Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea?

On 5 Aug 2003 05:47:24 -0700, mark freedman <[email protected]> wrote:
> touring bike for your recreational rides, but use a clunker for the 10Km ride to and from school.
> Anything valuable will tempt thieves.
>
> Unless you live in an unspoiled Eden.

Or, if you work at OneBeacon Insurance in Foxboro, MA, USA.

I had to go to their office today, and they've got: -- A nice revolving door into the lobby; -- A
couple security guys in the lobby, one of which sits behind a desk looking towards the front; --
Security monitors with cameras everywhere; -- A nice, quiet location in an industrial park, but not
visible from the street or neighboring buildings;

and most importantly -- A bike stand under a roof just outside the front door in full view of the
security guy without even having to turn his head.

Cool! I ought to get a job in a place like that.

--
Rick Onanian

Well, there's no use me spending all my money on a new road bike if I'm going to be so paranoid as
to leave it home all the time when I have to go somewhere...

Mike http://mikebeauchamp.com

news:[email protected]...

"Mike Beauchamp" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Hey all, I'm considering purchasing a new bicycle (Maybe $800 CDN total) to replace my nearly 8
> year old Mongoose IBOC Pro mountain bike. I used to use it mainy for offroad but a knee injury
> stopped that, and in the past few years I've used it purely for commuting (10K's to school and
> back, 30-40K rides on weekends, stuff like that).
>
> I'm just wondering if purchasing a road bike would be more appropriate than a mountain bike. I
> most certainly don't want to be one of those kids riding on the side of the road with a fully
> suspended downhill mountain bike with the seat all the way down bouncing up and down on each
> pedal stroke.
>
> I want something that can use my energy as efficiently as possible, and get me going as fast as
> possible. Like many commuters here I'm sure, it's definately more fun going nearly the speed of
> the cars instead of having them wizz past you. Is a road bike as fast as I think it is?
>
> In the past few years, I've added slicks to my mountain bike, etc. All in the name of a smoother
> and more efficient ride on pavement.
>
> Here's my concern. Obviously a road bike is going to be a more harsh ride, with the small tires
> and the high air pressure, etc. Are small bumps in the road going to be as bad as I think they
> are? Is that why I don't see too many people riding around the streets on nice road bikes?
>
> I'm going to go try a few road bikes out tomorrow, mainly for fun.. but I'm wondering what people
> think in here. Should I stick with a mountain bike? Another reason for wanting to get a road bike
> is that I can convert my mountain bike back to offroad and have two bicycles for whatever type of
> riding I want to do.
>
> Mike http://mikebeauchamp.com

One thing I can't believe no one has mentioned yet is that road handlebars are considerably safer
than MTB handlebars. Since they are narrower, you are *way* less likely to be clipped by a car while
riding on a road with little to no shoulder.

- Boyd S.

Mike Beauchamp wrote:

> Well, there's no use me spending all my money on a new road bike if I'm going to be so paranoid as
> to leave it home all the time when I have to go somewhere...

I got a nice Nishiki road bike (say 1980?) for $30 US. The poor old girl could stand a paint job,
but for now it rides very nice. It is a touring bike with 15 gears; a lot of fun.

I got a 1990 Fuji for $41 US on ebay, but had to pay $30 for shipping. It is a real hoot to ride. I
had had trouble with the darn tires, but I have that sorted out. It looks like a couple of years old
--- not 13.

So, I am saying you need not just ride a beater in town. Get an older bike that you really like.
SURE, someday it will be stolen, but they all are if you live in the USA.

--
Regards, Joe

Mike Beauchamp wrote:

> Hey all, I'm considering purchasing a new bicycle (Maybe $800 CDN total) to replace my nearly 8
> year old Mongoose IBOC Pro mountain bike. I used to use it mainy for offroad but a knee injury
> stopped that, and in the past few years I've used it purely for commuting (10K's to school and
> back, 30-40K rides on weekends, stuff like that).
>
> I'm just wondering if purchasing a road bike would be more appropriate than a mountain bike. I
> most certainly don't want to be one of those kids riding on the side of the road with a fully
> suspended downhill mountain bike with the seat all the way down bouncing up and down on each
> pedal stroke.
>
> I want something that can use my energy as efficiently as possible, and get me going as fast as
> possible. Like many commuters here I'm sure, it's definately more fun going nearly the speed of
> the cars instead of having them wizz past you. Is a road bike as fast as I think it is?

Probably not; I find the difference in speed between my touring bike and my "beater bike", a MTB
with slick tires, to be fairly small, especially in the city. There is a difference though,
especially at higher speeds or in headwinds.

> Here's my concern. Obviously a road bike is going to be a more harsh ride, with the small
> tires and the high air pressure, etc. Are small bumps in the road going to be as bad as I
> think they are?

I've never found it to be an issue on paved roads, except for some "chip and seal" country roads.

> Is that why I don't see too many people riding around the streets on nice road bikes?

That's more to do with marketing and consumer misconceptions, in my opinion.

> I'm going to go try a few road bikes out tomorrow, mainly for fun.. but I'm wondering what people
> think in here. Should I stick with a mountain bike? Another reason for wanting to get a road bike
> is that I can convert my mountain bike back to offroad and have two bicycles for whatever type of
> riding I want to do.

If you're like me, you'll find that road bikes are much more enjoyable on roads than MTBs,
especially if you start going longer distances, where the added hand positions of the drop bars can
make a big difference to comfort.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Seeing is deceiving. It's eating that's believing.
-- James Thurber

[email protected] (mark freedman) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Mike Beauchamp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>

> > I'm considering purchasing a new bicycle (Maybe $800 CDN total) to replace
>

> > used it purely for commuting (10K's to school and back, 30-40K rides on weekends, stuff like
> > that).
> >
> As I pointed out in Email, theft is an issue when a bike is locked up for extended lengths of
> time. By all means, buy a road bike or touring bike for your recreational rides, but use a
> clunker for the 10Km ride to and from school. Anything valuable will tempt thieves.
>
> Unless you live in an unspoiled Eden.

Lock your bike *really* well regardless of whether it is a clunker or an expensive bike or what it
looks like. Bike thieves are evil and often amateur thieves steal things that aren't valuable. I had
a crappy mountain bike that someone tried to steal by banging it against the porch it was locked to
(denting the frame) - someone scared them off. Later same crappy bike was locked to a different
porch (the frame only) Someone actually bothered to unbolt (it was not quick release) and steal the
front wheel - which after being stored outside in the snow for a while was very rusty.

mark freedman wrote:

> "Mike Beauchamp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>

>> I'm considering purchasing a new bicycle (Maybe $800 CDN total) to replace
>

>> used it purely for commuting (10K's to school and back, 30-40K rides on weekends, stuff
>> like that).
>>
> As I pointed out in Email, theft is an issue when a bike is locked up for extended lengths of
> time. By all means, buy a road bike or touring bike for your recreational rides, but use a clunker
> for the 10Km ride to and from school. Anything valuable will tempt thieves.
>
> Unless you live in an unspoiled Eden.

. . . or unless you have the luxury of being able to take it inside with you.

You can get used clunker road bikes as well, of course, which may be even less of a target to
thieves than mountain bikes.

--

Peter Cole wrote:

> At typical speeds, the efficiency of a road bike comes from aerodynamics. You can get a similar
> position on any MTB, but the flat bar means you'll have to stay in it. Road bikes are
> significantly lighter, which helps a little in hilly country. The real problem with MTBs is that
> they're geared all wrong for road riding.

Most road bikes are geared too high for their riders. If the professional racers who can have an
average power output of 400 watts use nothing higher than a 53/11 top gear, then riders of lesser
ability will have no practical use for such high gears. Many would benefit from lower climbing
gears, but that would not be macho - they could no longer say, "I climbed such and such with a
39/22 gear".

My suggestion would be to find a nice old steel bike with 130mm rear spacing and get some 8 or 9 spd
STI/Ergo going.

It can be cheaper than you think. Try eBay or your LBS.

"Lewdvig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Its faster and the roads are smoother than they look - at least they are here in Calgary.
>
> "Mike Beauchamp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hey all, I'm considering purchasing a new bicycle (Maybe $800 CDN total) to
replace
> > my nearly 8 year old Mongoose IBOC Pro mountain bike. I used to use it
> mainy
> > for offroad but a knee injury stopped that, and in the past few years
I've
> > used it purely for commuting (10K's to school and back, 30-40K rides on weekends, stuff like
> > that).
> >
> > I'm just wondering if purchasing a road bike would be more appropriate
> than
> > a mountain bike. I most certainly don't want to be one of those kids
> riding
> > on the side of the road with a fully suspended downhill mountain bike
with
> > the seat all the way down bouncing up and down on each pedal stroke.
> >
> > I want something that can use my energy as efficiently as possible, and
> get
> > me going as fast as possible. Like many commuters here I'm sure, it's definately more fun going
> > nearly the speed of the cars instead of having them wizz past you. Is a road bike as fast as I
> > think it is?
> >
> > In the past few years, I've added slicks to my mountain bike, etc. All
in
> > the name of a smoother and more efficient ride on pavement.
> >
> > Here's my concern. Obviously a road bike is going to be a more harsh
ride,
> > with the small tires and the high air pressure, etc. Are small bumps in
> the
> > road going to be as bad as I think they are? Is that why I don't see too many people riding
> > around the streets on nice road bikes?
> >
> > I'm going to go try a few road bikes out tomorrow, mainly for fun.. but
> I'm
> > wondering what people think in here. Should I stick with a mountain
bike?
> > Another reason for wanting to get a road bike is that I can convert my mountain bike back to
> > offroad and have two bicycles for whatever type of riding I want to do.
> >
> > Mike http://mikebeauchamp.com

"Mike Beauchamp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Well, there's no use me spending all my money on a new road bike if I'm going to be so paranoid as
> to leave it home all the time when I have to go somewhere...
>
> Mike http://mikebeauchamp.com

then it sounds like building yourself a good bike that doesn't *look* good should work out. plus,
since youll expect to pay far less, you can feel good about upgrading a few bits and pieces. just
nothing shiny ;)

a beater doesnt have to feel like a beater. in fact, 'beater' is a misleading term. ill call my
beaters 'city bikes' from now on. great bikes. they just dont look too tempting, and you can lock
them to a streetsign without fretting about he paint job.

dont keep cruising on your mtb if you feel the need for speed. buy yourslef an old used bike your
size, replace the tires, put some nice brakepads on, all set! insta-citybike.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (ant) writes:

> a beater doesnt have to feel like a beater. in fact, 'beater' is a misleading term.

I hear ya.

A neglected bike is a beater at the moment we acquire it, but once it's been fixed up, I don't see
the point in insulting one's own handiwork by continuing to call it a 'beater'.

> ill call my beaters 'city bikes' from now on.

I like that. 'Runabout' might be nice, too. Right now my current main bike is an AFW (anti Fabrizio
weapon). It's armed with a milk crate, horn, handlebar mirror -- the whole fredly gamut.

If I didn't have so much work to do these days, I'd go park it out in front of the local VD clinic
(if it's still around), just to further erode the "image" of cyclists that Fabrizio is so
desparately trying to establish. Ain't I a stinker? :)

cheers, Tom