Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 01:10:22 GMT, "Pete" <[email protected]> may have said:

>
>"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> Why are road bikes so much more expensive? More precision machining and workmanship, and exotic
>> materials required?
>
>Image.

Yes, but it's actually *fashionable* image that's driving the price issue.

In the early '70s, when road bikes were All the Rage, and the mtb wasn't even a gleam in a
marketer's eye, cheap road-pattern bikes were plentiful...and just as crummy as the Mall-Wart mtbs
that are being pumped out today. Now, however, the mtb is fashionable and the road bike is out of
favor, so the cheap-bike makers are concentrating on the mtb, and inexpensive road bikes are
correspondingly scarce. In the late '60s and early '70s, *good* road bikes were still pricier than
the mass-market versions, just as good mtbs are significantly higher by comparison to a Mongoose
today. The level differentiation wasn't as large in those days for a variety of reasons; there
weren't as many cutting-edge tech improvements on the market, there wasn't as much competition for
the lower-end market, and there weren't as many sweatshop manufacturers in the game at the low end.
(But I'll admit that the snob factor probably plays a part in some of the road bikes, owing largely
to the existence of high-profile events like the TdF and its more colorful participants.)

Frankly, I think that there's an undermarketed design halfway point (in the form of the hybrids)
that would please more people in the long run, but until that's a fashionable product, it won't get
much attention from the buying public. More people buy image than reality, and right now the image
the American public wants is the bike equivalent of the 4WD SUV, not an analog of a Ferrari. And, to
be honest, I think more people among the general public are likely to be *happy* with an mtb than a
road bike even after they've had it a while, so I don't really have a problem with this.

BTW, I will note that when I was downtown yesterday, there were three bike messengers dropping stuff
off at the post office. All three were on mtbs. I asked one of them if he'd tried riding a road bike
on the job; he said he'd started on one, but had swapped because the mtb was a better fit for the
short dashes, potholes, curbs, and his back. The fact that some of the people who ride for a living
tend to favor the mtb may be adding to the public's perception of that design as being not just
appropriate for everyday use, but desireable.

--
My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail. Yes, I have a killfile. If I
don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

In article <[email protected]>, Wayne Pein <[email protected]> writes:

> Counterintuitively, if you move further out into the lane than at first feels comfortable,
> overtaking motorists are induced into being more cautious when passing. They tend to slow down and
> move over.

I guess when drivers /have/ to move over somewhat, they figure "in for a dime, in for a dollar", and
are the more willing to move over even more. OTOH, if they see an opening right in front of them,
they might be more likely to try to just squeeze through it.

> Your lateral position is critical in how you expect motorists to overtake.

That has been my experience, too. If mere width was much of a concern, all kinds of trikes,
pedicabs, bike trailers, cargo-carrying "work bikes" and other stuff would be getting clipped all
over the map.

As you say, riding further (deeper?) into the lane makes a huge positive difference, as compared to
the closer passes one experiences while cringing in the gutter.

cheers, Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
[point] bc [point] ca

I tend to agree with Buck. To ride in town I prefer a hybrid or whatever it is called with 700x35
tires and a straight bar. When I go downtown with my road bike I don't feel too comfortable in the
traffic. If you have to ride any distance on unpaved roads don't get a road bike. I also favor my
hybrid because it has lights (half of the year I commute by night), fenders (it may rain), and rack
(I do sweat much more if I carry my bag on my back). Overall it certainly costs weight, but I feel
it is worth it. And you will still have a better efficiency than with a mountain bike. Can't give
you a recommendation for a model as I don't know what is on the US market...

Jacques

Paul Bielec wrote:

> I own a small size SUV and a MTB. The SUV allows me to transport up to 3 bikes inside without the
> need of rack. I never felt comfortable on a road bike. Even when I ride on a bike path, I prefer a
> MTB because I prefer its riding position. Since keeping in good shape is one of the reasons I
> bike, I get more exercise with the same distance on a MTB too. It's nice too not to get a flat
> tire every week.

It's been over 3000 miles since my last flat tire on my road bike.

--
Benjamin Lewis

A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they are held by most to be the
lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.

"jacques" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> I tend to agree with Buck. To ride in town I prefer a hybrid or whatever it is called with 700x35
> tires and a straight bar. When I go downtown with
my
> road bike I don't feel too comfortable in the traffic. If you have to ride any distance on unpaved
> roads don't get a road bike. I also favor my hybrid because it has lights (half of the year I
> commute by night), fenders (it may rain), and rack (I do sweat much more if I carry my bag on my
> back). Overall it certainly costs weight, but I feel it is worth it. And you will still have a
> better efficiency than with a mountain bike.

I take the opposing position. When I started my degree in Sydney, I bought myself a "sensible"
hybrid bike, a GT Tachyon, to which I fitted mudguards and a rear rack. I rode it for perhaps a
fortnight, and hated every minute, so on my next trip home brought my roadie back with me. Ever
since then I've commuted every day on my roadie; 700x23c tyres, 12-23 sprocket and all.

The reason I don't ride the hybrid is simply that it's no fun to ride. It's dead boring and slow.
When I ride I like to ride at a good pace, and I like to be able to sprint when I like. Sure, I end
up with a sweaty back from carrying my clothes in my backpack, and with a muddy line up my bum when
it rains, but this is small penance to pay for an enjoyable, exhilirating ride to and from work.

Since then I've changed bikes, as I've become involved in local club racing, so now I commute on a
gorgeous Colnago race bike, which I race most weekends. My workmates think I'm nuts, and some of my
clubmates as well, but I'm in hog heaven. Who else gets to ride the bicycle equivalent of a Ferrari
to work each day?

Regards,

Suzy

Tom Keats wrote:
> ... That has been my experience, too. If mere width was much of a concern, all kinds of trikes,
> pedicabs, bike trailers, cargo-carrying "work bikes" and other stuff would be getting clipped all
> over the map....

Motor vehicle operators give me a much wider berth when I am riding my tadpole trike than a
single-track bicycle. Many of them probably think I am handicapped.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

[email protected] wrote:
>
> In rec.bicycles.misc Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Most road bikes are geared too high for their riders. If the professional racers who can have an
> > average power output of 400 watts use nothing higher than a 53/11 top gear, then riders of
> > lesser ability will have no practical use for such high gears. Many would benefit from lower
> > climbing gears, but that would not be macho - they could no longer say, "I climbed such and such
> > with a 39/22 gear".
>
> I can't really agree with this. My top gear is a 52/12 and I use it every day when I ride to and
> fro work. Every day. I don't quite hit my bottom gear every day (but close) with a 30/24. If I
> remember correctly Tom, you live in a fairly flat section of the country, so I could see you not
> needing/wanting as much of a top gear.
>
> However in riding around Bellevue/Seattle I break 40 mph every day on my way to and from work.
> Sure, I could coast down those hills a little slower instead of pumping, but why?

I have the equivalent of a 50T large chainring on a road bike on my bike
[1] and I can pedal up to over 50 mph. I am also more aerodynamic than a road bike (I easily out
coast upright tandems).

As for where I live, the streets going up and down the bluffs to the Mississippi and Rock River
alluvial plains can have grades of up to 20% or so.

[2] 44T large ring, 13T/20T step-up, 19.5 in. diameter drivewheel on my bike, assuming the road bike
has 23-622 tires.

Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:
>
> Tom Sherman wrote in message <[email protected]>...
> >
> > they could no longer say, "I climbed such and
> such with a 39/22 gear".
> >
> Tom, you only need 39x21 on a road bike, there are only eight climbs in North America that require
> a 23 cog.
>
> Show up for a group ride with a 23 cog and guys like me will notice!
>
> Anyway, no one ever climbs with a even number cog. You must use a 19 or 21.

I have a 22T granny ring and 24, 28 and 34T [1] cogs on my bike.

[1] Among others: cluster is an 11/12/14/16/18/21/24/28/34 XT.

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:39:05 -0700, Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]> from Simon Fraser
University wrote:

>It's been over 3000 miles since my last flat tire on my road bike.

Wow, did you ever just jinx yourself.
--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace A shapely CATHOLIC SCHOOLGIRL is FIDGETING
inside my costume..
9:02:33 PM 6 August 2003

I just did this last week, a car munched my old mountain bike (trek
830) and a very guilt ridden motorist bought me a new cannondale (R4). I enjoy a 12 mile each way
commute through downtown chicago every day, and i have to say that the road bike actually has a
smoother ride than the mountain bike. That and the road bike cut nearly 10 min. off of my
commute. I would recommend either getting fitted at your LBS or breaking out the measuring tape
and go to this site (http://www.bsn.com/Cycling/ergobike.html). I took a 20 min. test ride
before and after fitting. you would not believe how much more comfortable a road bike is when
it actually fits.

Mike Beauchamp wrote:

>Hey all, I'm considering purchasing a new bicycle (Maybe $800 CDN total) to replace my nearly 8
>year old Mongoose IBOC Pro mountain bike. I used to use it mainy for offroad but a knee injury
>stopped that, and in the past few years I've used it purely for commuting (10K's to school and
>back, 30-40K rides on weekends, stuff like that).
>
>I'm just wondering if purchasing a road bike would be more appropriate than a mountain bike. I most
>certainly don't want to be one of those kids riding on the side of the road with a fully suspended
>downhill mountain bike with the seat all the way down bouncing up and down on each pedal stroke.
>
>I want something that can use my energy as efficiently as possible, and get me going as fast as
>possible. Like many commuters here I'm sure, it's definately more fun going nearly the speed of the
>cars instead of having them wizz past you. Is a road bike as fast as I think it is?
>
>In the past few years, I've added slicks to my mountain bike, etc. All in the name of a smoother
>and more efficient ride on pavement.
>
>Here's my concern. Obviously a road bike is going to be a more harsh ride, with the small tires and
>the high air pressure, etc. Are small bumps in the road going to be as bad as I think they are? Is
>that why I don't see too many people riding around the streets on nice road bikes?
>
>I'm going to go try a few road bikes out tomorrow, mainly for fun.. but I'm wondering what people
>think in here. Should I stick with a mountain bike? Another reason for wanting to get a road bike
>is that I can convert my mountain bike back to offroad and have two bicycles for whatever type of
>riding I want to do.
>
>Mike http://mikebeauchamp.com
>
>

Tom Sherman wrote in message <[email protected]>...
>I have a 22T granny ring and 24, 28 and 34T [1] cogs on my bike.

Tom did you read my post awhile back where I stated the well known fact that roadies NEVER climb
with a even number cog!

Use a 19 or 21. And a 23 for climbing mount Zoncolan and the Alto L'Angliru.

If you're stuck stateside then keep the 23 off, you only need a 21. Guys will check your cogset out
before the ride starts, you don't want someone like me finding a girly 23 on your bike.

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:39:05 -0700, Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]> may have said:

>It's been over 3000 miles since my last flat tire on my road bike.

Ride through downtown Houston once and say that.

--
My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail. Yes, I have a killfile. If I
don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:
>
> Tom Sherman wrote in message <[email protected]>...
> >I have a 22T granny ring and 24, 28 and 34T [1] cogs on my bike.
>
> Tom did you read my post awhile back where I stated the well known fact that roadies NEVER climb
> with a even number cog!
>
> Use a 19 or 21. And a 23 for climbing mount Zoncolan and the Alto L'Angliru.
>
> If you're stuck stateside then keep the 23 off, you only need a 21. Guys will check your cogset
> out before the ride starts, you don't want someone like me finding a girly 23 on your bike.

Fabrizio,

Wouldn't an "elite roadie" such as yourself be rather embarrassed if you were seen to be checking
out my bike [1]?

You are also forgetting that I am not a roadie, but a degenerate recumbent lowracer rider. ;)

[1] < http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/sunset/Sunset001.jpg >

>Ride through downtown Houston once and say that.

Everybody knows you Texans aren't Catholic.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
the Texas Elvis"------------------
__________306.350.357.38>>[email protected]__________

Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote:
>In the early '70s, when road bikes were All the Rage, and the mtb wasn't even a gleam in a
>marketer's eye, cheap road-pattern bikes were plentiful...and just as crummy as the Mall-Wart mtbs
>that are being pumped out today.

I don't think that's quite true - the mass market ten-speeds were at least reasonably good at going
from one place to another quite quickly. :-/
--
David Damerell <[email protected]> Kill the tomato!

jacques <[email protected]> wrote:
>If you have to ride any distance on unpaved roads don't get a road bike. I also favor my hybrid
>because it has lights (half of the year I commute by night), fenders (it may rain), and rack (I do
>sweat much more if I carry my bag on my back).

But these are not inherent properties of the design - my light touring bike has all of these things.
--

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:
>On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 22:34:14 -0500, Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>>professional racers who can have an average power output of 400 watts use nothing higher than a
>>53/11 top gear, then riders of lesser ability will have no practical use for such high gears. Many
>>would benefit from
>Didn't you read the 12-25 vs. 12-27 thread? :)

I was just wondering if Mr. Sherman had opened that can of worms again.

>>lower climbing gears, but that would not be macho - they could no longer say, "I climbed such and
>>such with a 39/22 gear".
>Just like a stem with a rise is not macho. I don't care, I've got one.

Curiously luggage is not macho either - which is odd, because those of us with luggage have to push
it up the hills as well.
--

> > Here's my concern. Obviously a road bike is going to be a more harsh ride,
:> > with the small tires and the high air pressure, etc. Are small bumps in the road going to be as
:> > bad as I think they are? Is that why I don't see too many people riding around the streets on
:> > nice road bikes?

My wheels are 27 x 1.25. I steer cleer of 27 x 1 1/8, and just snatched a pair of 27 x 1 3/8 tires
that I really prefer when I can find them. They give a more cushy ride that smooths out those bumps,
stones, bricks, whatever. A little more resistance, sure, but I don't care about that so much as a
smoother ride. Lower pressure tires will also feel less jarring than high pressure, so I prefer a
lower pressure tire.

:>
:> It's not that bad. It's just that the general public likes MTB's and SUV's. This is not for any
:> particularly well thought out reason. They just do. I've seen tons of people on MTB's that don't
:> seem to ever go off road. It seems silly to me. Come to think of it, the same could be said of
:> SUV's. I live in Southern California and most SUV's here have never seen a dirt road much less
:> mud or snow. A little rain for 5 minutes a year is about it.
:> > I'm going to go try a few road bikes out tomorrow, mainly for fun.. but I'm wondering what
:> > people think in here. Should I stick with a mountain bike? Another reason for wanting to get a
:> > road bike is that I can convert my mountain bike back to offroad and have two bicycles for
:> > whatever type of riding I want to do.

I've never had a mountain bike. I think it would be great fun on trails but for commuting I don't
see the advantage except for the fact that you can jump and roll over more weird stuff than a road
bike. I like my Maes handle bars because of the several hand positions I can use when my hands get
tired. Most (or many) mountain bikes seem to have just one hand position. The wide handle bars of a
lot of mountain bikes seem dangerous in city biking, too.

:> I'd recomend a touring bike. They tend to have wider tires which run lower pressures and so have
:> a less harsh ride (not to mention having better traction in the rain). They also have eyelets for
:> racks and fenders which can be really nice for commuting. Racing bikes tend not to have those.
:> --Bill Davidson

Fenders are something I've never needed. I don't ride in the rain anymore if I can help it and even
when I did, I didn't have a problem with mud coming up on my pants. I have a back rack and I attach
a large basket to it. I feel this is the most convenient baggage system on a commuter bike. You can
just plop a backpack and/or groceries, etc. into the basket and off you go.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.