UK and Europe · Public discussion

Cook sets for cycle camping

Started by Pinky · · Last activity · 39 posts · 1,611 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
18 September 2006
Last activity
20 September 2006
Original author
Pinky
Posts
39
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,611
Views / 30 days
11

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–39 of 39
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Tom said:
    Slark said:

    How can I resist - yes please!

    Quoted message said:

    1 tin of corned beef

    <snip>

    Corned beef! it's gone horribly wrong already!

    Our favourite Trangia recipe goes like this... (for two people)

    A good splash of white wine over the base of the pan, warm it up
    Add one clove of garlic, chopped finely
    Progressivley add and stir in 200g of Gruyere and 100g of Emental

    When it's all in and burbling happily you have a good cheese
    fondue. Dip in anything you fancy (bread, mushrooms, asparagus
    tips, carrots, mini-sweetcorns etc.) and consume, leaving on low
    heat and *keep stirring*.

    You can optionally add a little kirsch or similar schnapps-ish
    stuff if you like, I like it with and also without.

    Don't be tempted to use red wine as it's all you have, it really is
    a terrible waste of both the wine and the cheese.

    Other cheeses make good combinations too. Jarlsberg and Greve give
    a good nordic alternative, for those preferring their heels free.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  2. "Peter Clinch" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Tom said:
    Slark said:

    How can I resist - yes please!

    Quoted message said:

    1 tin of corned beef

    <snip>

    Corned beef! it's gone horribly wrong already!

    Our favourite Trangia recipe goes like this... (for two people)

    A good splash of white wine over the base of the pan, warm it up
    Add one clove of garlic, chopped finely
    Progressivley add and stir in 200g of Gruyere and 100g of Emental

    When it's all in and burbling happily you have a good cheese fondue. Dip
    in anything you fancy (bread, mushrooms, asparagus tips, carrots,
    mini-sweetcorns etc.) and consume, leaving on low heat and *keep
    stirring*.

    You can optionally add a little kirsch or similar schnapps-ish stuff if
    you like, I like it with and also without.

    Don't be tempted to use red wine as it's all you have, it really is a
    terrible waste of both the wine and the cheese.

    Other cheeses make good combinations too. Jarlsberg and Greve give a good
    nordic alternative, for those preferring their heels free.

    Corned beef's fine for me - reminds me of (much younger) camping times when
    'corned beef' hash was often on the menu - onions fried, baked beans in
    tomato sauce, corned beef - all stired together in pan...-simple times..

    However, I hadn't even considered a cheese fondue - great idea! I'll
    definitely try that next time I'm camping - I'm in lakes next week so a
    strong possibility. I like the idea of the nordic cheese fondue - I'm off to
    Levi in Finland in Feb so may be time for a fondue and for getting my heels
    free!

    Graham

  3. Pinky said:


    I find that using meths stains the pot bottoms a bit but not
    difficult to clean off.

    Something no-one else seems to have mentioned - some places make it
    very difficult to buy meths. You _can_ cook things on a Trangia
    running white spirit, but it's very slow and makes the pans horribly
    blackened.

    Check you can buy meths where you're going.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|
    |/ \|


  4. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Have any camping tourers out there got experience of these at all! Or
    any
    words of advice!



    I am a Trangia fan having had one donated to me a couple of years ago. I've
    used it extensively on two coast to cost rides, a Land's End to John
    O'Groats ride and a John O'Groats t'other end ride. Like one of the previous
    posters, I set up the stove before unpacking the tent. Sometimes it was
    drumming up other times it was setting up a meal. it depended how desperate
    I was for tasty calories :-)

    Cooking with a Trangia is a calming experience. It's pointless being in a
    hurry though having to put your meal to bed for a while before you can eat
    it takes the calming experience a few strides too far ;-)

    Trangias do porridge to perfection. I'd never considered porridge in the
    past and, contrary to received wisdom, cleaning the porridge pan is not an
    unpleasant chore unless one has been inattentive and burnt it.
    The bottoms of the pans do black up but I've never bothered cleaning them on
    a daily basis when on tour and never noticed a deterioration in performance.

    In the UK the cost of meths varies so much. Wilkinsons is consistently one
    of the cheapest sources at £1.50 per bottle though a farm supplies/hardware
    store in Williton, Somerset came in at £1.37 and a small rural garage in the
    same county had the stuff on offer at £3.25!

  5. "Ian Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Pinky said:


    I find that using meths stains the pot bottoms a bit but not
    difficult to clean off.

    Something no-one else seems to have mentioned - some places make it
    very difficult to buy meths. You _can_ cook things on a Trangia
    running white spirit, but it's very slow and makes the pans horribly
    blackened.

    Check you can buy meths where you're going.

    I've already mentioned this, but I think it bears repeating -

    http://www.mark-ju.net/juliette/meths.htm

    has some good information on this subject.

    If somebody could reply to this message, then Pinky may get to see it and
    find out something useful (like how to use a killfile sensibly...)

    cheers,
    clive

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    A bigger picture is here. That is just the thumbnail! Sorry!

    http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Rain_on_my_supper_pot.JPG

    Nice weather.

    Have you ever tried building your own. There are some good
    designs here
    http://zenstoves.net/BasicPressureBurner.htm

    I made one once and it worked quite well.
    --
    Cheers
    the.Mark

  7. Peter Clinch said:

    What they don't give you is outright speed (not generally an issue
    for a leisurely brew up after a day on the road) and easily
    controlled output. The simmer ring sort of works, up to a point,
    but it's a PITA to use compared to a gas valve. For a stew or hot
    water, so what, but like David M. I usually use a gas adaptor which
    leaves you with the most stable windproof camping stove there is
    but faster and more control, but I do sometimes use spirit and it
    does work. If you have the Lidl version there's no guarantee the
    gas adapters ("official" from Primus or non-official from Markill
    at half the price) will fit, so do be wary.

    If, like me, you picked up your Trangia for less than a pound from a
    jumble sale, you may discover that even the 'official' one does not fit
    without some assistance in the shape of a file and drill.

    I didn't know of the Markill adapter untill you mentioned it, having
    spent a small fortune on the gas one (which works fine with mixed
    propane/butane in just sub zero). I would definitely consider taking
    the spirit burner for sub-zero stuff, but otherwise cannot be bothered.
    I think I used it twice before spending the money for ease of use and
    cleanliness.

    ...d

  8. David Martin said:

    I didn't know of the Markill adapter untill you mentioned it, having
    spent a small fortune on the gas one (which works fine with mixed
    propane/butane in just sub zero). I would definitely consider taking
    the spirit burner for sub-zero stuff, but otherwise cannot be bothered.

    If you did, you'd find it can be a bit of a bore trying to get it
    to light :-( The fuel bottle inside your jacket for half an hour
    wheeze helps, but that's half an hour you don't have a brew on for
    :-( Also the case that in really low temps then the less soot from
    diluting the fuel gambit starts to look like a Bad Idea, as adding
    water doesn't help it catch fire for some reason...

    Propane or propane/butane mixes are still okay until it gets
    /seriously/ cold (saw an RGS talk from a chap who'd used gas in a
    ski traverse of the Karakorum, not an activity/place generally
    known for high temperatures. I was initially surprised he hadn't
    used liquid fuel stoves, but he had lots of 8000m experience so I
    think he probably Knew What He Was Doing). Pure butane would be a
    problem, granted.

    On the subject of getting things lit, the piezo lighters you can
    get on some gas burners should not be relied on IME. We had one on
    a trendy micro stove I won, and on a cycle trip we left the cooking
    stuff out overnight on the first day... rained overnight and piezo
    thingy was not playing "spark" the next day. It did recover later
    that week, but after that the insulating cover cracked so the spark
    was in the wrong place. Complete pants (dismounted it and saved 9
    (nine, count 'em!) grammes), take a lighter and/or matches.
    Matches much the best for a Trangia, unless you like burning your
    fingers, the long ones especially good, and can be used as supports
    for the Ortlieb coffee filter holder too.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  9. Clive George said:

    I've already mentioned this, but I think it bears repeating -

    http://www.mark-ju.net/juliette/meths.htm

    has some good information on this subject.

    If somebody could reply to this message, then Pinky may get to see it
    and find out something useful (like how to use a killfile sensibly...)

    Though knowing something and acting on it are, of course, two
    different things, and if he wants to be a wally and equate you to
    the likes of Troll B and Mr. Ed then it's his perogative and problem...

    (Ju is as mad as a box of frogs but a Very Good Egg and I'd trust
    her advice on Matters Outdoor, btw.)

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  10. "Peter Clinch" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Clive George wrote:

    Quoted message said:


    Though knowing something and acting on it are, of course, two different
    things, and if he wants to be a wally and equate you to the likes of Troll
    B and Mr. Ed then it's his perogative and problem...

    Quoted message said:

    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

    WRT Clive George -- a long time ago he asked that I "plonk" him and I
    obliged. He was being extremely sarcastic at the time! (and even a couple of
    days ago he reminded me of it -- via another poster as you have done). It
    seems that he wants his cake and to eat it. As far as I am concerned I am
    not interested and do not wish to discus him further.
    --
    Trevor A Panther
    In South Yorkshire,
    England, United Kingdom.

  11. Peter Clinch said:

    Matches much the best for a Trangia, unless you like burning your
    fingers, the long ones especially good, and can be used as supports
    for the Ortlieb coffee filter holder too.

    I used to have problems lighting the trangia till I started taking the
    windshield off the base, lightng the gas and then putting it back. No
    worries then even with a lighter (my preferred method).

    Maybe I don't feel the pain after a chemistry degree and with a hobby
    of playing with hot metal.

    ...d

  12. "Pinky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    WRT Clive George -- a long time ago he asked that I "plonk" him and I
    obliged. He was being extremely sarcastic at the time! (and even a couple
    of days ago he reminded me of it -- via another poster as you have done).
    It seems that he wants his cake and to eat it. As far as I am concerned I
    am not interested and do not wish to discus him further.

    Just for the record, I said that one day I may say something which might
    offend him, and in order to protect him from this the killfile would be
    appropriate. He appears to have missed the actual point, which is that that
    applies to everybody, so he'd have to killfile everybody. Oh well...

    cheers,
    clive

  13. Quoted message said:

    Nice weather.

    Have you ever tried building your own. There are some good
    designs here
    http://zenstoves.net/BasicPressureBurner.htm

    I made one once and it worked quite well.

    Made a couple of those myself, but prefer to use a Trangia burner with a
    home-made windshield/pot support (somewhat like this:
    http://zenstoves.net/PotStands.htm#WindScreen-PotStand ), but only for short
    trips. Main advantage of Trangia et al: you can use them inside your tent (with
    due caution!).
    Recently bought a Jetboil myself ( www.jetboil.com ). You're limited to soups,
    stews and instant meals, but it is briliant for quick brew-ups, and very
    efficient, esp. for a cannister stove.
    Best option on longer trips might be to bring a Trangia burner, a liquid fuel
    stove, and the windshield/pot support mentioned above. This way you have a
    back-up in case your main stove fails/gets lost, you can use the Trangia for
    simmering (though I have a MSR Dragonfly* that WILL simmer), plus you're more
    likely to find fuel for at least one of the stoves.
    As for pots, less is more; just one cooking pot and a good fitting lid/frying
    pan is all you need. And store your food, , not your stove(s), in the cookset;
    less smelly and more space-efficient.

    *and half a dozen other liquid fuel stoves; I like gadgets and fire...

  14. Pinky said:

    WRT Clive George -- a long time ago he asked that I "plonk" him and I
    obliged. He was being extremely sarcastic at the time! (and even a couple of
    days ago he reminded me of it -- via another poster as you have done). It
    seems that he wants his cake and to eat it. As far as I am concerned I am
    not interested and do not wish to discus him further.

    It seems that you missed the point he was making at the time WRT
    killfiles, and if you're "not interested" in what he has to say then
    it's your loss as he's one of the Good Guys.

    Trevor, interested or not, meet your nose. It's the one you cut off to
    spite your face. Say hello! ;-/

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  15. Very off topic -- sorry! ( but not very)

    Quoted message said:

    It seems that you missed the point he was making at the time WRT
    killfiles, and if you're "not interested" in what he has to say then it's
    your loss as he's one of the Good Guys.

    Trevor, interested or not, meet your nose. It's the one you cut off to
    spite your face. Say hello! ;-/


    You were not there at the time! Do not pontificate at me. He is no loss to
    me. I use my blocked enders list as I wish, to suit myself and no one else.

    No I did not miss the point at all. He made, at that time, a sarcastic
    remark asking that I add him to my "killfile". I replied to him and added
    him. He subsequently, very recently added yet another snide remark which I
    saw through another's response and I posted to say that he continued to be
    in that position.

    He then tries to add to this string expecting me to take interest. As far as
    I am concerned I have no need to remove him from his current position in my
    "blocked senders list" and I do not miss his input since I don't ever
    recollect anything of interest, to me, from him. Since I rarely see any of
    his magnificent input now I cease to be concerned.
    I have no worries about my nose -- although I do worry about yours -- it
    seems to be poking into matters which don't concern you. But given that this
    is an open forum you can express you opinion as so do I.
    As far as I am concerned I shall not make any further comment on the subject
    of Clive George

    -- Trevor A Panther
    In South Yorkshire,
    England, United Kingdom.

  16. On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 17:07:13 +0100, John B <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Pinky said:

    I find that using meths stains the pot bottoms a bit but not difficult to
    clean off.

    If you add about 10% water to the meths it will not blacken the pans so much.

    Or heat the food so much - meths is ethanol, methanol, water, purple
    stuff and nasty tasting stuff. (The last two ingredients may be the
    same thing). Adding more water makes it boil even slower.

    IMHO the Trangia was the best thing since sliced bread _when it came
    out_, replacing the primus (leastways that's what it replaced in my
    Scout troop.) However there are much better alternatives, as
    described elsewhere in this thread. The gas conversion doofah is a bit
    underpowered (smaller jet?) than other gas powered burners but is a
    good start. It's not very good for frying sausages, as the flame is
    too concentrated and far away from the pan. If I was buying new I'd
    get a purpose made gas stove, plus pans plus lightweight heat sheild.
    As I've already got a Trangia I'll keep that. I've made a widget from
    a tin can to lift the burner closer to the frying pan.

    Tim

  17. in message <[email hidden]>, Peter Clinch

    (') said:
    Pinky said:

    WRT Clive George -- a long time ago he asked that I "plonk" him and I
    obliged. He was being extremely sarcastic at the time! (and even a
    couple of
    days ago he reminded me of it -- via another poster as you have done).
    It
    seems that he wants his cake and to eat it. As far as I am concerned I
    am not interested and do not wish to discus him further.

    It seems that you missed the point he was making at the time WRT
    killfiles, and if you're "not interested" in what he has to say then
    it's your loss as he's one of the Good Guys.

    Trevor, interested or not, meet your nose. It's the one you cut off to
    spite your face. Say hello! ;-/

    We all have the right to decide for ourselves whom we do not want to listen
    to. I on the whole prefer not to comment on the content of my killfile,
    but would be the first to admit it's comprehensive. On one of the groups I
    frequent, on average one post in seventy makes it past my killfile for me
    to read!

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; my other religion is Emacs

  18. Peter Clinch said:

    For meths, add a little
    water and there's less soot produced.

    An old scouting trick (admittedly from cooking on wood) is to smear the
    bottom of your pans with a little washing-up liquid. The soot slides off much
    easier.

    --
    Stephen Patterson :: [email hidden] :: http://patter.mine.nu/
    GPG: E3E8E974 :: Jabber: [email hidden]
    "At night, the razor weasels come."

  19. Stephen Patterson said:

    An old scouting trick (admittedly from cooking on wood) is to smear the
    bottom of your pans with a little washing-up liquid. The soot slides off much
    easier.

    Never really saw much of a problem with sooty pans, to be honest.
    However, if one's cooking inside then a cleaner burn to start with is nicer.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.