converting a small mtb to a road bike

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Pooh, Jun 2, 2003.

  1. Pooh

    Pooh Guest

    My daughter saw a crit two weeks ago, and is now interested in entering a crit herself in the 10-12
    age group. Being on a constrained budget, I'm thinking how to convert one of yet to be used bikes to
    an appropriate contender without spending hundreds of dollars to get her started.

    Here's what I have. A 15" Giant triple butted MTB, 26" Fat Boy 100
    psi tires. 7 speed, shimano compact rear hub 36 spoke, and Specialized/Wheelsmith 36 spoke front.

    I have a number of road bars and stems that will fit the 1" headset. Done.

    Brakes are cantilever, shifter is underbar Deore pods index. What are my options here?

    Can I use road bike brake levers on c-brakes?

    I'm not certain what to do with the shifters except to go used STI. That's bucks.

    Switching the chainwheel to dual road chainwheels should be no problem, I have an array of CW's.

    Could this work and perform well. (I noticed that her field of competition in junior girls 10-12 is
    very small. Probably so small that in medals for the first 5 places, they might have some prizes
    left over).

    Thanks/

    Wynn

    Tags:

  2. A shy person wrote:

    > My daughter saw a crit two weeks ago, and is now interested in entering a crit herself in the
    > 10-12 age group. Being on a constrained budget, I'm thinking how to convert one of yet to be used
    > bikes to an appropriate contender without spending hundreds of dollars to get her started.
    >
    > Here's what I have. A 15" Giant triple butted MTB, 26" Fat Boy 100
    > psi tires. 7 speed, shimano compact rear hub 36 spoke, and Specialized/Wheelsmith 36 spoke front.
    >
    > I have a number of road bars and stems that will fit the 1" headset.

    Sounds like a good plan. Normally you'd want a stem with a shorter extension for
    converting to drops.

    > Brakes are cantilever, shifter is underbar Deore pods index. What are my options here?

    Option A. Shimano Sora ergos ($130) These work very well, and are adjustable for smaller hands. Only
    downside is that the front one isn't perfectly compatible with her present front derailer.

    A 1997 RSX front derailer will fix that, if the bike can use a 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 bottom pull.
    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/derailers.html#front

    Option B. Bar end shifters. This won't be much cheaper 'cause you also need to buy brake levers. The
    Sora STIs are the only drop bar levers with a reach adjustment for small hands.

    > Can I use road bike brake levers on c-brakes?

    No problem.

    > I'm not certain what to do with the shifters except to go used STI. That's bucks.
    >
    > Switching the chainwheel to dual road chainwheels should be no problem, I have an array of CW's.

    Oh, if you go for a double, there won't be any problem with front STI shifting.

    > Could this work and perform well.

    Yep.

    See http://sheldonbrown.com/parts

    | Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die | even the undertaker will be sorry. --Mark
    | Twain |
    +-------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

  3. On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 16:42:10 -0400, Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Sheldon "Sora, Sora, Sora" Brown

    Que sora, sora?

    Jasper "hiding from the angry mob" Janssen