Conti 4000s vs All-Seasons

Kocsis

New Member
Nov 6, 2005
Just picked up my Seven Ti custom bike. All is great, except LBS put Conti All-Seasons on Mavic OP wheels instead of GP 4000s, as agreed. (700x25). Heard great things about performance/durability of 4000s, nothing about All-Seasons. What's your experience - don't want to fuss if they're comparable, though I'm annoyed.

Kocsis wrote:
> Just picked up my Seven Ti custom bike. All is great, except LBS put
> Conti All-Seasons on Mavic OP wheels instead of GP 4000s, as agreed.
> (700x25). Heard great things about performance/durability of 4000s,
> nothing about All-Seasons. What's your experience - don't want to
> fuss if they're comparable, though I'm annoyed.

If the 'L' in LBS is really L, then take 'em back and get what you
ordered/agreed/paid (to and for).

Bill "IMO" S.

> Just picked up my Seven Ti custom bike. All is great, except LBS put
> Conti All-Seasons on Mavic OP wheels instead of GP 4000s, as agreed.
> (700x25). Heard great things about performance/durability of 4000s,
> nothing about All-Seasons. What's your experience - don't want to fuss
> if they're comparable, though I'm annoyed.

The GP4000 will be a slightly-faster, slightly-smoother-riding (more
comfortable) tire, due to its more-flexible casing. Durability should be a
bit better on the 4-Seasons (which is what I think that tire is actually
called?). Pricing is fairly similar; maybe $6 more/tire on the GP4000.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

news:[email protected]...

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>> Just picked up my Seven Ti custom bike. All is great, except LBS put
>> Conti All-Seasons on Mavic OP wheels instead of GP 4000s, as agreed.
>> (700x25). Heard great things about performance/durability of 4000s,
>> nothing about All-Seasons. What's your experience - don't want to fuss
>> if they're comparable, though I'm annoyed.

> The GP4000 will be a slightly-faster, slightly-smoother-riding (more
> comfortable) tire, due to its more-flexible casing. Durability should be a
> bit better on the 4-Seasons (which is what I think that tire is actually
> called?). Pricing is fairly similar; maybe $6 more/tire on the GP4000.

How does the GP4000 compare to the Michelin Carbon Pro2's? TIA

Kocsis wrote:
> Just picked up my Seven Ti custom bike. All is great, except LBS put
> Conti All-Seasons on Mavic OP wheels instead of GP 4000s, as agreed.
> (700x25). Heard great things about performance/durability of 4000s,
> nothing about All-Seasons. What's your experience - don't want to fuss
> if they're comparable, though I'm annoyed.
>

> --
> Kocsis

If you paid for 4000, go back and get 'em but remember, the 4000, like
the 3000, is designed to be a racing' tire, with the expected better
'grip' and less durability. For this time of year, I recommend "4"
Seasons, with it's stronger sidewalss and worry about a racing tire
when you actually race or when the roads have less **** on them...the
are GP3000 '4 seasons', right?
A GP with more 'stuff' in the side wall, a great tire.

Do you REALLY think that you can tell the difference?

The 4-Seasons is a much better winter tire.

Kocsis <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:
> Heard great things about performance/durability of 4000s,
> nothing about All-Seasons.

I've never tried the 4000, but the Conti 4-Seasons are very durable and very
puncture resistant.

Mon, 30 Jan 2006 17:11:22 +1100, Kocsis
<[email protected]> skrev:

GP 4Season is my favorite tire. Surprisingly it has not only better
better grip and puncture resistance than the GP3000 - according to a
recent test in German bike magazin "Tour" It also has lower rolling
resistance. GP 4000 wasn't in the test, and I haven't tried it yet- but
with the 4Season I am sure you have got one of the best tires in the
market. It isn't cheap, but you don't mind, do you?
Ivar

> Just picked up my Seven Ti custom bike. All is great, except LBS put
> Conti All-Seasons on Mavic OP wheels instead of GP 4000s, as agreed.
> (700x25). Heard great things about performance/durability of 4000s,
> nothing about All-Seasons. What's your experience - don't want to fuss
> if they're comparable, though I'm annoyed.

--
Sendt med Operas banebrydende nyhedsgruppe-
og e-postklient: http://www.opera.com/m2/

>> The GP4000 will be a slightly-faster, slightly-smoother-riding (more
>> comfortable) tire, due to its more-flexible casing. Durability should be
>> a bit better on the 4-Seasons (which is what I think that tire is
>> actually called?). Pricing is fairly similar; maybe $6 more/tire on the
>> GP4000.
>>

> How does the GP4000 compare to the Michelin Carbon Pro2's? TIA

Don't know; haven't tried the Michelins. I suspect they'll be similar, as
I've heard good things about them, but I limit my comments to what I've
experienced or observed directly.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

news:p[email protected]...

Kocsis wrote:
> Just picked up my Seven Ti custom bike. All is great, except LBS put
> Conti All-Seasons on Mavic OP wheels instead of GP 4000s, as agreed.
> (700x25). Heard great things about performance/durability of 4000s,
> nothing about All-Seasons. What's your experience - don't want to fuss
> if they're comparable, though I'm annoyed.

Take em back and get some Michelins,
Vredesteins, whatever.

Continentals are junk IMO. Just about
every conti I've ever had has blown the
sidewall. Except for Top Tourings IMO.

Robert

[email protected] wrote:
> Kocsis wrote:
> > Just picked up my Seven Ti custom bike. All is great, except LBS put
> > Conti All-Seasons on Mavic OP wheels instead of GP 4000s, as agreed.
> > (700x25). Heard great things about performance/durability of 4000s,
> > nothing about All-Seasons. What's your experience - don't want to fuss
> > if they're comparable, though I'm annoyed.

> Take em back and get some Michelins,
> Vredesteins, whatever.
>
> Continentals are junk IMO. Just about
> every conti I've ever had has blown the
> sidewall. Except for Top Tourings IMO.
>
> Robert

You have not tried the Continental Gatorskin(wire bead) or 4
Season(kevlar bead) models then.

[email protected] wrote:
> not to get too far off topic, but has anyone tried the Conti Gatorskin
> tires for training???

By training do you mean just riding your bike and enjoying the
wonderful experience of bicycling? If so, then the Gatorskin tires
wear extremely well. Sidewalls last until the tread is gone. Had a
rear tire that went quite a few thousand miles. It did CANDISC,
RAGBRAI, GRABWAR, CNC, BAK, Pedal Peaks. Plus a few brevets. Plus
whatever riding I did in the 4 years the tires were on the bike. Maybe
4,000 miles for the rear. Front went another year before it looked so
awful I decided I needed a pretty new tire. Sidewalls can look chewed
up and cut but they are double thickness or something so it does not
matter. I did have flats with these tires. But not through the
sidewall like I get when I hit sharp gravel with the Ultra 2000 or
Ultra 3000 models. A friend is using the 25mm Gatorskin version on his
tandem and is happy. I used the 23mm version.

On 30 Jan 2006 14:03:03 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>not to get too far off topic, but has anyone tried the Conti Gatorskin
>tires for training???

I've got 5400 miles on 700x25 Gatorskin, on the rear and over 5000
miles on the front.
The rear is squared off, but still has some tread. The front is in
great shape.
As a rule I don't get many flats and with this pair, I have never had
to do a roadside repair. I have had a couple of slow leaks, but that
is all.

It would be a fine tire for training. I mostly just ride. Maybe I
train for the next ride? Highly recommended!

By the way, for 2006 there is a new version of the Ultra Gatorskin:
http://www.conti-online.com/generat.../race/ultra_gatorskin/ultra_gatorskin_en.html

Life is Good!
Jeff

[email protected] wrote:
> not to get too far off topic, but has anyone tried the Conti Gatorskin
> tires for training???

On my fixie for winter 'training'. Great tire, wire bead, durable, long
lasting, not expensive, what else is there?

Jeff Starr wrote:

> On 30 Jan 2006 14:03:03 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >not to get too far off topic, but has anyone tried the Conti Gatorskin
> >tires for training???

> I've got 5400 miles on 700x25 Gatorskin, on the rear and over 5000
> miles on the front.
> The rear is squared off, but still has some tread. The front is in
> great shape.
> As a rule I don't get many flats and with this pair, I have never had
> to do a roadside repair. I have had a couple of slow leaks, but that
> is all.
>
> It would be a fine tire for training. I mostly just ride. Maybe I
> train for the next ride? Highly recommended!

I got through several 700Cx25 UltraGatorSkins last year and had quite a
lot of trouble with them. They are reasonably fast for a supposedly
tough tyre, but I found their puncture rate was terrible. On average I
got only slightly over 200km between each puncture. Occasionally I
would get over 1,000km without a flat, then I would get a whole string
of them to bring the average back down. None of the UltraGatorSkins I
discarded was close to wearing right down. One of them only had about
400km on it when I had to throw it away because a deep cut in the tread
caused it to bulge so it was out of round.

I also found that as they wear they get a chewed-up appearance, then
they start puncturing spontaneously. What seems to happen is that the
casing fails under the tread, the tube starts to poke through, a flap
of tread lifts, and bang! Many of my punctures seemed to be similar but
less spectacuar tyre failures rather than penetration by a sharp
object. There would not be a bang, but a sudden loud sound of air
escaping. The tyre would go down rapidly until it was faily soft, then
the leak would almost stop. With this kind of puncture I would usually
find a little hole in the tyre but no foreign body stuck in it.

The strange thing is that comparing notes with other UK cyclists it
seems UGS users fall into two camps. Some people seem to go thousands
of miles with absolutely no trouble, with the tyres wearing down and
retaining a smooth appearance, while others find as I do that the tread
develops a rough look and the tyres puncture frequently. Some Audax
riders have started referring to them as UltraHamsterSkins.

--
Dave...

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> not to get too far off topic, but has anyone tried the Conti
>> Gatorskin tires for training???

> On my fixie for winter 'training'. Great tire, wire bead, durable,
> long lasting, not expensive, what else is there?

Chi-chi LOOKS, silly!

Bill "too sexy for my rims" S.

[email protected] wrote:

> > Continentals are junk IMO. Just about
> > every conti I've ever had has blown the
> > sidewall. Except for Top Tourings IMO.
> >
> > Robert

> You have not tried the Continental Gatorskin(wire bead) or 4
> Season(kevlar bead) models then.

Is that Conti's answer to the blown sidewall?
Other companies don't need to add some
exoskeleton to their sidewalls to keep them
from ripping open.