But Trek finally caught onto this last year when they started
marketing
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
the Madone. And now they have the Madone, Madone SL, and a few
other
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
"special" frames. All you need is $5000+ to have a "special" Trek. Personally, when you get up to that price range, I wouldn't even consider a Trek.
So the Trek does not have a high enough prestige to price ratio to be
Quoted message said:
worth consideration?
-- Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island
For the most part, yes. You see a Trek OCLV under every Tom, [censored], Harry, etc. If I'm spending $5,000 or more on a bike, which I don't know if I ever would, I'd want some exclusivity. After all, you can spend $2,500 on a bike, at most, and get 100% of the functionality of the $5,000 plus bikes. So for that extra $2,500 or more you pay for the high end bike, you had better be buying something like exclusivity, fancy paint, prestigious name brand, etc. Otherwise, why pay the extra money?
In other words, paying more than $2500 for a bicycle is just silly.
I paid less than $2000 for my bike, and it is so exclusive that complete strangers address me by name on invitational rides. 🙂
I asked Calfee about the type of carbon they use on their bikes. Their higher end bikes use Boron, a material that is used in military applications and thus cannot be distributed outside of the USA. Thus carbon bikes that are made in Taiwan or elsewhere, do not have this Boron material.
I asked Calfee about the type of carbon they use on their bikes. Their higher end bikes use Boron, a material that is used in military applications and thus cannot be distributed outside of the USA. Thus carbon bikes that are made in Taiwan or elsewhere, do not have this Boron material.
Boron is an element, just as carbon is. The notion that it exists only in the USA is laughable.
I recommend that you go with a company that has a good warranty. I recomend either the Trek or Calfee frames or possibly the Kestrel. Some of the other frames such as Colnago's or Look frames are nice, but they only have a 3 or 5 year warranty and they are expensive as well. Personally I like the Calfee's since they are the only company to offer a custom composite frame. The Treks are nice, but I have heard reports that they all develop hairline cracks over time.
Chris Cumo said:
I currently ride a Merckx Corsa 01 steel framed beauty, but my eyes
have
Quoted message said:
been wondering to the new carbon frames I'm seeing on the road
everywhere.
Quoted message said:
I am very interested in the Kuota and Wilier Italian bikes. Does
anyone
Quoted message said:
have experience with either of these makes? I'm 195 lbs and 5'9"
tall. I'm
Quoted message said:
not a racer, but a very dedicated enthusiat who this year started
working
Quoted message said:
with a cycling coach (lost 20lbs since I started). Obviously, carbon
is
Quoted message said:
very strong, but I am concerned about durability of these ultra light
I asked Calfee about the type of carbon they use on their bikes. Their higher end bikes use Boron
Boron is so named because it bores fine holes in anything with which it comes into contact - it's completely untrue that it's because it's usually mentioned by snobs boring one to tears in conversations about bikes.
Clearly, therefore, it lightens any frame which includes it, but it also weakens in. But the dimpling effect of all those tiny holes causes an aero improvement.
jee-<< I asked Calfee about the type of carbon they use on their bikes. Their higher end bikes use Boron, a material that is used in military applications and thus cannot be distributed outside of the USA. >><BR><BR>
Not quite. The main tubes on the Dragonfly are carbon/boron weave, a similar material used in the US military aircraft production of things like the B-2.
Boron/carbon combos are common in other countries A/C developement, like in France. and the UK. Airbus rudders are a good example.
Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302 (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"