Cramp in the right foot, what's going on?

davesharp

Dec 25, 2009
Ok so lately I have been noticing that as my sessions are getting longer, I'm starting to feel a cramp in my right foot, just behind my little toe. The left foot is fine.

I use mountain bike clipless shoes and pedals (Specialized BG Sport MTB Shoe) and if it is relevant I'm also flat footed and usually require inserts in my shoes for my knees. Although I doubt this would cause isolated cramp and soreness in one foot.

So here are my questions:
- Should I insert my normal shoe inserts into my riding shoes, or could this just cause knee injury?
- What could be contributing to my foot pain?

dave.

davesharp said:
Ok so lately I have been noticing that as my sessions are getting longer, I'm starting to feel a cramp in my right foot, just behind my little toe. The left foot is fine.

I use mountain bike clipless shoes and pedals (Specialized BG Sport MTB Shoe) and if it is relevant I'm also flat footed and usually require inserts in my shoes for my knees. Although I doubt this would cause isolated cramp and soreness in one foot.

So here are my questions:
- Should I insert my normal shoe inserts into my riding shoes, or could this just cause knee injury?
- What could be contributing to my foot pain?
It sounds as if your right shoe is too tight ...

Do you really need to wear the orthotic when you are riding? You make it sound as though it is thicker than the "stock" footbed liner. When you bought the shoes, did you fit the shoes with your orthotic OR with the "stock" liner?

For your next ride, try ONLY changing to thinner socks OR (if you are already wearing thin socks) don't cinch your shoes up as tightly OR swap/remove the footbed liner.

If you need a thinner sock, then try some Polypropelene liner socks ... Polypropelene garments come in all fabric weights, so you'll want the thinnest you can find.

OTHER options include relocating the cleat and/or changing the saddle height.

Check to make sure that your cleat did not slide a little bit. I was experiencing some odd foot cramping and soreness mid-way through this past season and was baffled by it until i checked the cleats. Low and behold, my right cleat had shifted ever so slightly sideways and foreward. Putting it back to its original position cured it.