Component Weights

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Alan E, Mar 16, 2004.

  1. Alan E

    Alan E Guest

    Is there a database available that provides wieghts of bike
    components. When I look at various catalogs, there are often
    discrepencies from one source to another. Just as an
    example, for a Reynold Ouzo Pro 1 1/8 " fork, Excel has the
    weight as 406 gm, Colorado Cyclist has it at 425 gm, and
    Performance has it at 420. Prices, of course, are identical.
    Discrepencies abound for other components also.

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Cipher

    Cipher New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2002
    Try this site:

    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings.php

  3. Kinky Cowboy

    Kinky Cowboy Guest

    On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 07:47:10 -0500, "Alan E" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Is there a database available that provides wieghts of bike
    >components. When I look at various catalogs, there are
    >often discrepencies from one source to another. Just as an
    >example, for a Reynold Ouzo Pro 1 1/8 " fork, Excel has the
    >weight as 406 gm, Colorado Cyclist has it at 425 gm, and
    >Performance has it at 420. Prices, of course, are
    >identical. Discrepencies abound for other components also.
    >
    >Thanks

    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/ Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts Your
    milage may vary

  4. "Alan E" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Is there a database available that provides wieghts of
    > bike components. When I look at various catalogs, there
    > are often discrepencies from one source to another. Just
    > as an example, for a Reynold Ouzo Pro 1 1/8 " fork, Excel
    > has the weight as 406 gm, Colorado Cyclist has it at 425
    > gm, and Performance has it at 420. Prices, of course, are
    > identical. Discrepencies abound for other components also.
    >
    > Thanks

    Mr. Damon Rinard's database of course. Now located at Mr.
    Sheldon Brown's website.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/weights.htm

  5. Just remember this formula: A gram of the bike is worth five
    dollars out of your wallet (6 grams total).

    "May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear
    for the hills!"

    Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    >Is there a database available that provides wieghts of bike
    >components. When I look at various catalogs, there are
    >often discrepencies from one source to another. Just as an
    >example, for a Reynold Ouzo Pro 1 1/8 " fork, Excel has the
    >weight as 406 gm, Colorado Cyclist has it at 425 gm, and
    >Performance has it at 420. Prices, of course, are
    >identical. Discrepencies abound for other components also.

    The excel catalog I just got says the listed weights are
    actual wieghts they measured using a postal scale. In the
    case of forks. the weights are with full length steerers.
    Assuming they are telling the truth, excel weights are
    probably more accurate. The other guys are just listing
    manufacturer weights.
    ------------
    Alex

  7. tspinner

    tspinner New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2003
    Sorry Alex, but Weight Weenies has forum members weigh and list weights of components

  8. Kinky Cowboy

    Kinky Cowboy Guest

    On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 19:54:35 -0500 (EST), [email protected]
    (Chris Zacho "The Wheelman") wrote:

    >Just remember this formula: A gram of the bike is worth
    >five dollars out of your wallet (6 grams total).
    >
    >- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    >
    >"May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear
    >for the hills!"
    >
    >Chris Zacho ~ "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"
    >
    >Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

    Here's my weightsaving tip of the day; Swatch Irony (my
    everyday watch) 60g, $15 plastic watch from supermarket 30g.

    Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts Your
    milage may vary

  9. In article <[email protected]>, usenet-
    [email protected] says...
    >Alex Rodriguez wrote:
    > > The other guys are just listing manufacturer weights.
    > > Alex

    >Sorry Alex, but Weight Weenies has forum members weigh and
    >list weights of components

    'other guys' was referring to the other catalogs, not weight
    weenies. I'm sure they list weights out to three digits past
    the decimal.
    Alex