Converting from double to triple

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Robert Warren, Mar 13, 2003.

  1. About 5 years ago I found a deal on a touring frame and built it up using an eclectic blend of
    components. Because it was intended to be used as a utility bike --- not for loaded touring--- I
    just put a double chain ring set-up on it. Now I'm thinking that I would like to do some loaded
    touring and would like to put a triple on it. I have an Ultegra triple (30-42-52) stored away from
    another bike and would like to use it if possible. The trouble is that it's for a 9 speed chain and
    my (existing) cassette is an 8 speed.

    Here's the existing component group: 105 cranks, Double (39-26) Ultegra front deraileur (designed
    for a double) Ultegra rear deraileur (not a long cage) 8 speed cassette, 13-26 XT rear hub, 105
    STI shifters

    What I would like to do: Convert to a triple (hopefully using the 9 speed Triple cranks that I
    already have. Is this possible or will I have to buy another set of triple cranks?

    -I'm guessing the front deraileur will need to be replaced?

    -Is it possible to make the existing rear deraileur work or is a long cage necessary?

    -Is it possible to buy just a left side triple STI shifter? (I prefer sti's over bar-end or down
    tube shifters)

    Any suggestions/help would be much appreciated, Bob

    Tags:

  2. wheels-<< Now I'm thinking that I would like to do some loaded touring and would like to put a
    triple on it.

    << I have an Ultegra triple (30-42-52) stored away from another bike and would like to use it if
    possible. The trouble is that it's for a 9 speed chain and my (existing) cassette is an 8 speed.

    No trouble, that crank will work fine with a 8s chain.

    << 105 STI shifters

    Your left(front) shifter is double only is 8s-you will need a triple left shifter or use a bar con-

    Triple fder, long cage rder, 118.5mm BB-

    << -Is it possible to make the existing rear deraileur work or is a long cage necessary?

    You can make a short cage work but the chain has to artifically short, which makes big ring/big cog
    combos impossible.

    << -Is it possible to buy just a left side triple STI shifter? (I prefer sti's over bar-end or down
    tube shifters)

    yes they are available-Quality Bike parts(a distributor) sells them, see yer bike shop.

  3. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    "Robert Warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > About 5 years ago I found a deal on a touring frame and
    built it up
    > using an eclectic blend of components. Because it was
    intended to be
    > used as a utility bike --- not for loaded touring--- I
    just put a
    > double chain ring set-up on it. Now I'm thinking that I
    would like to
    > do some loaded touring and would like to put a triple on
    it. I have an
    > Ultegra triple (30-42-52) stored away from another bike
    and would like
    > to use it if possible. The trouble is that it's for a 9
    speed chain
    > and my (existing) cassette is an 8 speed.
    >
    > Here's the existing component group: 105 cranks, Double (39-26) Ultegra front deraileur (designed
    > for a double) Ultegra rear deraileur (not a long cage) 8 speed cassette, 13-26 XT rear hub, 105
    > STI shifters
    >
    > What I would like to do: Convert to a triple (hopefully using the 9 speed Triple
    cranks that I
    > already have. Is this possible or will I have to buy
    another set of
    > triple cranks?
    >
    > -I'm guessing the front deraileur will need to be
    replaced?

    > -Is it possible to make the existing rear deraileur work
    or is a long
    > cage necessary?
    >
    > -Is it possible to buy just a left side triple STI
    shifter? (I prefer
    > sti's over bar-end or down tube shifters)
    >
    > Any suggestions/help would be much appreciated, Bob

    What model are your 105 shifters? The later ones (55XX series) are double/triple - the older ones
    (1055 series) are not. You'll may be able to find a used 1055 single left triple shifter, but it
    would be easier to get a new set of current model nine speed Tiagras or 105's

    For loaded touring you'll probably need lower gearing than a 30 chainring and 26 large sprocket. You
    may want to consider a "compact" 46-36-26 crankset rather than the 52-42-30

    IMHO you should replace both the dérailleurs - you can use a rear short cage, but you'll either have
    a lot of chain sag in the small ring/smallest sprocket(s) or an interesting experience when you
    inadvertently try to use the big ring/largest sprocket

  4. > > I just put a double chain ring set-up on it. Now I'm thinking that I
    > would like to
    > > do some loaded touring and would like to put a triple on
    > it. I have an
    > > Ultegra triple (30-42-52) stored away from another bike
    > and would like
    > > to use it if possible. The trouble is that it's for a 9
    > speed chain
    > > and my (existing) cassette is an 8 speed.
    > >
    > > Here's the existing component group: 105 cranks, Double (39-26) Ultegra front deraileur
    > > (designed for a double) Ultegra rear deraileur (not a long cage) 8 speed cassette, 13-26 XT rear
    > > hub, 105 STI shifters
    > >
    > > What I would like to do: Convert to a triple (hopefully using the 9 speed Triple
    > cranks that I
    > > already have. Is this possible or will I have to buy
    > another set of
    > > triple cranks?

    Just to point something out to you, your current set-up of 39/26 front and 13-26 rear offers you
    much lower gearing suitable for touring than you would have with 52/42/30 on the front. It seems to
    me that if you switched to a triple you'd just be spending money to have a less satisfactory touring
    bike. Suggestion: Swap your 39 tooth chainring for a 42 and then you'll have a nice cruising gear
    and a nice low gear for hills. That's about all you need to tour.

    Rob Strickland

  5. The 26 was a typo. The chainrings are 39/53.

    Thanks, RDW

    > Just to point something out to you, your current set-up of 39/26 front and 13-26 rear offers you
    > much lower gearing suitable for touring than you would have with 52/42/30 on the front.

  6. I bought an older Giant Option ATB from a pawn shop about three years ago, that had 26 3/8" wheels
    and set up as a 10-speed. Now I have a CPI triple (48-38-28) and an 8-speed cassette (12-28). I'm
    using the original BB (adj.cup), 124mm spindle, (the only original part besides the frame & stem),
    Tourney shifters & derailers (6-speed), Alivio brakes, Schwinn brake levers (with bobbed "safety"
    levers to clear the handlebar bag), a Brooks B-66 Champion, and the drop bars off the wife's old
    Raleigh Record, and a Weinmann 700C wheelset with 35mm tires. Truly a Heinz 57, but quiet, smooth,
    and comfortable. My point, I reckon, is if ya put whatever you want on it, and it works, do it. Try
    it and see....

  7. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Warren wrote:

    > 8 speed cassette, 13-26

    For touring you ought to replace that cassette too. If you can put on at 11-32/34, you could get
    away with just two chainrings, the 30-42 of your ultegra, and avoid the need for a new STI. Or put
    on a compact triple and get some serious mountain gears.

    > -Is it possible to make the existing rear deraileur work or is a long cage necessary?

    If you can avoid the small-small gear combinations, you might get away with it.

    > -Is it possible to buy just a left side triple STI shifter? (I prefer sti's over bar-end or down
    > tube shifters)

    But you dont use the left so much. How much are you willing to spend?