Cold Weather: Confused!

doctorold

Dec 14, 2010
North Carolina
I realize that this subject has been done on here ad nauseum and I have indeed used the search function to review. Please don't flame. I have been pretty much a fair weather cyclist, riding in temperatures down to about 48-50. But this winter I would like to extend the season and ride in temps lower than that, down to maybe 35. I do realize that I need to dress in layers and to stay away from cotton. I currently have a Cutter merino jersey and knickers. But I plan on getting some merino base layers but beyond that I am uncertain in which direction to go. I have considered maybe going with tights and maybe some sort of jacket, maybe with removable sleeves. It's also been suggested to me to try leg warmers instead of tights. And as I look at the many options, I also see that there are a plethora of offerings from the many manufacturers of this clothing with a wide array of price ranges. So my questions are: What works best for you in the mid 30's to upper 40's temperature range? And what brands are considered better than others? Before I go dropping hundreds of dollars, I'd like to have some feedback from real people. Thanks ahead of time for your input.

I'm a fan of UnderArmour's products, Their Cold Gear fitted mock shirts do very well for me in temps so far, down to about 45. Also have two pair of UA's pants; one cold gear lined, that I plan on using like yourself when the temps drop near freezing. The other, a regular pair of fleece warm-ups do very well. Would recommend a pair of velcro ankle straps to keep the pant legs out of the chain and crank. Recently put down $12 for a nice pair of Jandd straps. Very well built and ez on and off. They seem to hold thier place and don't run up my legs. As far as keeping the core warm, I'm a big fan of Marmot's line of outdoor gear. The Leadville vest is perfect for cooler temps and the vest breathes well; cannot say enough about this vest. For the hands, still riding with my regular cut-out gels from Pearl Izumi. I have a pair of Performance Cycling's long gloves for when it gets colder.

Seems like this week's morning rides takes more time getting dressed than riding, but as long as I can keep pedaling, it's well worth it. Good Luck!

Well, I got little response here but after reading quite a bit I chose to buy a couple merino baselayers, a Gore Windstopper jacket with removable sleeves and some Gore tights. I was uncertain about using leg warmers so we'll see how it goes. I've got some gloves that are not cycle specific but I think they'll work well and a thin skull cap that will easily fit under my helmet. Bring on the cold temps, I'm ready (I think). Just had my drivetrain gone through and replaced the chain so hopefully I will log lots of miles this fall, winter.

Originally Posted by doctorold .

Well, I got little response here but after reading quite a bit I chose to buy a couple merino baselayers, a Gore Windstopper jacket with removable sleeves and some Gore tights. I was uncertain about using leg warmers so we'll see how it goes. I've got some gloves that are not cycle specific but I think they'll work well and a thin skull cap that will easily fit under my helmet. Bring on the cold temps, I'm ready (I think). Just had my drivetrain gone through and replaced the chain so hopefully I will log lots of miles this fall, winter.
My bib tights don't have much of a performance advantage over my leg warmers until the temps dip into the 20's or so.........well, that's when the performance difference becomes noticeable anyway. To be fair, my bib tights are made of a heavier material than my leg warmers. The benefit to the leg warmers is when temperatures increase a bunch after a ride starts, I can take the leg warmers off and stow 'em in a back pocket. I also use a set of bib knickers which I'll wear down to 40 or so without issue. I've actually worn the bib knickers to about 30, and they were still acceptably warm. It just took a bit longer for my lower legs to warm, and then they still weren't quite as warm as the rest of me.

Up top I use a Giordana Silverline jacket for with which I've yet to be cold. At 20 degrees, with a long sleeve jersey underneath, it's plenty warm. I'm sure the jacket will function to below 10 at least, possibly more with the proper layers.

One thing to keep in mind as something to possibly try is some form of embrocation (Tiger Balm works for me). They can add a nice toasty feeling to the legs which is quite useful at least until you're warmed up on the bike......and maybe further. They can feel damned nice, too, when applied after a long, cold ride. Generally it's not good to apply them to the soles of your feet, armpits or the area between Mr. Stinky and the Grollies unless you enjoy a very particular kind of suffering.

Well Doc you are starting out at the right time to prepare yourself for cold weather riding. I ride throughout most of the winter here in New England so I can hopefully give you a few tips. As the temps continue to fall you will be out riding adapting to the changes gradually. Add a layer here and there as you feel you need them.
Gore Tec Windstopper is an excellant choice I have one and use it throughout the Fall, Winter and spring. I wear cycling jerseys underneath short sleeve when temps are in the 40's long sleeve in the 30's and a sleeveless and long sleeve below freezing. I use unpadded tights with padded shorts underneath. This layering allows to remove the tights if the temps rise while out riding. I wear a polypropelene skull cap under my helmet when the temps approach the lower 40's. I add a helmet cover once in the 30's and change my skull cap out for a bavaclava below freezing. My skull cap below freezing moves into one of my pockets in case the temp goes up.
I wear mid weight Nashbar cycling gloves throughout most of the season. I do change into snowboarding gloves when the temps are below freezing.
Two pairs of wool socks along with some toe covers I just ordered are all I have done for my feet. This is an issue you will need to work on. I find the feet are the most difficult part of your body to keep warm. I refuse to pay over 200 for winter cycling shoes. I may switch over to mountain bike shoes this year.
You want to feel cool when you first step outside in your gear dont over do it. If so layering will allow to remove articles as needed. I keep my helmets and shoes in the heated house during the winter instead of the garage. I find it makes a big difference.
Good Luck and remember to keep you eyes on the road surface during the winter. You can always turn back dont take on the ice.
Dave

Thanks for the input. I haven't done anything about the feet yet and I know I need to. I wear Keen cycling shoes most of the time but I still get chilly dogs. I haven't researched the toe/shoe covers yet so that is next. I kind of want to ease into this winter riding so starting now with temps in the a.m. in the mid to upper forties is a good starting point for me. Most of the time it warms up to the mid 50's by the time I get home. As I get older I am def more sensitive to the cold so I'm trying not to be a wuss and get out there and go!

You are going to be fine with that. It seems pretty versatile. Keep in mind that you should start out feeling somewhat cold and you'll warm up pretty quickly once you get riding. You don't want to be sweaty in the winter and 35 degrees is not very cold. If your feet get cold try some thick wool socks.

Thanks for the input. I haven't done anything about the feet yet and I know I need to. I wear Keen cycling shoes most of the time but I still get chilly dogs. I haven't researched the toe/shoe covers yet so that is next. I kind of want to ease into this winter riding so starting now with temps in the a.m. in the mid to upper forties is a good starting point for me. Most of the time it warms up to the mid 50's by the time I get home. As I get older I am def more sensitive to the cold so I'm trying not to be a wuss and get out there and go!
My feet have never given me issues while riding in cold temps (now, when it's 140+ just above the road surface, the feet can get a bit toasty). When it's going to be below 40, I usually reach for booties to put over my shoes. The booties are made of WindTex and are fairly thin and stretchy. Booties are cheap to buy, but if you're wearing street shoes, they may not be a viable option. In terms of socks, I never wear more than one pair, but my feet tend to stay pretty warm anyway. Be careful wearing more than one pair of socks. While an additional pair can provide warmth, it will do the exact opposite if it causes a decrease in circulation because of a subsequent tight fitting shoe. One option that works great is putting a baggie over your each foot before putting your socks on. This stops a lot of evaporative heat loss, but can leave you with a moist foot at the end of a long ride. Saran wrap works well for that, too.

Ok if we're on to feet, maybe I can add more. I'm an avid skier, lived in a very cold climate and feel I am well adjusted for cold weather. My feet almost never get cold when skiing except when down to zero degrees or so. I wear medium weight wool socks when skiing but don't use chemical heaters. But in riding in the winter with regular MTB shoes and normal socks, my feet will start feeling cold maybe a half hour in at 30 degrees. I found by wearing thicker wool socks (yes, I have room in my shoes) and neoprene booties that I could handle 2 hours or so at temps in the 20s to 30s without my toes getting numb. I think the issue is that on bike riding your toes and feet are not very active so circulation isn't being stimulated and the wind is always on them. Perhaps an additional toe cover would help too. Whereas in skiing my feet are more active and I can be out all day with no issues. When I rode for 2-3 hours in temps in the teens it was uncomfortable but not getting awful. I can't comment on the plastic bag thing. I've heard of some skiers using them over their boot liners and have also heard of using anti-perspirant on their feet. Ski boots are much more sealed than biking shoes are. Maybe bags would help as long as your socks absorb any additional sweat that may occur. I'd try them over my socks first rather than against the skin. It is pretty easy to test out though.

Fortunately I got a great deal ($65) on discontinued winter bike shoes last year and they do make a difference. Since I commute in the winter, before I got the winter shoes, I also considered just using regular winter hiking boots along with pedals that have half clips instead of clipless pedals. This might have been a bit clunky but would be warm. But for the length of my commute and my temperatures, the neoprene and MTB shoes were adequate. I think if you plan to be out for more than a couple of hours in temps below 30 you'll need to work your way up to it and see if your gear is adequate for your feet.

Tested my Gore jacket this a.m. when temps were around 47. One cheap baselayer (waiting for my merino to arrive) and knickers with weathermax socks in my Keen cycle shoes and regular half gloves. Perfectly comfy up top and below. Slight unzip as temps rose. Gore Phantom was a good choice. Hands and head were fine. My feet were definitely cold but not frozen. Shoe covering is next!

Tested my Gore jacket this a.m. when temps were around 47. One cheap baselayer (waiting for my merino to arrive) and knickers with weathermax socks in my Keen cycle shoes and regular half gloves. Perfectly comfy up top and below. Slight unzip as temps rose. Gore Phantom was a good choice. Hands and head were fine. My feet were definitely cold but not frozen. Shoe covering is next!
There you go adapt along the way and you will be just fine.

Originally Posted by alienator .

My feet have never given me issues while riding in cold temps (now, when it's 140+ just above the road surface, the feet can get a bit toasty). When it's going to be below 40, I usually reach for booties to put over my shoes. The booties are made of WindTex and are fairly thin and stretchy. Booties are cheap to buy, but if you're wearing street shoes, they may not be a viable option. In terms of socks, I never wear more than one pair, but my feet tend to stay pretty warm anyway. Be careful wearing more than one pair of socks. While an additional pair can provide warmth, it will do the exact opposite if it causes a decrease in circulation because of a subsequent tight fitting shoe. One option that works great is putting a baggie over your each foot before putting your socks on. This stops a lot of evaporative heat loss, but can leave you with a moist foot at the end of a long ride. Saran wrap works well for that, too.

This is true about circulation. I have a pair of Luis Garneau Mt something or other shoes that have a rather large toe box. These work well with the layered socks. I have never tried the saran wrap but have a friend who swears by bread bags. I may give these a try this coming winter. After all these are my favorite priced items not free but from the grocery budget.

Originally Posted by davereo .

This is true about circulation. I have a pair of Luis Garneau Mt something or other shoes that have a rather large toe box. These work well with the layered socks. I have never tried the saran wrap but have a friend who swears by bread bags. I may give these a try this coming winter. After all these are my favorite priced items not free but from the grocery budget.

I guess you could also try condoms. The lube would make them easy to get on and off, and the reservoir tip would fit a big toe perfectly.

I guess you could also try condoms. The lube would make them easy to get on and off, and the reservoir tip would fit a big toe perfectly.
That way anyone can justify buying "Magnums"

I'll avoid the condoms. About 12 years ago my son had a great idea to iron his jeans in the dryer. So he opened the dryer tossed in his jeans with a load of my laundry. Needless to say the wifey was alittle ****** off at me when she folded my clothes and found a condom.

Originally Posted by davereo .

I'll avoid the condoms. About 12 years ago my son had a great idea to iron his jeans in the dryer. So he opened the dryer tossed in his jeans with a load of my laundry. Needless to say the wifey was alittle ****** off at me when she folded my clothes and found a condom.

I'm sure she would be ok today once you told her it was for your feet. You could show her this thread.

Just a short follow up. I went out Monday morning with the temp being 57 and overcast skies. I didn't want to overdress and I keep hearing cyclists say, "go out a little chilly and you'll warm up". Well, it took me 26 miles to warm up during a 34 mile ride. Wore just a long sleeve jersey and regular shorts. I'm of the opinion now that you should layer alot and never take the chance that it'll "warm up". But def gotta get some toe warmers or something. No matter what the temps below 60, my feet get chilly.

Just a short follow up. I went out Monday morning with the temp being 57 and overcast skies. I didn't want to overdress and I keep hearing cyclists say, "go out a little chilly and you'll warm up". Well, it took me 26 miles to warm up during a 34 mile ride. Wore just a long sleeve jersey and regular shorts. I'm of the opinion now that you should layer alot and never take the chance that it'll "warm up". But def gotta get some toe warmers or something. No matter what the temps below 60, my feet get chilly.
Below 60°F, I definitely wear leg warmers or at least knee warmers. I like keeping my knees warm. You should consider picking up a pair of either or both. They're not expensive, and you can get serviceable varieties just about anywhere. You also may find that your feet will feel warmer with those warmers on. After all, the arteries in warm legs don't constrict so much (since your core will also be warmer), so more blood flows to the feet. If there are any items that almost every cyclist should have, those items are arm warmers and leg and/or knee warmers.

This is getting expensive. I sure hope the things I've bought will last. Especially since I'm not done. So I have bought some windstopper tights and jacket, some merino baselayers, and another thermal type jersey. Temps have been in the 40s and 50s so my feet have been very cold. Just ordered some toe warmers. I'm using a skull cap and some gloves I already had but the gloves sorta suck so I need some new gloves. I have found that the cold wind is just killing my eyes so I've bought some sunglasses with changeable lenses. I don't even want to add up the total but for what I've spent I could almost buy another bike!! I can say, however, that I have enjoyed getting out on the "crisp" days rather than sit on the trainer. Gotta love this sport.

It may be expensive because you have probably bought top quality stuff. Hopefully this will work better than the cheaper stuff.

I would say that I don't consider temps in the 40s and 50s particularly cold so if you plan to ride in much colder temps, I'm not sure what you will think. Some of your concern may be just the fact that the season is changing and you have not gotten used to being in colder weather yet. (Maybe you never previously did much outside in the winter.) At some point, accepting that you are not going to be "toasty warm" in the winter is the reality of the situation and maybe you'll find it to be tolerable as you do more of it. (Just as you don't expect to feel cool outside in the summer in N.C.)

I know that not wanting to feel cold is pretty common as I don't see very many cyclists out here in the winter. (and almost nobody else on very cold days.) So consider there may be a reason for that which you are challenging yourself to overcome. But keep in mind that lots of people live in very cold climates and have adjusted to being active outside in the winter.