Cold Weather: Confused!

Originally Posted by AlanG .

Maybe bags would help as long as your socks absorb any additional sweat that may occur. I'd try them over my socks first rather than against the skin. It is pretty easy to test out though.

Originally Posted by alienator .

..... One option that works great is putting a baggie over your each foot before putting your socks on. This stops a lot of evaporative heat loss, but can leave you with a moist foot at the end of a long ride. Saran wrap works well for that, too.

The idea of using a vapour barrier is pretty wide spread among ice/mountain climbers and other people who need to stay outdoors for days on end. Quite a few people also use plastic liners in their sleeping bags for winter camping.
It's not really a case of the barrier making you immediately warmer, there's not a lot of evaporation going on through a thick winter shoe anyhow.
But what is does is to help the outside garments keep their insulating properties. If you're actually sweating, you'll soak the layers closest to the skin fairly fast, ruining the insulating properties(mainly based around their ability to retain air) of those garments.
If you're riding in below freezing, even if you aren't sweating, moisture released from the body will migrate through your clothes until it reaches a point where the moisture will turn into ice, and gradually degrade the insulating properties of the garment as the ice builds up.
It's mainly a boon when it's hard to dry your items between uses, but obviously that depends on how much you're sweating.
I've been using surgical gloves as liners inside my mittens the last winter, and it's worked out real well. Clammy but warm is a definite upgrade from clammy and frozen stiff.

Originally Posted by AlanG .

I would say that I don't consider temps in the 40s and 50s particularly cold so if you plan to ride in much colder temps, I'm not sure what you will think. Some of your concern may be just the fact that the season is changing and you have not gotten used to being in colder weather yet. (Maybe you never previously did much outside in the winter.) At some point, accepting that you are not going to be "toasty warm" in the winter is the reality of the situation and maybe you'll find it to be tolerable as you do more of it. (Just as you don't expect to feel cool outside in the summer in N.C.)

I know that not wanting to feel cold is pretty common as I don't see very many cyclists out here in the winter. (and almost nobody else on very cold days.) So consider there may be a reason for that which you are challenging yourself to overcome. But keep in mind that lots of people live in very cold climates and have adjusted to being active outside in the winter.
Riding in 50 degree temps is fine. It's below that where I am slowly acclimating. Upper 40's I seem pretty good now. Low 40's my feet are numb and my hands are hurting. Like I said, I need new gloves and help is on the way for the feet. Below 40? I haven't really considered that yet but I guess if we have a cold stretch this winter I will have probably take a crack at that and see how I do. I'm finding that as I get older, the extremes seem to bother me more. I hate the sweltering weather and the cold does bother me a bit more. I just know that if you can't find some level of comfort or tolerance, it's going to be hard to get miles in or even get the motivation to get on the bike and go. When spring rolls around next year I hope I am able to say that I hardly used my cycle trainer much this winter.

Originally Posted by doctorold .

Riding in 50 degree temps is fine. It's below that where I am slowly acclimating. Upper 40's I seem pretty good now. Low 40's my feet are numb and my hands are hurting. Like I said, I need new gloves and help is on the way for the feet. Below 40? I haven't really considered that yet but I guess if we have a cold stretch this winter I will have probably take a crack at that and see how I do. I'm finding that as I get older, the extremes seem to bother me more. I hate the sweltering weather and the cold does bother me a bit more. I just know that if you can't find some level of comfort or tolerance, it's going to be hard to get miles in or even get the motivation to get on the bike and go. When spring rolls around next year I hope I am able to say that I hardly used my cycle trainer much this winter.
FWIW. You may want to consult a physician/[COLOR= #808080]whomever[/COLOR] regarding your circulation as your difficulty with barely-cold temps may be symptomatic of an underlying situation which may need to be addressed.

In the meantime ([COLOR= #808080]in addition to heeding alienator's inference that you want to ensure that you maintain your body's core temperature[/COLOR]), the backpacker's maxim worth keeping in mind is [COLOR= #ff0000]WARM HEAD, WARM FEET[/COLOR].

BTW. This may be stating the obvious, but proper circulation requires proper hydration.

Just a short follow up. I went out Monday morning with the temp being 57 and overcast skies. I didn't want to overdress and I keep hearing cyclists say, "go out a little chilly and you'll warm up". Well, it took me 26 miles to warm up during a 34 mile ride. Wore just a long sleeve jersey and regular shorts. I'm of the opinion now that you should layer alot and never take the chance that it'll "warm up". But def gotta get some toe warmers or something. No matter what the temps below 60, my feet get chilly.

If you are having issues dealing with the colder temps you should start shortening your rides. Myself during the winter I do shorter rides at a higher tempo. My winter goal is to keep riding and stay fit. Why stay out riding for two hours if it is not pleasant. During the spring I work on increasing my ride lengths in preparation for events I may be planning on riding.

It's important to remember that starting out a little "cool" or "cold" is completely relative. You have to find what combination works for you over the length of your ride. So, you started out cold and didn't warm up until long into the ride. That means you started out too cold. Next time, wear a bit more, or do it like they used to range artillery: shoot long; shoot short and work back and forth until you find the happy point somewhere in the middle. There is no absolute answer here. Also, current state of health and age can affect what you consider to be warm or cold. I can remember randonnee skiing uphill to a pass in the Rockies with only a long sleeve, middle weight Capilene jersey on my top and being a bit warm when it was 10°F outside. I can also remember the year after an extensive surgery during which I never thought I would get warm. So it goes. In general, the more you ride, the warmer you'll feel during winter rides and the more quickly you'll acclimate to your environment.

Three points of which to take heed:
  1. Dehydration will tend to make you feel more cold. Make sure to drink lots of fluids when riding, even in winter.
  2. Poor eating habits will do the same.
  3. Fatigue can have the same affects as above. Get plenty of rest.

Having spent a lot of winter time in the mountains, I can tell there can be a big difference between Day 1 when you don't drink enough and Day 3 when you've finally caught up and have been properly hydrated. The difference between motivation on those two days is immense as well.

Not much to add to this litany of info. Shoe covers made a huge difference for me. I tried the lightweight toe covers first and then added a softshell full shoe cover - toasty.

Not much to add to this litany of info. Shoe covers made a huge difference for me. I tried the lightweight toe covers first and then added a softshell full shoe cover - toasty.

Riding in 50 degree temps is fine. It's below that where I am slowly acclimating. Upper 40's I seem pretty good now. Low 40's my feet are numb and my hands are hurting. Like I said, I need new gloves and help is on the way for the feet.
40's is fine for wanting booties and full fingers. No need to check with a physician on circulatory issues. Some folks are fine with the cold, some less so. In the 40's, feet in summer cleats can get pretty chilly - a lightweight bootie can make all the difference between enjoying the ride and not. In the 30's I go one step further and use the neoprene booties. My feet are wet after the ride but still toasty.

You will be your own best judge - just keep experimenting, maybe you do need to start out a little chilly and warm up. Personally I like to be comfy at every stage of the ride, if that means stripping away the windbreaker, or the brushed skull cap, or the arm/legwarmers, or whatever at any point, ce la vie. That stuff scrunches up to nothing in a jersey pocket. Have seen to many cowboys not come out with not enough and silently suffer out of pride. Also, It's easier to start cold and warm up too if the head and feet are properly taken care of.

Leg warmers. I tried a set under shorts and they rolled up something fierce. I gave up and went with 3/4 tights. Saturday was extra chilly so I pulled the leg warmers on over the tights and taped them still with blue painter's tape. Looked ridiculous but it worked.

Is there a trick to using these leg warmers that I am missing?

Thanks

Originally Posted by rxter .

Leg warmers. I tried a set under shorts and they rolled up something fierce. I gave up and went with 3/4 tights. Saturday was extra chilly so I pulled the leg warmers on over the tights and taped them still with blue painter's tape. Looked ridiculous but it worked.

Is there a trick to using these leg warmers that I am missing?

Thanks
What do you mean by "they rolled up"?

I've never any issues with leg warmers I've used. Right now I'm using Giordana leg warmers, which replaced a cheap pair of Performance leg warmers I bought in a stop-gap move. Both have/had zippered ankles and nice grippers at the tops and bottoms. With both sets, I folded the top ends over by about 1 - 2" since they were a bit long. They both have worked, but the Giordanas are a bit nicer: they're warmer; they're finished better; and they fit a bit better.

Leg warmers should go under your shorts. Note that if you wear them outside of your shorts and use tape, you may be prevented from entering France and/or Italy. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

My dogs roll over when they want their bellies rubbed.

Rode this morning. When I left home it was 45 degrees. But temps rose fairly quickly and I had already decided to go short today. Only rode 22 miles. But I was really comfy the whole time except for feet getting chilly, not that numb cold like on other days (toe warmers arrived later today!). I'm fairly certain I have no circulatory problems. My last physical, the doctor told me I was in good shape for an athlete of any age. I think it's a matter of getting used to the temps along with the help of some proper clothing. I also wore sunglasses for the first time today. Didn't realize what a big difference that made. No watery eyes from the wind cutting across my face while going 30+ mph downhill.

Rolled up may be a bad description. Used them under the shorts and they fell, like the elastic was not tight enough. They created an area under the shorts that resembled a roll. Damned uncomfortable. One of them escaped the shorts alltogether and fell down under my knee. They may have been too big, although they were the small size. Anyway, today even the tape did not work. Spinning up a hill the tape popped and the things fell again - arghhh....

I am going to look for either smaller, tighter warmers or just bail and get a full length thermal tights - its getting cold here. I'll check out the Giordana's - thanks for the tip.

If I use tricolor tape you think they'd let me in?

Originally Posted by rxter .

Rolled up may be a bad description. Used them under the shorts and they fell, like the elastic was not tight enough. They created an area under the shorts that resembled a roll. Damned uncomfortable. One of them escaped the shorts alltogether and fell down under my knee. They may have been too big, although they were the small size. Anyway, today even the tape did not work. Spinning up a hill the tape popped and the things fell again - arghhh....

I am going to look for either smaller, tighter warmers or just bail and get a full length thermal tights - its getting cold here. I'll check out the Giordana's - thanks for the tip.

If I use tricolor tape you think they'd let me in?

Tape is only acceptable on injuries or when it's hidden as at fashion shows.

I went to Target this afternoon with my wife and found that they had a really nice selection of Champion base layer garments. I picked up a decent bacalava for 13.59. Thought I'd pass this along.