cool WSDOT webpage

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Claire Petersky, Dec 7, 2004.

  1. The Washington State Department of Transportation recently redid their
    website, and they now have specific weather as well as traffic information
    for certain locations. I was particularly pleased to see this one:

    http://traffic.wsdot.wa.gov/i90/bridge/I-90.htm

    This gives a view of the I-90 bridge, and depending on which way the
    camera's facing, you also get a view of the bike lane. Personally, I
    understand windspeed and direction information so much better when it's
    graphically displayed. And I like the gust information, too. I can view this
    before I ride to work, and make an informed decision if I would really just
    rather hang up the bike on Mercer Island, or simply ride across the bridge.

    I wonder if WSDOT knew how useful this information would be for cyclists.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Home of the meditative cyclist:

  2. dgk

    dgk Guest

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 01:03:23 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The Washington State Department of Transportation recently redid their
    >website, and they now have specific weather as well as traffic information
    >for certain locations. I was particularly pleased to see this one:
    >
    >http://traffic.wsdot.wa.gov/i90/bridge/I-90.htm
    >
    >This gives a view of the I-90 bridge, and depending on which way the
    >camera's facing, you also get a view of the bike lane. Personally, I
    >understand windspeed and direction information so much better when it's
    >graphically displayed. And I like the gust information, too. I can view this
    >before I ride to work, and make an informed decision if I would really just
    >rather hang up the bike on Mercer Island, or simply ride across the bridge.
    >
    >I wonder if WSDOT knew how useful this information would be for cyclists.

    Wow, very nice site. Hmm. 25 MPH wind and clearly raining. Stay in
    bed.

    Here on the other side of the USA (NYC) we're expecting a temperature
    around 60 and wind gusts to 40 MPH. From the W/NW. That caused me some
    grief going in this morning but should be smooth sailing going home. I
    think that if I raise a sail I won't have to pedal. Have to watch
    those cross-streets until I get out of Manhattan. You can really get
    hit by a nasty wind and pushed into traffic.

  3. "dgk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Wow, very nice site. Hmm. 25 MPH wind and clearly raining. Stay in
    > bed.

    I didn't. I ran downstairs and pulled a pair of thermal tights and some
    shorts out of the dryer.

    It wasn't that bad at first, but after about three miles the wind kicked up
    and so did the rain. I was riding right into it, so I had these little icy
    needles pounding the bare flesh of my face. Since I was experiencing all
    four of Dane J's Unpleasant Conditions (Dark, Wet, Cold and Windy), I
    decided to hang it up after a couple more miles at the park and ride, and
    leave the rest of the commute to Sound Transit.

    The reward was the way home. It had warmed up to 50 degrees, it was sunny
    and bright, and the sun hadn't gone down yet. It was still pretty windy --
    gusts up to 30 mph, but now it was a tailwind, not a headwind.

    > Here on the other side of the USA (NYC) we're expecting a temperature
    > around 60 and wind gusts to 40 MPH. From the W/NW. That caused me some
    > grief going in this morning but should be smooth sailing going home. I
    > think that if I raise a sail I won't have to pedal.

    Yes, exactly -- it felt like if I had had a spinnaker to unfurl, I could
    have been blown home.

    > Have to watch
    > those cross-streets until I get out of Manhattan. You can really get
    > hit by a nasty wind and pushed into traffic.

    Yes -- this is a real problem for me downtown, the worst of a windy day. I
    think it's real scary, how the wind blows and stops around skyscrapers. I
    could see why someone with a Manhattan commute would decide not to ride when
    it's windy.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Home of the meditative cyclist:

  4. Bill Baka

    Bill Baka Guest

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 23:50:22 GMT, Claire Petersky
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "dgk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >> Wow, very nice site. Hmm. 25 MPH wind and clearly raining. Stay in
    >> bed.

    > I didn't. I ran downstairs and pulled a pair of thermal tights and some
    > shorts out of the dryer.
    >
    > It wasn't that bad at first, but after about three miles the wind kicked
    > up
    > and so did the rain. I was riding right into it, so I had these little
    > icy
    > needles pounding the bare flesh of my face. Since I was experiencing all
    > four of Dane J's Unpleasant Conditions (Dark, Wet, Cold and Windy), I
    > decided to hang it up after a couple more miles at the park and ride, and
    > leave the rest of the commute to Sound Transit.
    >
    > The reward was the way home. It had warmed up to 50 degrees, it was sunny
    > and bright, and the sun hadn't gone down yet. It was still pretty windy
    > --
    > gusts up to 30 mph, but now it was a tailwind, not a headwind.
    >
    >> Here on the other side of the USA (NYC) we're expecting a temperature
    >> around 60 and wind gusts to 40 MPH. From the W/NW. That caused me some
    >> grief going in this morning but should be smooth sailing going home. I
    >> think that if I raise a sail I won't have to pedal.

    > Yes, exactly -- it felt like if I had had a spinnaker to unfurl, I could
    > have been blown home.
    >
    >> Have to watch
    >> those cross-streets until I get out of Manhattan. You can really get
    >> hit by a nasty wind and pushed into traffic.

    > Yes -- this is a real problem for me downtown, the worst of a windy day.
    > think it's real scary, how the wind blows and stops around skyscrapers. I
    > could see why someone with a Manhattan commute would decide not to ride
    > when
    > it's windy.

    If you really want to be all weather but look a little silly buy a
    motorcycle
    type full face helmet and put the plastic on the front. I have seen a few
    other
    hard core riders do this, including one 12 year old who insisted that WAS
    his
    real helmet. I found a compromise that works well for keeping my eyes from
    tearing at the cold wind, a swimming face shield with one piece of plastic
    in front. Works well with my glasses but it has a huge dork factor. It is
    better than not going out, I just try to get out in the back woods area
    before I am seen.

    --
    Bill (?) Baka

  5. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Bill Baka wrote:

    > I found a compromise that works well for keeping my eyes from
    > tearing at the cold wind, a swimming face shield with one piece of plastic
    > in front.

    You really should post a picture of you riding like this. It fits so
    well with all the wacky crap you're always saying.

    Rich

  6. "Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Bill Baka wrote:
    >
    > > I found a compromise that works well for keeping my eyes from
    > > tearing at the cold wind, a swimming face shield with one piece of

    plastic
    > > in front.

    > You really should post a picture of you riding like this. It fits so
    > well with all the wacky crap you're always saying.

    I'm convinced that Bill Baka is the anti-Fabrizio. The clue is in the name,
    "Baka", which means "dummy" or "idiot" in Japanese. Too many of us have
    fallen for him not for it to be true.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Home of the meditative cyclist:

  7. jj

    jj Guest

    On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 05:13:35 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> Bill Baka wrote:
    >>
    >> > I found a compromise that works well for keeping my eyes from
    >> > tearing at the cold wind, a swimming face shield with one piece of

    >plastic
    >> > in front.

    >> You really should post a picture of you riding like this. It fits so
    >> well with all the wacky crap you're always saying.

    >I'm convinced that Bill Baka is the anti-Fabrizio. The clue is in the name,
    >"Baka", which means "dummy" or "idiot" in Japanese. Too many of us have
    >fallen for him not for it to be true.

    What do you mean 'fallen for him', or is that a cycling joke?

    jj

  8. Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I'm convinced that Bill Baka is the anti-Fabrizio. The clue is in the name,
    > "Baka", which means "dummy" or "idiot" in Japanese. Too many of us have
    > fallen for him not for it to be true.

    uh-oh.

    his email address [email protected] shows up in google groups back in 1996 (and
    1997) posting in various ham radio groups, sci.med.nutrition .. and most
    tellingly in rec.motorcycles where we find this tidbit:

    : Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles
    : From: [email protected]
    : Date: 1997/11/19
    : Subject: Re: How many times have you fallen off your bike ?

    : >>What did you learn from the experience ?
    :
    : > >1.   Careful in the wet.
    : > >2.   Careful on gravel.
    : > >3.   Careful in turns.
    : > >4.   Careful in the cold.

    : If you haven't fallen off at least once, you haven't been riding enough!!!
    : I have fallen off at a turn signal on a patch of oil left by a junker, in
    : front of a rush hour crowd a 2 MPH.
    :
    : I have fallen off turning and hitting a small patch of gravel, in front of
    : a bunch of outlaw friends, major embarrassment at 5 MPH.
    :
    : I have fallen off at 25 MPH making a right handed super lean turn on a city
    : street. Ruined a friends brand new jacket.
    :
    : I have fallen off, er over, at 80 MPH after hitting an unannounced speed
    : bump. Serious road rash and 2 weeks off work. Biker Brothers took me to
    : the hospital for many stitches and no broken bones. Bicentennial day,
    : July 4, 1976.
    :
    : I have fallen off trying to get across a field of mud, did three 360's
    : before I fell and hurt my pride. Wife almost fell off laughing, which
    : didn't help.
    :
    : Fall and learn. I must be masochistic or crazy. Give me a bike with a
    : 200 MPH speedo and I'll see if it's real. Live hard, die old with lots
    : of stories.

    which reads as bill to me. then he drops off the face of usenet until
    april of 2004 when he pops up in rec.bicycles.misc. guess he got bored of
    ham radios. but he wasn't particuliarly, umm, "wacky" on the amateur radio
    groups where he did post a fair bit. didn't like japanese radios much, tho.
    --
    david reuteler
    [email protected]

  9. Veloise

    Veloise Guest

    Another workday shot to hell. Thanks a lot, Claire!!! :)

    I like the view of SR 520. Can't wait to see it after dawn.

    The site also has ferry cams, for those who want to gloat about the
    l-o-n-g lines of cars they'll pass on two wheels.

    --Karen M.

  10. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    On 09 Dec 2004 06:54:03 GMT, David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote:

    >which reads as bill to me. then he drops off the face of usenet until
    >april of 2004 when he pops up in rec.bicycles.misc. guess he got bored of
    >ham radios. but he wasn't particuliarly, umm, "wacky" on the amateur radio
    >groups where he did post a fair bit. didn't like japanese radios much, tho.

    "Ham" radios;-) In and of itself, that isn't funny, but when you add
    little bill to it, I had to smile and I must admit, I laughed out
    loud.
    I think he is real, well, I think he exists. As to his exploits???

    Did you find any threads, where he happens to brag about how many
    times he has hit his head, on concrete or other equally hard surfaces?
    That might help explain some things. I think it is quite possible that
    little bill is brain damaged.

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  11. Bill Baka

    Bill Baka Guest

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 19:21:02 -0700, Rich <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Bill Baka wrote:
    >
    >> I found a compromise that works well for keeping my eyes from
    >> tearing at the cold wind, a swimming face shield with one piece of
    >> plastic
    >> in front.

    > You really should post a picture of you riding like this. It fits so
    > well with all the wacky crap you're always saying.
    >
    > Rich

    It works but looks completely insane. Besides, anyone trying to take
    a picture would probably be laughing too hard to hold the camera still.

    --
    Bill (?) Baka

  12. Bill Baka

    Bill Baka Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Bill Baka wrote:
    >>
    >> > I found a compromise that works well for keeping my eyes from
    >> > tearing at the cold wind, a swimming face shield with one piece of

    > plastic
    >> > in front.

    >> You really should post a picture of you riding like this. It fits so
    >> well with all the wacky crap you're always saying.

    > I'm convinced that Bill Baka is the anti-Fabrizio. The clue is in the
    > name,
    > "Baka", which means "dummy" or "idiot" in Japanese. Too many of us have
    > fallen for him not for it to be true.

    Aw Claire, I'm touched. I still would like to hear of a better, cheap way
    to keep the eyes protected.

    --
    Bill (?) Baka

  13. Bill Baka

    Bill Baka Guest

    On 09 Dec 2004 06:54:03 GMT, David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> I'm convinced that Bill Baka is the anti-Fabrizio. The clue is in the
    >> name,
    >> "Baka", which means "dummy" or "idiot" in Japanese. Too many of us have
    >> fallen for him not for it to be true.

    > uh-oh.
    >
    > his email address [email protected] shows up in google groups back in 1996
    > (and
    > 1997) posting in various ham radio groups, sci.med.nutrition .. and most
    > tellingly in rec.motorcycles where we find this tidbit:
    >
    > : Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles
    > : From: [email protected]
    > : Date: 1997/11/19
    > : Subject: Re: How many times have you fallen off your bike ?
    >
    > : >>What did you learn from the experience ?
    > :
    > : > >1.   Careful in the wet.
    > : > >2.   Careful on gravel.
    > : > >3.   Careful in turns.
    > : > >4.   Careful in the cold.
    >
    > : If you haven't fallen off at least once, you haven't been riding
    > enough!!!
    > : I have fallen off at a turn signal on a patch of oil left by a junker,
    > in
    > : front of a rush hour crowd a 2 MPH.
    > :
    > : I have fallen off turning and hitting a small patch of gravel, in
    > front of
    > : a bunch of outlaw friends, major embarrassment at 5 MPH.
    > :
    > : I have fallen off at 25 MPH making a right handed super lean turn on a
    > city
    > : street. Ruined a friends brand new jacket.
    > :
    > : I have fallen off, er over, at 80 MPH after hitting an unannounced
    > speed
    > : bump. Serious road rash and 2 weeks off work. Biker Brothers took me
    > : the hospital for many stitches and no broken bones. Bicentennial day,
    > : July 4, 1976.
    > :
    > : I have fallen off trying to get across a field of mud, did three 360's
    > : before I fell and hurt my pride. Wife almost fell off laughing, which
    > : didn't help.
    > :
    > : Fall and learn. I must be masochistic or crazy. Give me a bike with a
    > : 200 MPH speedo and I'll see if it's real. Live hard, die old with lots
    > : of stories.
    >
    > which reads as bill to me. then he drops off the face of usenet until
    > april of 2004 when he pops up in rec.bicycles.misc. guess he got bored
    > of
    > ham radios. but he wasn't particuliarly, umm, "wacky" on the amateur
    > radio
    > groups where he did post a fair bit. didn't like japanese radios much,
    > tho.

    You want to know what hurts, is that stuff is true, and damned embarrassing
    when you do it in front of friends. Some Japanese radios were really good,
    others were really junk. 1960s when the radio invasion began.
    I should give up newsgroups, they take too much time.

    --
    Bill (?) Baka

  14. Bill Baka

    Bill Baka Guest

    On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 08:52:36 -0600, Jeff Starr <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 09 Dec 2004 06:54:03 GMT, David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >> which reads as bill to me. then he drops off the face of usenet until
    >> april of 2004 when he pops up in rec.bicycles.misc. guess he got bored
    >> of
    >> ham radios. but he wasn't particuliarly, umm, "wacky" on the amateur
    >> radio
    >> groups where he did post a fair bit. didn't like japanese radios much,
    >> tho.

    > "Ham" radios;-) In and of itself, that isn't funny, but when you add
    > little bill to it, I had to smile and I must admit, I laughed out
    > loud.
    > I think he is real, well, I think he exists. As to his exploits???
    >
    > Did you find any threads, where he happens to brag about how many
    > times he has hit his head, on concrete or other equally hard surfaces?
    > That might help explain some things. I think it is quite possible that
    > little bill is brain damaged.
    >

    > Life is Good!
    > Jeff

    I do collect old radios, all with tubes, all receivers, all working.
    You can't do much with a radio except listen. BBC has a whole different
    take on world events, as does radio Japan, Australia, etc....
    I was random in those days as I soon found the newsgroups to be
    overwhelming. Now they might be a good place to get information but
    you can't do them all. I am monitoring the Linux groups and could
    not ever keep up with the amount of posting going on there.

    --
    Bill (?) Baka