Cost of bicycling: graphical followup

Reid Priedhorsky

Guest
Dear RBM,

A few weeks ago, I calculated the cost my bicycling, specifically, the
cost of each mile accumulated at the time the whim struck me. I
posted my number, which generated quite a few followups.

Since this number varies over time, it seemed appropriate to get a
graphical view of the matter. Here is my graph of time spent accumulating
miles vs. cost per mile accumulated:

http://reidster.net/logs/bike.html (click on "Cost per Mile")

Eventually, I would expect the graph to level out; then, that value is the
approximate steady-state cost of bicycling (i.e. the price in dollars of
the various benefits of bicycling).

I'm interested in comment from the rest of RBM, i.e., flame on. ;)

Reid

Reid Priedhorsky wrote:
> Dear RBM,
>
> A few weeks ago, I calculated the cost my bicycling, specifically, the
> cost of each mile accumulated at the time the whim struck me. I
> posted my number, which generated quite a few followups.
>
> Since this number varies over time, it seemed appropriate to get a
> graphical view of the matter. Here is my graph of time spent accumulating
> miles vs. cost per mile accumulated:
>
> http://reidster.net/logs/bike.html (click on "Cost per Mile")
>
> Eventually, I would expect the graph to level out; then, that value is the
> approximate steady-state cost of bicycling (i.e. the price in dollars of
> the various benefits of bicycling).
>
> I'm interested in comment from the rest of RBM, i.e., flame on. ;)
>
> Reid

Interesting ideas. I don't know about a lot of you, but I personally
don't bicycle simply because it's cheaper than driving.

There are the intangible benefits of being in better shape and feeling
more satisfied with getting somewhere under my own power. Also, there's
the fact that I'm not polluting or using up any limited natural resource
(oil), the fact that I enjoy biking more than driving, etc.

But I still think that biking wins out over driving in terms of initial
cost, upkeep, and gas expenses. It'd be interesting to see a comparison
chart between biking and driving, taking into account maintenance, gas,
initial purchase price, parking, tolls, insurance, registration...

Ride a $1500 bike for 3000 miles and you apparent cost is .50 per mile. But
as was requently pointed out ast time you posted, the bike is good for a lot
more than that. One of the bikes I have now has 35,000 miles on it. A TREK
820 I had some years ago got 42,000. My last TREK 520 - a $1400 bike with
bells and whistles - sustained a cracked frame after 20,000 miles but TREK
replaced it. I paid only $120. I was hit by a car in 2003 and the bike was
totaled, but the driver's insurer paid for a new one.

I've quit keeping detailed cost records, but when I was in the late 1990s,
it came to under 10 cents per mile.
news:p[email protected]...

Reid Priedhorsky wrote:

> A few weeks ago, I calculated the cost my bicycling, specifically, the
> cost of each mile accumulated at the time the whim struck me. I
> posted my number, which generated quite a few followups.

Interesting data. But regardless of what the short term monetary cost
of riding a bike is, it's low compared to the health benifits you get.
Those, in the long term, save you money and probably add months or
years to your life. And make that life better along the way.

Rich

Reid Priedhorsky wrote:
> Dear RBM,
>
> A few weeks ago, I calculated the cost my bicycling, specifically, the
> cost of each mile accumulated at the time the whim struck me. I
> posted my number, which generated quite a few followups.
>
> Since this number varies over time, it seemed appropriate to get a
> graphical view of the matter. Here is my graph of time spent accumulating
> miles vs. cost per mile accumulated:
>
> http://reidster.net/logs/bike.html (click on "Cost per Mile")
>
> Eventually, I would expect the graph to level out; then, that value is the
> approximate steady-state cost of bicycling (i.e. the price in dollars of
> the various benefits of bicycling).
>
> I'm interested in comment from the rest of RBM, i.e., flame on. ;)

One of the issues with a bicycle, is most of the cost is front-end
loaded, bike, helmet, tools, spare tube, clothing are part of the
initial cost, say $1500. Carrying costs, are quite low. Now how about
the benefits, it's a good cardio workout, helps your breathing, builds
some muscles, improves metabolism.

Now compare that to other transportation means, transit works, no
initial costs, but they loonie[1] you to death.... Benefits, faster
then walking or cycling (providing you didn't just miss one), no health
benefit unless you include running to catch the one you just missed.

Now how about the car, high initial cost, high carrying costs, a car is
a pit you endlessly pour money into. It can easily cost $10,000 a year
to buy and maintain a car, as soon as the mortgage is paid, it will
start falling apart, and as soon as you fix one thing, something else
goes wrong, and while gas prices are back down around pre-Katrina
levels, it's still expensive given the rate even a small car goes
through the stuff. Other then speed, unless your stuck in traffic,
there are no benefits.

[1] loonie, a large brass coloured coin, used in Canada to represent $1,
it has a photo of HRM Queen Elizabeth II on the front face, and a
picture of a loon on the reverse side, giving it the nickname loonie.
It's probably a given, that when the USA drops the $1 bill, their coin
equivilent will probably end up with the same term, and nobody will know
why.

"The Wogster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Reid Priedhorsky wrote:
>> Dear RBM,
>>
>> A few weeks ago, I calculated the cost my bicycling, specifically, the
>> cost of each mile accumulated at the time the whim struck me. I
>> posted my number, which generated quite a few followups.
>>
>> Since this number varies over time, it seemed appropriate to get a
>> graphical view of the matter. Here is my graph of time spent accumulating
>> miles vs. cost per mile accumulated:
>>
>> http://reidster.net/logs/bike.html (click on "Cost per Mile")
>>
>> Eventually, I would expect the graph to level out; then, that value is
>> the
>> approximate steady-state cost of bicycling (i.e. the price in dollars of
>> the various benefits of bicycling).
>>
>> I'm interested in comment from the rest of RBM, i.e., flame on. ;)
>>

> One of the issues with a bicycle, is most of the cost is front-end loaded,
> bike, helmet, tools, spare tube, clothing are part of the initial cost,
> say $1500. Carrying costs, are quite low. Now how about the benefits,
> it's a good cardio workout, helps your breathing, builds some muscles,
> improves metabolism.
>
> Now compare that to other transportation means, transit works, no initial
> costs, but they loonie[1] you to death.... Benefits, faster then walking
> or cycling (providing you didn't just miss one), no health benefit unless
> you include running to catch the one you just missed.
>
> Now how about the car, high initial cost, high carrying costs, a car is a
> pit you endlessly pour money into. It can easily cost $10,000 a year to
> buy and maintain a car, as soon as the mortgage is paid, it will start
> falling apart, and as soon as you fix one thing, something else goes
> wrong, and while gas prices are back down around pre-Katrina levels, it's
> still expensive given the rate even a small car goes through the stuff.
> Other then speed, unless your stuck in traffic, there are no benefits.

> [1] loonie, a large brass coloured coin, used in Canada to represent $1,
> it has a photo of HRM Queen Elizabeth II on the front face, and a picture
> of a loon on the reverse side, giving it the nickname loonie. It's
> probably a given, that when the USA drops the $1 bill, their coin
> equivilent will probably end up with the same term, and nobody will know
> why.

You Canadians are insufferable. The "Loony".
When we get our coin, it will be the "Georgey". And it will still be worth
more than your old bird.

I don't consider my contributions to be real serious, they are more
"fun with numbers," but I calculate bicycle fuel economy at 684 mpg:

"bike versus biodiesel"

http://odograph.com/?p=334

and food costs from a few cents a mile, on up:

"Bicycle Fuel Efficiency"

http://odograph.com/?p=334

interestingly, electricity may be cheaper than food:

"Electric Bicycle Efficiency"

http://odograph.com/?p=339

Again ... don't think I'm too serious. This is just for fun.

And the sloppy I way I deal with bicycle cost is to buy a new bike and
go for a ride. I say "well, that bike ride just cost $800!". Then I
go for a second ride and say "now those rides are only $400 each!" ...
and so on, until prices start to sound more reasonable, and I forget
where I am.

The only people who really hurt are those who stop while their "per
ride" price is still high. If the "only ridden twice" ads are to be
believed, they're out there.

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 13:21:09 +0000, Ron Wallenfang wrote:

> Ride a $1500 bike for 3000 miles and you apparent cost is .50 per mile.
> But as was requently pointed out ast time you posted, the bike is good
> for a lot more than that. One of the bikes I have now has 35,000 miles

The gist of the objection was, "you are ignoring future utility". My
opinion is that future mileage is impossible for me to estimate with any
useful degree of accuracy. Further, future costs are even harder to
estimate: Will I wreck it and need a new bike? What accessories will I
buy? Am I going to turn my old bike into a fixie? Etc. (Note that I'm
interested in the cost of "bicycling", not "bicycling on this particular
machine".)

I'd prefer to figure out the steady-state cost by using actual data.
Eventually, the rate of decay of the cost/mile ratio will stabilize
(because I'm not going to stop buying things while continuing to
accumulate miles, it won't converge to zero). That will be the cost per
mile of bicycling -- backed up by data, not my own poorly informed
guessing about the future.

Others may be able to estimate their own future mileage and costs with
useful accuracy, but I'm not one of those people.

Reid

Reid Priedhorsky wrote:
> Dear RBM,
>
> A few weeks ago, I calculated the cost my bicycling, specifically, the
> cost of each mile accumulated at the time the whim struck me. I
> posted my number, which generated quite a few followups.

The last bike hit ~1430 kilometers before I sold it. It cost 698 rmb +
700 rmb in accessories (odometer, lock, water bottle cage, helmet,
gloves, jersey, and shorts). I got 400 rmb back on it and most of the
acccessories were moved over to the new bike.

..698 rmb per kilometer
USD$0.09 per kilometer
USD$0.15 per mile

Current bike has 486 kilometers on it and cost 2998 rmb + 400 rmb in
accessories (tape that goes between tires and tubes, one replacement
tube, water bottle cages, rear blinkie, spare gloves, luggage rack).

6.992 rmb per kilometer
USD$0.87 per kilometer
USD$1.45 per mile

To put that in perspective, today's taxi ride around Shanghai was just
over 2rmb per kilometer including flag fare and time spent stopped in
traffic or at lights.

> Since this number varies over time, it seemed appropriate to get a
> graphical view of the matter. Here is my graph of time spent accumulating
> miles vs. cost per mile accumulated:
>
> http://reidster.net/logs/bike.html (click on "Cost per Mile")

Ooh, that looks like fun ... when I get my website totally live again I
think I want to do something like that. Care to share some coding tips
in how you did that? Is it a graphic or a graph program?

Rich wrote:
> The Wogster wrote:
>
>> Now how about the car, high initial cost, high carrying costs, a car
>> is a pit you endlessly pour money into. ..... Other then speed,
>> unless your stuck in traffic, there are no benefits.

> Except for the fact it's "all weather" (rain, snow, sub-zero temps).

I live in Canada, I have seen weather that can stop cars, just take a
hill, add about 30mm of freezing rain on it, and a nice layer of wet
snow, considering that those conditions usually result in thousands of
collisions, most of them minor, and it's not as all weather as many
people think. You can dress to cycle in just about any weather,
including sub zero temperatures.....

> And it can carry an entire family.

Depends on the size of the family......

> And 10 bags of groceries.

Which could also be carried by bike, buying smaller amounts at a time,
which actually can be a bike benefit, rather then buying large amounts
of processed food in big packaging, your more likely to buy more useful
foods, often that come in smaller natural packaging, that can go into
the compost bin, instead of the land fill bag.

> And can go 1000 miles in one day.

Most people don't go 1000 miles in one day, heck most Americans use the
car simply to go to the corner store for more beer, junk food, and
cigarettes which is why the average American is getting heavier. They
are eating **** and getting no exersize.

> A car can meet all your transportation needs. Which is why almost
> everyone (in the U.S. anyway) that can afford one has one.

There is just one problem with that car, it's expensive for the user,
but most of it's costs are still hidden. For example look at your city
budget for road maintenance, that's a pretty big number, and most of
that maintenance is because there are so many cars going over the same
piece of asphalt. Ask your employer's book keeper how much it costs for
maintaining that back 40 acres of parking lot, if they are honest,
that's a big number too. Lets not forget the health costs, first the
cost of the fact that most Americans are fat, and the percentage that
are obese is steadily rising, the number of people with obesity induced
type II diabetes is at an all time high, and increasing. Want some more
numbers, suppose there were no cars, no driveways and no garages in
houses, wanna guess how much land that would free up.

Now, lets look at smog, shall we, all those cars pumping NOx, CO and
CO2, into the air, that can't be good, tbis past summer, they had a smog
alert that started in June and only had about 3 days break before
finally ending in September....

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 11:34:31 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> Ooh, that looks like fun ... when I get my website totally live again I
> think I want to do something like that. Care to share some coding tips
> in how you did that? Is it a graphic or a graph program?

The biking log is stored in a PostgreSQL database. I wrote a collection of
Perl scripts for entry of the data, generation of the HTML pages, and
generation of the graphs (with the help of the program gnuplot). The
financial data is extracted from text files by yet another Perl script.

I'm more than happy to share the code. You would need basic familiarity
with Perl, SQL, PostgreSQL, and gnuplot. If you're interested, send me a
private email, and then be patient -- it would be a little bit of work to
package up the code for someone else, and I'm very busy with my research
at the moment -- but I'd get it to you eventually.

Reid

Reid Priedhorsky wrote:
> Dear RBM,
>
> A few weeks ago, I calculated the cost my bicycling, specifically, the
> cost of each mile accumulated at the time the whim struck me. I
> posted my number, which generated quite a few followups.
>
> Since this number varies over time, it seemed appropriate to get a
> graphical view of the matter. Here is my graph of time spent accumulating
> miles vs. cost per mile accumulated:
>
> http://reidster.net/logs/bike.html (click on "Cost per Mile")
>
> Eventually, I would expect the graph to level out; then, that value is the
> approximate steady-state cost of bicycling (i.e. the price in dollars of
> the various benefits of bicycling).
>
> I'm interested in comment from the rest of RBM, i.e., flame on. ;)
>
> Reid

After reading the initial thread that you started I did something
similar just as an academic exercise (and I wanted to play with
gnuplot). I arbitrarly assumed a basic $2,000 captial investment,
$180/year maintanence cost and a 5 year riding period. YMMV :)

Here is what happens as the kilometres begin to mount up. It is quite
interesting and probably your graph will come to mimic it to some
extent.
http://ca.geocities.com/jrkrideau/images/distance_time_graph.pdf

Reid Priedhorsky wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 13:21:09 +0000, Ron Wallenfang wrote:
> >
> > Ride a $1500 bike for 3000 miles and you apparent cost is .50 per mile.
> > But as was requently pointed out ast time you posted, the bike is good
> > for a lot more than that. One of the bikes I have now has 35,000 miles

> The gist of the objection was, "you are ignoring future utility". My
> opinion is that future mileage is impossible for me to estimate with any
> useful degree of accuracy. Further, future costs are even harder to
> estimate: Will I wreck it and need a new bike? What accessories will I
> buy? Am I going to turn my old bike into a fixie? Etc. (Note that I'm
> interested in the cost of "bicycling", not "bicycling on this particular
> machine".)
>
> I'd prefer to figure out the steady-state cost by using actual data.
> Eventually, the rate of decay of the cost/mile ratio will stabilize
> (because I'm not going to stop buying things while continuing to
> accumulate miles, it won't converge to zero).

Actually I think it becomes asymtotic very close to zero as the mileage
increases unless you start spending really big dollars. (See my earlier
posting with graph. Of course, a new bike every year makes my
assumptions moot.

The Wogster wrote:
> Reid Priedhorsky wrote:
> > Dear RBM,
> >
> > A few weeks ago, I calculated the cost my bicycling, specifically, the
> > cost of each mile accumulated at the time the whim struck me. I
> > posted my number, which generated quite a few followups.
> >
> > Since this number varies over time, it seemed appropriate to get a
> > graphical view of the matter. Here is my graph of time spent accumulating
> > miles vs. cost per mile accumulated:
> >
> > http://reidster.net/logs/bike.html (click on "Cost per Mile")
> >
> > Eventually, I would expect the graph to level out; then, that value is the
> > approximate steady-state cost of bicycling (i.e. the price in dollars of
> > the various benefits of bicycling).
> >
> > I'm interested in comment from the rest of RBM, i.e., flame on. ;)
> >

> One of the issues with a bicycle, is most of the cost is front-end
> loaded, bike, helmet, tools, spare tube, clothing are part of the
> initial cost, say $1500. Carrying costs, are quite low. Now how about
> the benefits, it's a good cardio workout, helps your breathing, builds
> some muscles, improves metabolism.
>
> Now compare that to other transportation means, transit works, no
> initial costs, but they loonie[1] you to death....

Loonie? Where do you live??? I believe you mean twoonie you to death
and then only with a discount pass :)

> Benefits, faster
> then walking or cycling (providing you didn't just miss one), no health
> benefit unless you include running to catch the one you just missed.

The faster than cycling is debatable. IIRC in annual car/transit/bike
races the cycle usually wins in a central urban environment (assuming
that the route is not one direct subway ride away :) My experience in
Ottawa was that I was about the same speed or slightly faster than a
bus in many cases especially in rush hour. Slower than the transitway
buses.

> Now how about the car, high initial cost, high carrying costs, a car is
> a pit you endlessly pour money into. It can easily cost $10,000 a year
> to buy and maintain a car, as soon as the mortgage is paid, it will
> start falling apart, and as soon as you fix one thing, something else
> goes wrong, and while gas prices are back down around pre-Katrina
> levels, it's still expensive given the rate even a small car goes
> through the stuff. Other then speed, unless your stuck in traffic,
> there are no benefits.

> [1] loonie, a large brass coloured coin, used in Canada to represent $1,
> it has a photo of HRM Queen Elizabeth II on the front face, and a
> picture of a loon on the reverse side, giving it the nickname loonie.
> It's probably a given, that when the USA drops the $1 bill, their coin
> equivilent will probably end up with the same term, and nobody will know
> why.

If it's a photo HM takes a lousy picture :)

[email protected] wrote:
> The Wogster wrote:
>
>>Reid Priedhorsky wrote:
>>
>>>Dear RBM,
>>>
>>>A few weeks ago, I calculated the cost my bicycling, specifically, the
>>>cost of each mile accumulated at the time the whim struck me. I
>>>posted my number, which generated quite a few followups.
>>>
>>>Since this number varies over time, it seemed appropriate to get a
>>>graphical view of the matter. Here is my graph of time spent accumulating
>>>miles vs. cost per mile accumulated:
>>>
>>> http://reidster.net/logs/bike.html (click on "Cost per Mile")
>>>
>>>Eventually, I would expect the graph to level out; then, that value is the
>>>approximate steady-state cost of bicycling (i.e. the price in dollars of
>>>the various benefits of bicycling).
>>>
>>>I'm interested in comment from the rest of RBM, i.e., flame on. ;)
>>>

>>One of the issues with a bicycle, is most of the cost is front-end
>>loaded, bike, helmet, tools, spare tube, clothing are part of the
>>initial cost, say $1500. Carrying costs, are quite low. Now how about
>>the benefits, it's a good cardio workout, helps your breathing, builds
>>some muscles, improves metabolism.
>>
>>Now compare that to other transportation means, transit works, no
>>initial costs, but they loonie[1] you to death....

> Loonie? Where do you live??? I believe you mean twoonie you to death
> and then only with a discount pass :)

Well, yeah, actually around here it's 2.5 loonies for cash, tickets are
20 loonies for a pack of 10, passes run almost a C note and are good for
a month, I said they loonie you to death, didn't say it was one at a
time.....

>>Benefits, faster
>>then walking or cycling (providing you didn't just miss one), no health
>>benefit unless you include running to catch the one you just missed.

> The faster than cycling is debatable. IIRC in annual car/transit/bike
> races the cycle usually wins in a central urban environment (assuming
> that the route is not one direct subway ride away :) My experience in
> Ottawa was that I was about the same speed or slightly faster than a
> bus in many cases especially in rush hour. Slower than the transitway
> buses.

That's true, in heavy rush hour traffic, they all end up about the same
speed a bike that can lane split, could get some ground on the others, I
try not to ride much in those conditions though. Even today, I would
pass a bus, then he would pass me, stop, and I pass him, then he would
pass me.......

>>[1] loonie, a large brass coloured coin, used in Canada to represent $1,
>>it has a photo of HRM Queen Elizabeth II on the front face, and a
>>picture of a loon on the reverse side, giving it the nickname loonie.
>>It's probably a given, that when the USA drops the $1 bill, their coin
>>equivilent will probably end up with the same term, and nobody will know
>>why.

> If it's a photo HM takes a lousy picture :)

Actually I should have said portrait, usually an engraving, you need to
remember though HM is 80 years old, the only kind portraits are older
ones.....

"Reid Priedhorsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Dear RBM,
>
> A few weeks ago, I calculated the cost my bicycling, specifically, the
> cost of each mile accumulated at the time the whim struck me. I
> posted my number, which generated quite a few followups.
>
> Since this number varies over time, it seemed appropriate to get a
> graphical view of the matter. Here is my graph of time spent accumulating
> miles vs. cost per mile accumulated:
>
> http://reidster.net/logs/bike.html (click on "Cost per Mile")
>
> Eventually, I would expect the graph to level out; then, that value is the
> approximate steady-state cost of bicycling (i.e. the price in dollars of
> the various benefits of bicycling).
>
> I'm interested in comment from the rest of RBM, i.e., flame on. ;)
>
> Reid

Reid, ... There are 40,000 dead in Pakistan. New Orleans looks like the
local swimming hole. In Iraq, some cave dwelling moron will blow himself up

And you spend time figuring out your cost per mile of bicycling.

Just goes to show ya......

Its always something.

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 14:33:21 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> Reid Priedhorsky wrote:
> >
> > I'd prefer to figure out the steady-state cost by using actual data.
> > Eventually, the rate of decay of the cost/mile ratio will stabilize
> > (because I'm not going to stop buying things while continuing to
> > accumulate miles, it won't converge to zero).

> Actually I think it becomes asymtotic very close to zero as the mileage
> increases unless you start spending really big dollars. (See my earlier
> posting with graph. Of course, a new bike every year makes my
> assumptions moot.

I saw your other posting. Care to share your gnuplot code?

Anyway, are you asserting that the graph will stabilize at a cost/mile
that's so low we may as well ignore it? I don't think that's the case.

Suppose our goal cost/mile is $0.05. If we make a $100 purchase, then
after 2,000 miles the cost/mile for that particular purchase is $0.05. If
we assume 4,000 miles per year, then this implies a (rather loose) upper
bound on the rate of purchases of $100 every six months, or $200/year, to
keep costs at $0.05 mile. IMO $0.05 isn't near enough to zero to be
insignificant, and this spending level and mileage are fairly optimistic
for my own habits. YMMV.

Reid

Reid Priedhorsky <[email protected]> wrote:

>Dear RBM,
>
>A few weeks ago, I calculated the cost my bicycling, specifically, the
>cost of each mile accumulated at the time the whim struck me. I
>posted my number, which generated quite a few followups.
>
>Since this number varies over time, it seemed appropriate to get a
>graphical view of the matter. Here is my graph of time spent accumulating
>miles vs. cost per mile accumulated:
>
> http://reidster.net/logs/bike.html (click on "Cost per Mile")
>
>Eventually, I would expect the graph to level out; then, that value is the
>approximate steady-state cost of bicycling (i.e. the price in dollars of
>the various benefits of bicycling).
>
>I'm interested in comment from the rest of RBM, i.e., flame on. ;)

"Great Googly Moogly" ??? Inquiring minds want to know....

[as to the graph, I'm squarely in the camp that believes you should
only be expensing the depreciation of the capital expenses (fixed
assets) like the bike, but .....]

Nice data, anyway :)

(Mmmmm. Data.)