crank threads

gillymon

Guest
Hi, I'm building up a new bike with 2007 Chorus. After installing the
cranks I started to install the pedals. Left side pedal installs
without a problem. When I try to instal the drive side pedal I can
only turn it maybe 1 to 1 1/2 turns before it meets resistance.
Threads are clean and not stripped. I took it to 2 local shops to see
if they could chase the threads with a pedal tap but neither shop
could advance the tap beyond a couple of turns and they're too scared
to force it in fear of damging the crank which is understood.
Fortunately the online shop i purchased them from is having me send
them back to see if Campy will warranty. Any thoughts as to why the
pedal tap won't work and would it be a bad idea to put more force to
try and advance the tap?

On Jul 11, 12:13 pm, gillymon <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi, I'm building up a new bike with 2007 Chorus. After installing the
> cranks I started to install the pedals. Left side pedal installs
> without a problem. When I try to instal the drive side pedal I can
> only turn it maybe 1 to 1 1/2 turns before it meets resistance.
> Threads are clean and not stripped. I took it to 2 local shops to see
> if they could chase the threads with a pedal tap but neither shop
> could advance the tap beyond a couple of turns and they're too scared
> to force it in fear of damging the crank which is understood.
> Fortunately the online shop i purchased them from is having me send
> them back to see if Campy will warranty. Any thoughts as to why the
> pedal tap won't work and would it be a bad idea to put more force to
> try and advance the tap?

Since they're new and the online shop is working with you, I say send
them back. If you tap them yourself and fail, that's a pretty
expensive failure.