complete newbie.. very discouraging

DrPepper4Me

Aug 30, 2007
I've been lurking around these forums as I try to get myself in cycling. I borrowed a bike & have been riding it a little each day, but had to give it back.

I'm by no means "hardcore". I probably averaged 50 miles a week.. I just want something to do after work in the evenings and to get a little bit of exercise. I have no intentions of doing any triathlons or entering any races.

I simply want a bike that I can enjoy riding and isn't going to act like a piece of junk when shifting gears.. rubbing chain.. etc..

The prices on bikes are very discouraging. My budgest is about $800 including tax. I've already got a helmet & a couple jerseys.. so my $800 budget is just for the bike. I've been watching craigslist like a hawk, and thought I had finally found a good bike at a good price this morning. But then the guy sold it out from under me & I got screwed.

Even if I could afford more than $800, I don't think I'd let myself spend more than that. So waiting & saving more money isn't an option I'm considering. I have a wedding coming up, etc.. so the money can be better used for other things.

Can I get a decent new bike in my budget? Or am I pretty much looking at used bikes? Suggestions? :(

http://www.amazon.com/Cadillac-Elite-Road-RLE1-8-Frame/dp/B000F99ID6/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4/104-0292819-1907966?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1188502965&sr=8-4

I'm with ya on the cash flow. After ALOT of shopping & research (& getting upset over the price of bicycles) I took a chance on this. The components are fantastic (that of a $1600.00-$1800.00 bike) & you get a Carbon fiber Fork, seat-stays & seat post. This bike is on-par with my friends $1800.00 Trek 2200. I do not regret this purchase one bit. I LOVE this bike. Smooth, Fast & jumps with every stroke...honest. I had a wheel hub go bad in about 3 months (shimanos fault) & it was replaced in a day.

Originally I laughed at the bike over the name "Cadillac" but it truly is a deal you won't get anywhere. BTW, the pictures don't do the bike justice. The paint is top notch & looks even better in person (so to speak).

If your worried about the "cool" factor...well,...If it's "Cool" to spend twice as much for something because the letters on the downtube are different than call me a geek. I stopped letting peer pressure affect me years ago! :D

The bike that Lionfish has linked you to looks like a good deal for a biker on a budget. It appears to have all good entry level components and the frame has all the latest weight saving materials. One word of caution, get fitted before hand so that you can order the right size bike. Also be ready to drop another $20 or $30 on a stem if the one that they supply on the bike is not right for you. You are also going to need to buy cycling shoes since the pedals on this are clipless pedals. Down the road you might want to upgrade the saddle if the one on the bike is not to your liking.

how about you go to a bike shop, because this time of year (around here anyways) is discount season because the new model year are coming into the shops. I purchased a specialized allez triple last year for $524 which was down from $710. $800 will get you a bike that will be FINE for your amount of riding. I dont even get out as much as i would like, but id rather buy a brand name bike and have it last me years, as well as a warranty that might actually mean something (and a shop to back me up).

Plus, bike shops that want your business will treat you very well, and answer any question that you have. Look around, im sure youll find a great shop!

Best of luck, and glad to hear a new cyclist wants to join the sport!!! :D

DrPepper4Me said:
I've been lurking around these forums as I try to get myself in cycling. I borrowed a bike & have been riding it a little each day, but had to give it back.

I'm by no means "hardcore". I probably averaged 50 miles a week.. I just want something to do after work in the evenings and to get a little bit of exercise. I have no intentions of doing any triathlons or entering any races.

I simply want a bike that I can enjoy riding and isn't going to act like a piece of junk when shifting gears.. rubbing chain.. etc..

The prices on bikes are very discouraging. My budgest is about $800 including tax. I've already got a helmet & a couple jerseys.. so my $800 budget is just for the bike. I've been watching craigslist like a hawk, and thought I had finally found a good bike at a good price this morning. But then the guy sold it out from under me & I got screwed.

Even if I could afford more than $800, I don't think I'd let myself spend more than that. So waiting & saving more money isn't an option I'm considering. I have a wedding coming up, etc.. so the money can be better used for other things.

Can I get a decent new bike in my budget? Or am I pretty much looking at used bikes? Suggestions? :(
Have you gone to local shops looking yet?

Assuming you're talking about road bikes, you can easily find a very nice new bike from a well known company (e.g. trek, giant, specialized, etc.) at a local bike shop within your budget. It will have a very nice aluminum frame with carbon fork, and the wheels and componentry will be what I'd call "Sora" level, maybe "Tiagara". This is to say, perfectly functional, smooth shifting, just not super light weight and race grade. Certainly good for years of riding at 50 miles per week, and upgradable as you desire and can afford.

One example: I bought my daughter a brand new Giant OCR (can't remember if it's called a 1 or 3 - the lowest level). It has Sora components, some very decent, but not high grade wheels. It's a nice looking bike and functions perfectly. I think it cost about $600 - 650, locally.

If you're interested in a mountain bike or a hybrid type bike, you can easily get a perfectly functional bike for less than $400 at a local shop.

With your budget, I'd advise you to stay away from the Walmarts, etc. of the world, and buy a nice bike from a shop that can help you fit and adjust it. You can afford it at $800.

Just a thought, but I've noticed most people can afford what they decide is important to them.

For example, a martial-arts instructor friend of mine and some of his students just bought some staffs (I think they're called a "Jo"). I think each one of these staffs cost $200. They think the price is no big deal because their study of this particular "brand" of martial-arts is important to them and they place a high priority on that part of their lives. I think it's a rip-off and I would gladly sell them some fancy broom handles for the bargan price of $169.95. Heck, I've got some nice sticks in my backyard I'd sell to them for only $19.95!

Another, more broad example, is our focus on cars (at least in the U.S.). It seems like many, many of my friends have trouble scraping up money to even go to lunch once in a while, or go see a movie on a whim. Really. They're all waiting on the next payday. The one common-denominator I see is they sure have nice NEW cars to drive around in (usually gas-guzzling monster SUV's). A small drop in car (a 3-4 year old one instead of new) will buy you one serious bicycle (and pumps, jerseys, bottle cages, and even a bicycle touring vacation for that matter).

In my life I've decided that the cost of ANY bicycle looks pretty affordable, compared to the cost of a heart attack, stroke, or diabetes. Then again, I just turned 40 years old and probably have a different perspective on lifestyle priorities than a young fellow about to be married!

In any event, congrats on your upcoming wedding!

jeepguy32 said:
Just a thought, but I've noticed most people can afford what they decide is important to them.

For example, a martial-arts instructor friend of mine and some of his students just bought some staffs (I think they're called a "Jo"). I think each one of these staffs cost $200. They think the price is no big deal because their study of this particular "brand" of martial-arts is important to them and they place a high priority on that part of their lives. I think it's a rip-off and I would gladly sell them some fancy broom handles for the bargan price of $169.95. Heck, I've got some nice sticks in my backyard I'd sell to them for only $19.95!

Another, more broad example, is our focus on cars (at least in the U.S.). It seems like many, many of my friends have trouble scraping up money to even go to lunch once in a while, or go see a movie on a whim. Really. They're all waiting on the next payday. The one common-denominator I see is they sure have nice NEW cars to drive around in (usually gas-guzzling monster SUV's). A small drop in car (a 3-4 year old one instead of new) will buy you one serious bicycle (and pumps, jerseys, bottle cages, and even a bicycle touring vacation for that matter).

In my life I've decided that the cost of ANY bicycle looks pretty affordable, compared to the cost of a heart attack, stroke, or diabetes. Then again, I just turned 40 years old and probably have a different perspective on lifestyle priorities than a young fellow about to be married!

In any event, congrats on your upcoming wedding!
Jeep guy you are a young guy. I am 62 and do around 150 miles a week. But the way I look at it what do people spend on work out equipment that most of it sits in the corner after the first week or so. At least I can go some where on my wheel toys.A bike is only worth it if you ride it.

Wink

winkyb said:
Jeep guy you are a young guy. I am 62 and do around 150 miles a week. But the way I look at it what do people spend on work out equipment that most of it sits in the corner after the first week or so. At least I can go some where on my wheel toys.A bike is only worth it if you ride it.

Wink
Way to go, Wink! I've been out of cycling for about 10-15 years (depending on your definition of "into cycling"). I started up again this spring in mid April. Right now I've got my chubby-butt in the saddle only about 50/per week. I hope to be up to 150/week someday. As for now, when I'm gettin' tired at the end of a ride, I'll think of you doing 150's and see if I can find some extra energy somewhere!

jeepguy32 said:
Way to go, Wink! I've been out of cycling for about 10-15 years (depending on your definition of "into cycling"). I started up again this spring in mid April. Right now I've got my chubby-butt in the saddle only about 50/per week. I hope to be up to 150/week someday. As for now, when I'm gettin' tired at the end of a ride, I'll think of you doing 150's and see if I can find some extra energy somewhere!
i saved myself about 30 miles of driving today to go to a bike shop, of course i still had to drive to where i start from, but 30 miles less driving is good, plus its healthier to bike!

but honestly, i see all the trek and specialized road bikes (beginners bikes) for well under 800, shouldnt be a problem.

mongooseboy said:
i saved myself about 30 miles of driving today to go to a bike shop, of course i still had to drive to where i start from, but 30 miles less driving is good, plus its healthier to bike!

but honestly, i see all the trek and specialized road bikes (beginners bikes) for well under 800, shouldnt be a problem.
That is what I was thinking. I have a Specialized Expedition with 2000 + miles on it that I paid 310.00 dollars for. I just bought a Giant Revive DX that was 900.00 but have had it three weeks and have 450 + miles on it.Not sure it is the bike for every one but another toy for me. If I had a lot of hills I would say The Specialized would be a better choice. I am planing a one day 100 mile ride on the revive when it cools off here.
Wink

mongooseboy said:

That is what I was thinking. I have a Specialized Expedition with 2000 + miles on it that I paid 310.00 dollars for. I just bought a Giant Revive DX that was 900.00 but have had it three weeks and have 450 + miles on.Not sure it is the bike for every one but another toy for me. If I had a lot of hills I would say The Specialized would be a better choice. I am planing a one day 100 mile ride on the revive when it cools off here.
Wink

Keep an eye on ads in the paper as well. I picked up a 1-1/2 year old Fuji Roubaix Pro with 400 miles on it for $650. Even if you settle for something used, you're more than likely to have a few $$ left over for a full tune up, new chain, tires & tubes.

Seems to me you can get a decent bike for $800.00. Even a new one for that.
I like my Giant OCR3 I got for $600.00. It is an entery level bike, but the components are really decent.

Just get the Giant OCR 1 for $850 to $1000 new (varies by store). It's worth the upgraded components so you save by not upgrading anymore. They're around $600 to $720 used or new on ebay too.

And then you can put a rack and panniers on them to make it an excellent commuter / shopping bike!

I agree with Lionfish.... That is a really bang for your dollar. If you wanna some brand on your frame.... its another story...

JTE83 said:
Just get the Giant OCR 1 for $850 to $1000 new (varies by store). It's worth the upgraded components so you save by not upgrading anymore. They're around $600 to $720 used or new on ebay too.

And then you can put a rack and panniers on them to make it an excellent commuter / shopping bike!
Yes, the OCR is an excellent bike, the OCR2 is even worth a look. Specs may be a bit different in the US compared to Australia, but Giant a dropping the price all the time on the OCRs (actually most of their bikes). There isn't anything wrong with Tiagra, and even Sora has gone 9 speed now and looks a million times better than it used to - if you want a bike to ride for miles and that's reliable, the OCR is a great choice:p .

A few people at my club race on them and blow me way.

Another factor in buying a bicycle from your LBS is that it should be set up right, tuned properly from the start, and many shops will give free tune ups for a specified amount of time. One of my bikes gets free yearly tuneups forever because of the shop where I bought it. This is a very valuable service, especially if your a newbie, or would rather not do much maintenence yourself. Your budget is definitely going to buy a nice bike that will last you a long time. Sometimes bike shops also have year old models (I've even seen 2 year models) that they sell at a discount, but are still great rides, and come with the same service agreements as current models. Good luck, and when you decide, please post back with what you get.