. Trying to work up the nerve to use cross country ski boots! You probably
    > ride harder than I do, and stay warm. I huff and puff when I work that hard.

    Make sure they're up around 90% wool. There's lots of blends that aren't very wool and aren't
    very warm.
    --
    Ron Hardin [email protected]

    On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.
     
  10. Mike Vore

    Mike Vore Guest

    On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 18:37:59 -0500, Lincoln Ross <[email protected]> wrote:
    > In my economy bike program, I don't have bike shoes, but even when I wear my rubber bottomed
    > winter boots my feet get cold when it's 25 degrees or so. Have tried as many wool socks as will
    > fit without tightness. Suggestions?
    > --

    Try LONG knee high Cross Counry Ski socks - colorful, or if you don't wnat the color they come in
    dark blue or black. Keeping the blood warm on the way to the feet is my theory of keeping the feet
    warm. If the blood is cold there's just no way the feet will warm up.

    I've used this to ride in sub 30F weather and had no feeling of cold in my feet. 1 pair of light
    street socks, one pair of XCSki socks and sneakers or bike shoes.

    mike

    --
    Michael Vore, W3CCV M-ASA [Ka8 (MU)] WHIRL (Burley LIMBO) http://mike.vorefamily.net/ohmywoodness
    <-Custom Woodworking http://mike.vorefamily.net/thewoodenradio <-The weblog
     
  11. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >In my economy bike program, I don't have bike shoes, but even when I wear my rubber bottomed winter
    >boots my feet get cold when it's 25 degrees or so. Have tried as many wool socks as will fit
    >without tightness. Suggestions?

    Get better boots. You need well insulated boots, and you won't have to wear so many socks and your
    feet will be comfortable. When I have ridden in the snow, 20 deg F, my feet were toasty wearing my
    insulated boots. If you are on a budget, check out www.sportsmansguide.com . They regularly sell
    insulated boots at a large discount. You may have to wait a bit till they get good ones in your
    size, but with some patience you can get good boots for under $50, maybe under $30, and if you are
    reall lucky $20.
    -----------------
    Alex
     
  12. Max

    Max Guest

    Lincoln Ross wrote:
    >
    > In my economy bike program, I don't have bike shoes, but even when I wear my rubber bottomed
    > winter boots my feet get cold when it's 25 degrees or so. Have tried as many wool socks as will
    > fit without tightness. Suggestions?

    I'd amplify what other posters say about tightness from foot to leg.

    I'm down to zero to -5 F a couple of times of late and haven't had any trouble. Here's my setup,
    bottom to top, inside to outside.

    Feet: Loose wool socks Steel toed construction boots, loosely laced.

    Legs: Bike shorts to make me feel sexy. (loose)Cotton Sweat pants, with the elastic at the ankles
    cut (only worn below 20) (loose) Bright yellowthin nylon shell with gauzy cotton lining Wide velcro
    strap around right ankle

    Torso: Long sleeve cotton knit shirt Long sleeve polar fleece pullover Bright Chartruse Nylon wind
    shell (_not_ waterproof) Giant puffy red vest

    Head: foam ear plugs (and yes, virginia i can hear just peachy!) Clear safety glasses Thin (not
    fleece!) baklava/headsock Helmet

    Hands: plain ol' bikey gloves cheep-o flock-lined black Wells Lamont gloves.

    I'm riding about 12.5 miles each way on a 21 speed MTB with inverted-tread street tires.

    A couple of things i find that help: I keep all openings loose to promote blood flow to extremities.
    I ride at a somewhat high power level, keeping my core temps way up there. I also periodically take
    my feet off the pedals and shake them vigorously. Generally, i only have to shake my hands once,
    about 10 minutes into the ride.

    The high power level makes a lot of diffenence; lean towards hammering
    vs. dawdling.

    I arrive at work toasty warm and a little sweaty in the torso area. and definitely NOT
    cold anywhere.

    hth.max
     
  13. Mister

    Mister Guest

    We are having -30 weather here in Canada man it's cold.Try getting off your bike once an hour and
    walking for 5 minutes to keep the ciculation going.
     
  14. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Lincoln Ross wrote:
    > Forgive my ignorance. What are Seal Skins?

    Sealskinz is a brand of breathable waterproof socks and gloves (see their website). I use the
    MidLight version and find them useful in dry conditions as well because they keep in plenty of
    warmth (more so than any thermal socks I've tried). I recommend them.

    You could also add some duct tape over the toes of your shoes. Nevermind how stupid it looks!

    -------------
    For UK readers: I've got a medium size pair of Sealskinz GLOVES for auction at:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2701289908

    ~PB
     
  15. Garmonboezia

    Garmonboezia Guest

    "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Lincoln Ross wrote:
    >> Forgive my ignorance. What are Seal Skins?
    >
    > Sealskinz is a brand of breathable waterproof socks and gloves (see their website). I use the
    > MidLight version and find them useful in dry conditions as well because they keep in plenty of
    > warmth (more so than
    any
    > thermal socks I've tried). I recommend them.
    >
    > You could also add some duct tape over the toes of your shoes. Nevermind how stupid it looks!
    >
    > -------------
    > For UK readers: I've got a medium size pair of Sealskinz GLOVES for auction at:
    > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2701289908
    >
    > ~PB
    >
    >
    >
    >

    Actually a boating person told me about Seal Skinz. Also, that stuff scuba divers wear, (neoprene?)
    works well to cover extremities.
     
  16. Mymacv

    Mymacv Guest

    I wrap my bike shoes in layers of newspaper and cover the whole mess with the plastic bags that my
    newspaper gets delivered in and hold it all together with a wrap of masking tape. I use toe clips so
    this works OK but looks like hell. Does a good job but neoprene toe covers would be a lot easier.
     
  17. Mister

    Mister Guest

    [email protected] (MYMACV) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > >We are having -30 weather here in Canada man it's cold.
    >
    > How do you ride a bike when it's that cold!? It's down to around 25 [ that's plus celsius] here in
    > New Jersey and I can hardly stand it for 17 miles. I go to Florida for the month of February and
    > though that is the most dangerous placed I've ever cycled, at least I'll be warm for awhile.
    > Whatever happened to global warming? John

    Take a look at this http://hpv.tricolour.net/vic/HPmove/index.html
     
  18. Mister

    Mister Guest

    [email protected] (MYMACV) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > >We are having -30 weather here in Canada man it's cold.
    >
    > How do you ride a bike when it's that cold!? It's down to around 25 [ that's plus celsius] here in
    > New Jersey and I can hardly stand it for 17 miles. I go to Florida for the month of February and
    > though that is the most dangerous placed I've ever cycled, at least I'll be warm for awhile.
    > Whatever happened to global warming? John

    I have tendonitis so I have to stay off my bike this winter,but past experience has taught me that
    cold isn't nearly as bad as wind and snow.We have bike couriers who work all winter long here,if you
    can believe that.
     
  19. Robin Hubert wrote:
    > Shoes too tight and/or not dressed adequately in other areas.

    That often is the problem (but not always). I do know from skiing, a good warm hat that covered my
    ears and plenty of warm layers over the upper body did wonders to warm up my feet.

    --Bill Davidson
    --
    Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...