Competitive cyclists needed for research study!

Max_Bath

Nov 5, 2020
England
Hi everyone,

I hope I am allowed to post on here... As you can imagine, recruiting participants during this pandemic is proving very difficult so I thought I would try recruiting on cycling forums such as this to see if I can get any better luck!

I am recruiting competitive cyclists (and runners/swimmers) for a qualitative research study that I am conducting as part of my PhD. The study aims to explore athletes' experiences leading up to upper respiratory tract infection (common cold) symptoms, and the direct/indirect impact such symptoms may have had on your sporting performance.

As a participant, all you will need to do is attend a one-off interview via video call with myself - these typically last between 40-60 minutes. To be eligible, you need to be competing at a regional or higher level and have experienced common cold symptoms (e.g., sore throat, runny/blocked nose, coughing, sneezing) on two or more consecutive days in the past month. However, if you have not experienced such symptoms but are still interested in taking part and meet the other inclusion criteria, please let me know as you may experience these symptoms at a later date and we can keep in touch regarding this.

This research study will provide you with a good insight into how research is conducted at a University and give you a good opportunity to reflect on your experiences - previous participants have found this surprisingly helpful! Please let me know if you are interested in taking part by contacting me: [email protected]

Thanks,

Max

Hi everyone,

I hope I am allowed to post on here... As you can imagine, recruiting participants during this pandemic is proving very difficult so I thought I would try recruiting on cycling forums such as this to see if I can get any better luck!

I am recruiting competitive cyclists (and runners/swimmers) for a qualitative research study that I am conducting as part of my PhD. The study aims to explore athletes' experiences leading up to upper respiratory tract infection (common cold) symptoms, and the direct/indirect impact such symptoms may have had on your sporting performance.

As a participant, all you will need to do is attend a one-off interview via video call with myself - these typically last between 40-60 minutes. To be eligible, you need to be competing at a regional or higher level and have experienced common cold symptoms (e.g., sore throat, runny/blocked nose, coughing, sneezing) on two or more consecutive days in the past month. However, if you have not experienced such symptoms but are still interested in taking part and meet the other inclusion criteria, please let me know as you may experience these symptoms at a later date and we can keep in touch regarding this.

This research study will provide you with a good insight into how research is conducted at a University and give you a good opportunity to reflect on your experiences - previous participants have found this surprisingly helpful! Please let me know if you are interested in taking part by contacting me: [email protected]

Thanks,

Max

Hey Max, do you still need this? I tick all the boxes but I didn't want to write you an email since a good month passed.

Hey Max, do you still need this? I tick all the boxes but I didn't want to write you an email since a good month passed.

Hi Dan,

Thank you so much for showing interest in the study. Yes, we still need participants for the study so please send me over an e-mail and I’ll send across all the information

Max

Hi Dan,

Thank you so much for showing interest in the study. Yes, we still need participants for the study so please send me over an e-mail and I’ll send across all the information

Max

Sure, ran into some personal problems unfortunately so can't really give you a timeline, but I'll send an email as soon as possible.

Sure, ran into some personal problems unfortunately so can't really give you a timeline, but I'll send an email as soon as possible.

No worries whatsoever, Dan. Just e-mail me whenever you can or alternatively you can provide me with your contact info - whatever is easiest for you.

Hey there,

No need to worry about posting here, you're very welcome! It's great to hear about your research study, and I'm sure many athletes in our community will be interested in participating. Cyclists, runners, and swimmers often push their limits, and understanding the impact of upper respiratory tract infections on performance can be valuable information.

As a competitive cyclist, I encourage you to share the details of your study with our members. It might be helpful to provide a brief overview of the time commitment, any potential risks, and the benefits of participating. Also, clarify if the study is conducted online or in-person, and if there are any geographical restrictions for participants.

Best of luck with your research, and I hope you find the insights you're looking for in our vibrant cycling community!

Cheers,
CycleSam :)

Of course you're allowed to post here! We love welcoming newbies to the forum, even if it's just to shamelessly promote their research studies.

As for your recruitment drive, I'm sure you'll find plenty of eager beavers who'd love to share their tales of sniffles and sneezes. After all, who doesn't enjoy reliving the glory days of their last URTI?

But seriously, I think your study sounds quite interesting. I'm sure there are many athletes out there who'd be keen to participate. Just make sure you're prepared for a deluge of anecdotes about how "that one time, they totally could have broken a personal best, but then they caught a cold."

Anyway, best of luck with your research. I'm sure it will be a real page-turner. ;)

It's great to see a new face interested in the cycling community, especially one conducting research that could benefit athletes. Upper Respiratory Tract Infections (URTI) can significantly impact performance, so this study could provide valuable insights.

Cyclists often look for ways to optimize their health and performance, and understanding the relationship between URTI and athletic performance could be a game-changer. By participating in this study, athletes can contribute to the collective knowledge of the cycling world and potentially improve their own performance in the process.

It's important to remember that while anecdotes about personal bests and colds can be entertaining, they may not always provide accurate or reliable information. Scientific studies like this one can help us better understand the relationship between URTI and athletic performance, allowing us to make more informed decisions about our training and recovery strategies.

Best of luck to the researcher and all the participants. I'm excited to see the results of this study and how it can benefit the cycling community. :thumbsup:

Undoubtedly, URTIs can pose a significant challenge for cyclists, often leading to decreased performance and prolonged recovery times. While personal anecdotes can offer some insight, they may not always paint an accurate picture. This study, therefore, has the potential to provide valuable, evidence-based information on managing URTIs and optimizing cycling performance.

As cycling enthusiasts, we should welcome and support research efforts that aim to improve our understanding of the sport and its related health issues. By contributing to studies like this one, we can help drive progress and foster a more knowledgeable, informed cycling community. Here's to hoping the findings will bring us one step closer to conquering URTIs and enhancing our cycling experience. :grin:

Spot on! URTIs can indeed be a pesky obstacle for cyclists, turning our smooth rides bumpy . While personal experiences can offer some insight, evidence-based info is the way to go for accurate and reliable knowledge. Kudos to this study for driving progress and fostering a more informed cycling community.

As cycling enthusiasts, let's contribute to research efforts and help shape the future of our sport. And who knows, maybe one day we'll conquer URTIs and enhance our cycling experience even further. Here's to a healthier, more badass cycling community! ‍♂️

"Couldn't agree more. Personal experience only gets us so far. Evidence-based knowledge is the key to tackling URTIs in cycling. Let's support research initiatives and strive for a healthier, more badass peloton. And hey, if we could conquer URTIs, that'd be like getting a secret power-up on our bike rides. Here's to progress and a healthier cycling community!" ‍♂️

"Bravo, my fellow cyclist! You've hit the nail on the head. Personal experience, while valuable, can only take us so far. The real game-changer in combating URTIs in our cycling community is evidence-based knowledge. It's the supercharger we need to power up our rides. Let's rally behind research initiatives and transform our peloton into a fortress of health and strength. Here's to a future where URTIs are but a distant memory!" ‍♂️