Cool bike

In article <[email protected]>,
Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

> Michael Press wrote:
> > I am average size, probably less than average strength,
> > use all drop bar hand positions in urban traffic, and
> > get effective braking from the hoods with single pivot
> > calipers....

> Are your fingers longer or shorter than average? Do you have the more
> recent "aero" levers?

No, no, and yes.

20 cm (7" 7/8) measuring from
wrist to end of the middle finger.
For sizing gloves this is medium to small.

Running Tektro R200A aero brake levers.

--
Michael Press

On Oct 22, 4:20 pm, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Ben C <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On 2007-10-22, [email protected] <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> > [...]

> > Yes but drop bars are narrower so you can fit into the gaps between
> > buses. This is important on an urban commuter.

> Flat bars can be cut to any width you like, and some couriers cut them
> very narrow indeed.
>
> I still think drop bars and cross levers are the best compromise,

Wide, flared-end drop bars (e.g., the WTB Mountain Drop or the On One
Midge), positioned fairly high and used in conjunction with cross
levers are a great solution, IMO.

Michael Press wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Michael Press wrote:
>>> I am average size, probably less than average strength,
>>> use all drop bar hand positions in urban traffic, and
>>> get effective braking from the hoods with single pivot
>>> calipers....

>> Are your fingers longer or shorter than average? Do you have the more
>> recent "aero" levers?

> No, no, and yes.
>
> 20 cm (7" 7/8) measuring from
> wrist to end of the middle finger.
> For sizing gloves this is medium to small.

That is not that small. For me the measurement is 18 cm.

Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!

On 2007-10-22, autopi <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Yes but drop bars are narrower so you can fit into the gaps between
>> buses. This is important on an urban commuter.

> i've never actually understood this claim. i would have thought that
> if a space was so narrow that you could only make it through by having
> narrower handlebars, you wouldn't want to be going in there anyway!
> squeezing between buses (esp. moving ones) sounds like a very bad
> idea.

You're right: the narrower bars are probably mostly psychological. And
yes, it is not advisable to try to make such narrow gaps.

On Oct 23, 9:38 am, Ben C <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 2007-10-22, autopi <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >> Yes but drop bars are narrower so you can fit into the gaps between
> >> buses. This is important on an urban commuter.

> > i've never actually understood this claim. i would have thought that
> > if a space was so narrow that you could only make it through by having
> > narrower handlebars, you wouldn't want to be going in there anyway!
> > squeezing between buses (esp. moving ones) sounds like a very bad
> > idea.

> You're right: the narrower bars are probably mostly psychological. And
> yes, it is not advisable to try to make such narrow gaps.

Wider things like your shoulders can be twisted and made to fit into
narrower gaps. They have a certain amount of give. Bars do not. As
Andrew says, brushing your arms and shoulders into things isn't that
big a deal. Brushing your bars on things is a big deal.

Joseph

On Oct 24, 9:10 am, "Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ®"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Hi All,

> > Check out this cool commuter:

> >http://www.chargebikes.com/products/cbikes/index.html

> > Click on "Mixer" to the right.

> > I want one.

> > Joseph

> This is a cool bike:http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=396431350&context=photostream...
>
> I don't think I can get one in the States, though.

I don't get it?

Joseph