UK and Europe · Public discussion

Completely, irredeemably OT

Started by Just Zis Guy · · Last activity · 38 posts · 1,887 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
17 April 2004
Last activity
21 April 2004
Original author
Just Zis Guy
Posts
38
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,887
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–38 of 38
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. davek said:

    Um... come to think of it, maybe Classic FM is the
    only station on the commercial multiplex that
    broadcasts in stereo.

    Perhaps that's why I have never noticed; apart from Classic
    FM I listen to: BBC Radio 3, BBC Radio 4, BBC 7. And no
    other stations.

    --
    Guy
    ===
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after
    posting. chapmancentral.co.ukchapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    Washington University

  2. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email hidden]>typed

    Quoted message said:

    davek wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Um... come to think of it, maybe Classic FM is the only
    station on the commercial multiplex that broadcasts in
    stereo.

    Quoted message said:

    Perhaps that's why I have never noticed; apart from
    Classic FM I listen to: BBC Radio 3, BBC Radio 4, BBC 7.
    And no other stations.

    You are me &ICMFP ;-)

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email hidden] Edgware.

  3. Helen Deborah Vecht said:

    "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email hidden]>typed

    Quoted message said:

    davek wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Um... come to think of it, maybe Classic FM is the only
    station on the commercial multiplex that broadcasts in
    stereo.

    Quoted message said:

    Perhaps that's why I have never noticed; apart from
    Classic FM I listen to: BBC Radio 3, BBC Radio 4, BBC 7.
    And no other stations.

    You are me &ICMFP ;-)

    And me, except that I don't listen to Classic FM, Radio
    3 or BBC 7.

    Colin
    --

  4. Reply to James Annan

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Those who write reviews in Hi-Fi mags can hear the
    difference between different alloys used for component
    connection cables, so they say. The=


    mind

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    boggles.


    =20
    So they say, but they find all sorts of risible excuses
    why a=20 double-blind test will prevent them from hearing
    these obvious difference=


    s.
    =20

    I'm prepared to believe in the possibility of the existence
    of a few=20 golden-eared individuals who can discern
    differences which the rest of=20 us can't; but I've never
    seen the point of letting them spec sound=20 equipment for
    the rest of us.

    Somewhere at work I have a print-out of a page from an
    online audio=20 catalogue, which offered a pair of XLR sound
    cables for over =A31000. =20 The same site was selling an
    IEC mains cable - a 13A plug to kettle- lead socket - for a
    couple of hundred, IIRC. I'm sure they're very=20 nice
    cables. Probably hand-polished with rhino horn, or
    something.

    --=20 Mark, UK. We hope to hear him swear, we love to
    hear him squeak, We like to see him biting fingers in his
    horny beak.

  5. On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 16:50:55 +0100, Mark McN
    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    Somewhere at work I have a print-out of a page from an
    online audio catalogue, which offered a pair of XLR sound
    cables for over £1000. The same site was selling an IEC
    mains cable - a 13A plug to kettle- lead socket - for a
    couple of hundred, IIRC. I'm sure they're very nice cables.
    Probably hand-polished with rhino horn, or something.

    I think the cables are a sideline; their main business is
    proving old saws (in this case "a fool and his money are
    soon parted"😉.

    --
    Guy
    ===
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after
    posting. chapmancentral.co.ukchapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    Washington University

  6. Reply to Just zis Guy, you know?

    I'm ashamed to say I didn't do them justice: for the truly
    discerning,=20 audiophileclub.co.ukaudiophileclub.co.uk will knock up
    a *proper* kettle lead=20 for a bargain-basement =A31,375.00

    Ah, well, I suppose they'd giggle at the thought of spending
    a couple=20 of grand on a pushbike...

    --=20 Mark, UK. We hope to hear him swear, we love to
    hear him squeak, We like to see him biting fingers in his
    horny beak.

  7. Mark McN said:


    I'm prepared to believe in the possibility of the
    existence of a few golden-eared individuals who can
    discern differences which the rest of us can't;

    So am I, but I get sceptical when high-tech meaurements can
    only detect the most insignificant differences which are way
    below the threshold of reasonable human ability (and swamped
    by other factors), and the "golden ears" cannot pass a blind
    test. The analogy with expensive bicycles is pretty bogus
    IMO, even if the rider cannot "feel" a lighter bike, he will
    still go faster up hills! But perhaps direction arrows on
    road tyres are analogous to directional cables.

    James
    --
    If I have seen further than others, it is by treading on the
    toes of giants. ne.jphome

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,=20
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Reply to Just zis Guy, you know?
    =20
    I'm ashamed to say I didn't do them justice: for the truly
    discerning,=20 audiophileclub.co.ukaudiophileclub.co.uk will knock
    up a *proper* kettle lead=20 for a bargain-basement
    =A31,375.00
    =20
    Ah, well, I suppose they'd giggle at the thought of
    spending a couple=20 of grand on a pushbike...
    =20 20


    To extend the anaogu, you would need to spend =A31k plus on
    peddals and=20 cranks, rather than a whole bike!

    I spent =A31k5 on a hifi once. That was a complete set up
    though. Was a=20 total waste of money though, as Sarah
    didn't like the look of the=20 speakers, so they are
    langushing in the attic. i've just spent a bit more than
    that on a bicycle, but it fdoesn't=20 matter if Sarah
    doesn't like the look as I don't want to use it in the=20
    sitting room 🙂

    --=20 .paul

    If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving is probably not
    the sport for you.

  9. "Mark McN"
    <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I'm prepared to believe in the possibility of the
    existence of a few golden-eared individuals who can
    discern differences which the rest of us can't; but I've
    never seen the point of letting them spec sound equipment
    for the rest of us.

    Somewhere at work I have a print-out of a page from an
    online audio catalogue, which offered a pair of XLR sound
    cables for over £1000. The same site was selling an IEC
    mains cable - a 13A plug to kettle- lead socket - for a
    couple of hundred, IIRC. I'm sure they're very nice
    cables. Probably hand-polished with rhino horn, or
    something.

    I once worked for a firm who had a copy of the same
    catalogue. A friend of mine who is a hi-fi enthusiast
    reckons that the mains cable is probably gold connectors,
    and braided & shielded. That way it can "reduce the amount
    of interference on the mains".

    Still, what else are the rich kids gonna do with their
    pennies?

    Jon

  10. Reply to Jon Senior

    Quoted message said:

    A friend of mine who is a hi-fi enthusiast reckons that
    the mains cable is probably gold connectors, and braided &
    shielded. That way it can "reduce the amount of
    interference on the mains".

    According to the website, the local peasants have travelled
    even further into the mountains to bring you only the finest
    hand-woven - sorry, *sorry*, wrong page. No, this one's
    apparently silver for the
    live/neutral, with boring old copper for earth. It *has* got
    two separate shields, though, and the silver is
    99.9997% pure; I suppose the guys who make mains cables
    from cheapskate 99.9995% silver must be sick as dogs in
    comparison.

    --
    Mark, UK. We hope to hear him swear, we love to hear him
    squeak, We like to see him biting fingers in his horny beak.

  11. "Simon Mason" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email hidden]>
    wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    So now on the rare occasions when I drive I can enjoy
    leather upholstered, climate controlled luxury,
    electrically adjustable seat, traction control, and of
    course cruise control, which makes it even easier to
    keep within the speed limit :-)

    Oh no - you of all people in a MDG ;-) Would the last one
    not assimilated by the Borg please turn the light off?

    has anyone else seen that bizarre story supposedly true
    about 32 Swedes who walked independently into their local
    Volvo dealer and ordered an s40 on the same day? (normally
    that is a year's trade for the dealer)

  12. "MartinM" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    has anyone else seen that bizarre story supposedly true
    about 32 Swedes who walked independently into their local
    Volvo dealer and ordered an s40 on the same day? (normally
    that is a year's trade for the dealer)

    The Volvo s40 advert you mean?

    Jon

    ---
    Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-
    virus system (grisoft.comgrisoft.com). Version: 6.0.661 /
    Virus Database: 424 - Release Date: 19/04/2004

  13. Peter B said:

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email hidden]>
    wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    No DAB though, until I fit the stereo out of the old car.

    How do you find DAB Guy? The impression I've been given is
    that with the exception of R3 the quality is inferior to
    FM as a result of trying to squeeze as much as poss from
    the available bandwidth, true or exaggerated?

    The real problem with DAB, to my mind, is that one can no
    longer rely on the Greenwich time signal. Whereas with
    analogue tranmission WYHIWYG, with DAB everything is delayed
    by as much as two seconds [1] while the receiver carefully
    reassembles the deliberately time-separated packets, making
    the accuracy of the timing of the sixth pip totally
    pointless ...

    So don't set your Omega by the Greenwich time signal on DAB!

    Philip Taylor
    --------
    [1] news.bbc.co.uk3462079.stm

  14. Philip TAYLOR PC87S/O-XP said:

    The real problem with DAB, to my mind, is that one can no
    longer rely on the Greenwich time signal.

    I set my watch by my clock which synchronises with Rugby or
    by my PC clock which synchronises with the US Naval
    Observatory's time servers.

    --
    Guy
    ===
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after
    posting. chapmancentral.co.ukchapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    Washington University

  15. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email hidden]>typed

    Quoted message said:

    Philip TAYLOR [PC87S/O-XP] wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The real problem with DAB, to my mind, is that one can
    no longer rely on the Greenwich time signal.

    Quoted message said:

    I set my watch by my clock which synchronises with Rugby
    or by my PC clock which synchronises with the US Naval
    Observatory's time servers.

    You *really* are me, aren't you? My clocks synchronise with
    Rugby (though some do with Frankfurt - that's what you get
    when you shop at Tchibo)

    A problem with DAB is that it's out of synch with the
    numerous, simple, serviceable FM radios around the house
    (at least one in every room, all tuned to Radio 4) arranged
    so I have no interruptions while I wander round the house
    doing chores.

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email hidden] Edgware.

  16. davek said:
    Quoted message said:

    Impossible - it's a Volvo ;-)

    rolf

    "Non Humber sed Volvo."

    (Is Robert Robinson still alive?)

  17. "Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "MartinM" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    has anyone else seen that bizarre story supposedly true
    about 32 Swedes who walked independently into their
    local Volvo dealer and ordered an s40 on the same day?
    (normally that is a year's trade for the dealer)

    The Volvo s40 advert you mean?

    err yes, feel a bit of a plonker here; it was a free DVD
    in the cinema, watched it and then found out today it
    was a spoof!

  18. In "]news:[email hidden],
    Helen Deborah Vecht <[email hidden]> typed:

    Quoted message said:

    "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email hidden]>typed

    Quoted message said:

    davek wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Um... come to think of it, maybe Classic FM is the only
    station on the commercial multiplex that broadcasts in
    stereo.

    Quoted message said:

    Perhaps that's why I have never noticed; apart from
    Classic FM I listen to: BBC Radio 3, BBC Radio 4, BBC 7.
    And no other stations.

    You are me &ICMFP ;-)

    Write yourself a cheque, then 🙂

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.