Could a novice change a cassette?

ACP

Oct 20, 2003
Okay, picture this... a guy with limited bike mechanical experience (can change tyres, clean and lube parts, adjust basics) needs to take an old 9 speed Cassette off and replace it with a 10 speed one. Would this person (I think you realise it is me...!) be able to do it? Would I need a special tool? The wheel is a Zipp 303, and has a 9 speed Durace Cassette... I want to change to a 10 speed Ultegra.... any thoughts? :confused:

Easy. I'll assume its Shimano. You need a HG spline cassette remover, a chainwhip and depending on the remover type (handled or socket-bit) a torque wrench or normal wrench. Simply take the skewer out, put the cassette tool into the splines at the edge of the cassette. Wrap the chainwhip around one of the larger cogs so the long chain wraps around in an anti-clockwise direction and the short piece rests on a part of the cassette. Push down on the cassette tool handle/wrench in the normal anti-clockwise unscrewing direction and it should come off.

Putting it back on. you need an extra 1mm spacer to go on before the cassette. You can buy this, or you can use coke can cut in the shape of a spacer to get the width. Just slide the cassette on and tighten up, no need for chainwhip.

Thoughts? Well, if you're skeptical about changing out a cassette who is going to do the changover from 9-speed to 10-speed. Don't take this the wrong way but there is a whole lot more to do than simply change the casette ya know............

capwater said:
Thoughts? Well, if you're skeptical about changing out a cassette who is going to do the changover from 9-speed to 10-speed. Don't take this the wrong way but there is a whole lot more to do than simply change the casette ya know............
Unless he bought the wheel with the cassette on with an intended use for a 10 speed system.

Even then you are right. You will need to adjust derailleur limits and general adjustment.

Those are the first tools I purchased.....get ready, you won't be able to stop yourself.

capwater said:

Thanks for that! Yep, two different bikes... my old one is 9 speed (with the Zipp 303's), just bought a new 10 speed bike and want to put the Zipps on the 10 speed bike. Should be a simple operation now.. thanks! (Didn't take it the wrong way... no problem!)