cool weather gear

Andy Mullins

Guest
Since cooler weather is getting here I'm looking for ideas on how to keep
warm on the trails. When the weather gets down to freezing I'll be staying
home. So what is consensus on staying warm on the bike?

Andy Mullins wrote:
> Since cooler weather is getting here I'm looking for ideas on how to
> keep warm on the trails. When the weather gets down to freezing I'll
> be staying home. So what is consensus on staying warm on the bike?

layers. I ride with tights, and then layer my upper body. Lately I've been
riding into the 40's, and I wear a short sleeve wicking jersery under a long
sleeve wicking jersey, with a soft shell jacket over the top. I find that
keeping the extemities warm (toes, fingers, ears) really helps. I have a
lite goretex shell that I carry with me for the descents or when it starts
getting really cold.

Penny

In article <[email protected]>, "Andy Mullins" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Since cooler weather is getting here I'm looking for ideas on how to keep
>warm on the trails. When the weather gets down to freezing I'll be staying
>home. So what is consensus on staying warm on the bike?

Ride slow and technical trails (heartrate up, windchill down) and keep it
light and layered. I dunno about the fashion statement of a toque under my
Giro later on, but I'm Canadian, eh? :) Seriously, I've switched to real
pants with cuff bands and a fullsleeved T-shirt under my biking shirt (still
above zero though). After it cools down some more, nylon splashpants and
jacket with vents. TLD fullfinger gloves are easily good below zero.
Heartrate up, speed down, and don't stop to let your sweat freeze!

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 20:51:26 -0500, Andy Mullins wrote:

> Since cooler weather is getting here I'm looking for ideas on how to keep
> warm on the trails. When the weather gets down to freezing I'll be staying
> home. So what is consensus on staying warm on the bike?

Pedal faster! [not meant as a joke]

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 20:51:26 -0500, Andy Mullins <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Since cooler weather is getting here I'm looking for ideas on how to keep
> warm on the trails. When the weather gets down to freezing I'll be
> staying
> home. So what is consensus on staying warm on the bike?

Thermal butt huggers and brandy.
--
Slacker

RE/
>Since cooler weather is getting here I'm looking for ideas on how to keep
>warm on the trails.

I hang it up when the temp gets below 40 - bronchial problems.

At 40, I'll wear cargo pants, and a GoreTex cycling jacket over a long-sleeved
shirt; and carry fleece gloves and a lycra balaclava for use if/when those parts
of my bod feel cold.

At fifty-ish, I still wear shorts, but use a long-sleeved Patagonia pullover.
In addition, I carry (and sometimes use....) a helmet cover, fleece gloves, a
sleevless windbreaker, arm covers, and leg covers - all of which fit nicely in
the little belt pack I use.
--
PeteCresswell

Andy Mullins wrote:
> Since cooler weather is getting here I'm looking for ideas on how to keep
> warm on the trails. When the weather gets down to freezing I'll be staying
> home. So what is consensus on staying warm on the bike?

It's not that cold here yet, but I ride in the 20-30 F range in the winter.

1 - Neoprene gloves, put them on your defroster vent to get `em warm
before you start.
2 - Shoes without holes in them, booties suck because they get trashed
so fast. Walking on rocks destroyes them. I got some Sidi police boots
for $20 on ebay, great for cold rides.

3 - Neck gator, preferably one with velcro so you can rip it off on the
1st long climb when you realize you're about to explode. Their good for
pulling up over your face too for when you 1st start out. I cut a hole
in mine so I can breath through it (among other things, haha, beat you
guys to it this time) without getting it wet.

4 - head band with ear flaps, yes it's dorky, but you can flip up the
ear bits when you get hot too.

Then, what everyone else said.

For me, it's about hands, feet, ears and head. Keep those warm, the rest
is easy.

Winter is no reason to quit riding.

-Bruce

small change wrote:

> layers. I ride with tights, and then layer my upper body. Lately I've been
> riding into the 40's, and I wear a short sleeve wicking jersery under a long
> sleeve wicking jersey, with a soft shell jacket over the top.
>
> Penny

I know I should seek treatment, but I was a teenager in the mid-late
'70s, I am a product of my time.
There is always something that appeals to me with the two stand-up
collars with two bike shirts. Kind of like a yellow button down over a
pink IZOD shirt.

--
Later, I'm late for my session, Craig Brossman, Durango

Andy Mullins schrieb:
> Since cooler weather is getting here I'm looking for ideas on how to keep
> warm on the trails. When the weather gets down to freezing I'll be staying
> home. So what is consensus on staying warm on the bike?

can anybody give specific answers which handgloves are good for cold
conditions?
Greetings,
Hans

I wear the Black Diamond Thermostat Glove, on sale right now at mgear.com
for $19.98... this is a great all season glove, windproof, insulates when
wet etc. item # 372507
http://www.mgear.com/index.asp

also, the BD Jetstream # 101301 looks like a beefier version of the same
thing.

These make excellent ski gloves too.

Penny

Andy Mullins wrote:
> Since cooler weather is getting here I'm looking for ideas on how to
> keep warm on the trails. When the weather gets down to freezing I'll
> be staying home. So what is consensus on staying warm on the bike?

For me, I don't really have problems keeping my core temperature up, even
when the temps are well below freezing. It's more of an issue of making
sure I have no bare skin exposed to wind. So gloves, facewarmer, hat with
earflaps, and goggles if it's really cold. Other than that, I'm wearing
the sort of casual non-bike clothes that other people wear for strolling
around in fall and admiring the leaves. Think jeans and a sweatshirt.
Maybe two sweatshirts, and long underwear/tights if it's really nippy.
Sometimes less is more 'cause if you're not soaked in sweat you'll retain
body heat a lot better when you lower the exertion level. I don't do any
technical mtbing though.

heh heh. For the culturally challenged, a "toque" (ph."tewk") is a ski-hat
or stocking cap. I know I got a lot of blank looks before adjusting my
vocabulary...

My cross-country ski gear comes in handy. I do the obvious layering stuff
and wear a pair of stretchy pants with the gore-tex leg fronts. My hands
are usually fine with a pair of light gloves, assuming they have a
windstopper layer. When it gets really cold I swap out to platform pedals
and wear warm low-hiking style boots.

news:[email protected]...

"Andy Mullins" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Since cooler weather is getting here I'm looking for ideas on how to keep
> warm on the trails. When the weather gets down to freezing I'll be staying
> home. So what is consensus on staying warm on the bike?

get a singlespeed and ride harder

JD

"Andy Mullins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Since cooler weather is getting here I'm looking for ideas on how to keep
> warm on the trails. When the weather gets down to freezing I'll be staying
> home. So what is consensus on staying warm on the bike?

I haven't read all the replies, so this is probably redundant. I'll usually
ride down to around Zero f degrees, and just have to watch the ears, the
fingers, the toes and everything else can be handled with light, wicking
layers. For legs I have bib tights, that when it really gets cold, I'll add
another layer to thin tights on top of those. Body, I have a capilene base,
and add a bike shirt, maybe a fleece pullover, and a shell. Ears is a
headband, or the hood of my shell under my helmet. My gore-tex shell is a
little heavier and warmer than my nylon one. Have a couple pairs of gloves
that go from cool to frigid conditions. Toes, I wear good wool socks in my
bike shoes, and never have a problem. Nose, face, etc., an army thermal
face mask and ski goggles for when the weathe really hits the fan.

I make sure my jacket goes over my camelback, and keep the tube inside from
freezing up, (which will happen quickly with wind-chill and all that). then
remember that stuff on your bike can break easier when it's below freezing.
Always take a light of some kind, since it gets dark a lot earlier.

Food, and lots of it, and lots of watered down sports drink, even hot tea
mixed with warm water isn't bad.

paladin

"Andy Mullins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Since cooler weather is getting here I'm looking for ideas on how to keep
> warm on the trails. When the weather gets down to freezing I'll be staying
> home. So what is consensus on staying warm on the bike?

No one has mentioned the smartest thing

MITTS are warmer than gloves, and you can still shift and brake.

I have a pair, and i ll keep riding untill i get a vehicle.

Micheal

RE/
>Food, and lots of it, and lots of watered down sports drink, even hot tea
>mixed with warm water isn't bad.

And fire. Couple throwaway butane lighters don't weigh much.
--
PeteCresswell

"Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Andy Mullins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Since cooler weather is getting here I'm looking for ideas on how to keep
>> warm on the trails. When the weather gets down to freezing I'll be
>> staying
>> home. So what is consensus on staying warm on the bike?

> No one has mentioned the smartest thing
>
> MITTS are warmer than gloves, and you can still shift and brake.
>
> I have a pair, and i ll keep riding untill i get a vehicle.
>
> Micheal

Good call. Mitts were implied in my post as the best thing when the weather
really drops. They're 4th on my descending heiarchy, so to speak, from
light full fingers, heavy full fingers, lined gore-tex gloves, and full on
gore-tex insulated mittens.

paladin

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:28:53 -0700, "Paladin" <[email protected]>
scribbled:

>Good call. Mitts were implied in my post as the best thing when the weather
>really drops. They're 4th on my descending heiarchy, so to speak, from
>light full fingers, heavy full fingers, lined gore-tex gloves, and full on
>gore-tex insulated mittens.
>
>paladin

Pearl Izumi AmFib lobster gloves? They seem to do the trick fairly
well unless it gets really cold (-15 or lower) or if you're on a very
long ride. In which case you'll need a monster of a mitt anyway.

Also, look into chemical one-time or reusable hand warmers. They work
great in a pinch.

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"