Conclusions: Electra Townie 21 vs. Trek Pure Sport

jim

Guest
After doing research on various forums...given the virtually identical
price of the two units ($30 MSRP price difference), it has become
clear that if both units are equally comfortable for the rider, that
the Trek Pure Sport has to be the better choice based upon superior
components and a suspension front.
I post this to assist any others facing the same choice in a 'flat
foot on the ground forward crank geometry (Electra Townie's
'trademark' innovation) bike..

On Sep 9, 1:20 pm, jim <[email protected]> wrote:
> After doing research on various forums...given the virtually identical
> price of the two units ($30 MSRP price difference), it has become
> clear that if both units are equally comfortable for the rider, that
> the Trek Pure Sport has to be the better choice based upon superior
> components and a suspension front.

Suspension front serves mainly to weight down the bike on a path
bicycle. Don't like the name silkscreened onto the rear mech? Get a
new one, they're dirt cheap. I just picked up a new Deore for $15, as
good as anybody pootlin' around could ever need. Besides, the Trek
factory is powered with the flesh of babies.

In article <[email protected]>,
jim <[email protected]> wrote:

> After doing research on various forums...given the virtually identical
> price of the two units ($30 MSRP price difference), it has become
> clear that if both units are equally comfortable for the rider, that
> the Trek Pure Sport has to be the better choice based upon superior
> components and a suspension front.
> I post this to assist any others facing the same choice in a 'flat
> foot on the ground forward crank geometry (Electra Townie's
> 'trademark' innovation) bike..

Maybe there are changes in the 08 line, but my wife's 07 Townie 21 has a
suspension fork.

--Mike

Mike Schway | [Picture your favorite quote here]
[email protected] |

On 2007-09-09, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> Suspension front serves mainly to weight down the bike on a path
> bicycle. Don't like the name silkscreened onto the rear mech? Get a
> new one, they're dirt cheap. I just picked up a new Deore for $15, as
> good as anybody pootlin' around could ever need. Besides, the Trek
> factory is powered with the flesh of babies.

Hey, at least it's a renewable resource. <g,d&r>

On Sep 9, 3:19 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sep 9, 1:20 pm, jim <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > After doing research on various forums...given the virtually identical
> > price of the two units ($30 MSRP price difference), it has become
> > clear that if both units are equally comfortable for the rider, that
> > the Trek Pure Sport has to be the better choice based upon superior
> > components and a suspension front.

> Suspension front serves mainly to weight down the bike on a path
> bicycle. Don't like the name silkscreened onto the rear mech? Get a
> new one, they're dirt cheap. I just picked up a new Deore for $15, as
> good as anybody pootlin' around could ever need. Besides, the Trek
> factory is powered with the flesh of babies.

Really? I thought it ran on ******** and hype.

My bad, I was thinking of **** Cheney's heated pool.

On Sep 9, 5:12 pm, Steve Gravrock <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 2007-09-09, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Suspension front serves mainly to weight down the bike on a path
> > bicycle. Don't like the name silkscreened onto the rear mech? Get a
> > new one, they're dirt cheap. I just picked up a new Deore for $15, as
> > good as anybody pootlin' around could ever need. Besides, the Trek
> > factory is powered with the flesh of babies.

> Hey, at least it's a renewable resource. <g,d&r>

Here at Swift Fuel, we're as committed to the environment and family
planning as you are!

>> > After doing research on various forums...given the virtually identical
>> > price of the two units ($30 MSRP price difference), it has become
>> > clear that if both units are equally comfortable for the rider, that
>> > the Trek Pure Sport has to be the better choice based upon superior
>> > components and a suspension front.

>> Suspension front serves mainly to weight down the bike on a path
>> bicycle. Don't like the name silkscreened onto the rear mech? Get a
>> new one, they're dirt cheap. I just picked up a new Deore for $15, as
>> good as anybody pootlin' around could ever need. Besides, the Trek
>> factory is powered with the flesh of babies.

> Really? I thought it ran on ******** and hype.

Nope. That was considered, but there's a shortage of fuel lately. Apparently
much of the world supply is being used on rbr.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

On Sep 9, 9:10 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sep 9, 9:06 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Suspension front serves mainly to weight down the bike on a path
> > > bicycle. Don't like the name silkscreened onto the rear mech? Get a
> > > new one, they're dirt cheap. I just picked up a new Deore for $15, as
> > > good as anybody pootlin' around could ever need. Besides, the Trek
> > > factory is powered with the flesh of babies.

> > Really? I thought it ran on ******** and hype.

> My bad, I was thinking of **** Cheney's heated pool.

**** Cheney on a Madone......a marriage made in {insert reality of
your choice}

On Sep 9, 9:27 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Suspension front serves mainly to weight down the bike on a path
> >> bicycle. Don't like the name silkscreened onto the rear mech? Get a
> >> new one, they're dirt cheap. I just picked up a new Deore for $15, as
> >> good as anybody pootlin' around could ever need. Besides, the Trek
> >> factory is powered with the flesh of babies.

> > Really? I thought it ran on ******** and hype.

> Nope. That was considered, but there's a shortage of fuel lately.

Cannondale, Specialized and Trek used up the world supply in the past
coupla years????

>> > Really? I thought it ran on ******** and hype.

>> Nope. That was considered, but there's a shortage of fuel lately.

> Cannondale, Specialized and Trek used up the world supply in the past
> coupla years???

Cute. I'm sure it was unintentional that you snipped out the relevant (to
rbr) part of my reply.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

news:[email protected]...

On Sep 9, 10:17 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Nope. That was considered, but there's a shortage of fuel lately.

> > Cannondale, Specialized and Trek used up the world supply in the past
> > coupla years???

> Cute. I'm sure it was unintentional that you snipped out the relevant (to
> rbr) part of my reply.

It might have been relevant to rbr, but you only posted it to rbm,
Mike, so it went into the void.

"Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sep 9, 3:19 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Sep 9, 1:20 pm, jim <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > After doing research on various forums...given the virtually identical
>> > price of the two units ($30 MSRP price difference), it has become
>> > clear that if both units are equally comfortable for the rider, that
>> > the Trek Pure Sport has to be the better choice based upon superior
>> > components and a suspension front.

>> Suspension front serves mainly to weight down the bike on a path
>> bicycle. Don't like the name silkscreened onto the rear mech? Get a
>> new one, they're dirt cheap. I just picked up a new Deore for $15, as
>> good as anybody pootlin' around could ever need. Besides, the Trek
>> factory is powered with the flesh of babies.

> Really? I thought it ran on ******** and hype.

I don't understand the attitude. As a bicycle devotee, wouldn't your
disdain be better directed at organizations that make it harder to bike
instead of organizations that promote biking?

On Sep 10, 8:44 am, "Frank Drackman" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...

> >> Suspension front serves mainly to weight down the bike on a path
> >> bicycle. Don't like the name silkscreened onto the rear mech? Get a
> >> new one, they're dirt cheap. I just picked up a new Deore for $15, as
> >> good as anybody pootlin' around could ever need. Besides, the Trek
> >> factory is powered with the flesh of babies.

> > Really? I thought it ran on ******** and hype.

> I don't understand the attitude. As a bicycle devotee, wouldn't your
> disdain be better directed at organizations that make it harder to bike
> instead of organizations that promote biking?

Which "organization that promotes biking" are you referring to?

"Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sep 10, 8:44 am, "Frank Drackman" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > Really? I thought it ran on ******** and hype.

>> I don't understand the attitude. As a bicycle devotee, wouldn't your
>> disdain be better directed at organizations that make it harder to bike
>> instead of organizations that promote biking?

> Which "organization that promotes biking" are you referring to?

Trek

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 11:20:29 -0700, jim <[email protected]> wrote:

>After doing research on various forums...given the virtually identical
>price of the two units ($30 MSRP price difference), it has become
>clear that if both units are equally comfortable for the rider, that

You obviously missed the #1 piece of advice - test ride them!

On Sep 10, 10:58 pm, "Frank Drackman" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > On Sep 10, 8:44 am, "Frank Drackman" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> "Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >>news:[email protected]...

> >> I don't understand the attitude. As a bicycle devotee, wouldn't your
> >> disdain be better directed at organizations that make it harder to bike
> >> instead of organizations that promote biking?

> > Which "organization that promotes biking" are you referring to?

> Trek-

This is a joke, isn't it?

"Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sep 10, 10:58 pm, "Frank Drackman" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > Which "organization that promotes biking" are you referring to?

>> Trek-

> This is a joke, isn't it?

Not on my part.

On Sep 11, 8:46 am, "Frank Drackman" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > On Sep 10, 10:58 pm, "Frank Drackman" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> "Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >>news:[email protected]...

> >> Trek-

> > This is a joke, isn't it?

> Not on my part.

Trek "promotes biking" to serve their narrow, commercial interests in
the same way Anheuser-Busch promotes "safe drinking": cynically. Any
company that positions something like the Portland as a commuter has
zero credibility in the realm of bicycles-as-transportation.