Need recommendation for repairperson to fix stripped crank pedal threads

Al Russo

Guest
I guess the title says it all. Standard 9/16 - 20 tpi. Don't ask how I
screwed up the threads (I cross threaded a new pedal even though I must have
switched out pedals 100 times in my life without incident - Arrrggghhhhh!!).
I'm looking for someone good to repair the threads in the left arm of a high
end crankset. It's discontinued, so it's not an option to just get a new
crank arm. I think I know the basic methods of fixing - helicoil or
threaded insert (like Eldi) - but buying a whole Eldi repair kit and doing
it myself seems like overkill, and besides no one seems to have the Eldi set
in stock anyway. I'm leaning towards a threaded insert repair, but if
anyone feels strongly that a helicoil repair would work better, let me know.
Because it's just the left arm, it's pretty easy to ship, so I'm really not
limited geographically. Does anyone out there have a particularly good shop
or repairperson that they feel like recommending for this? Thanks so much
in advance - I really appreciate it!!

- Al

Al Russo wrote:

> I guess the title says it all. Standard 9/16 - 20 tpi. Don't ask how I
> screwed up the threads (I cross threaded a new pedal even though I must have
> switched out pedals 100 times in my life without incident - Arrrggghhhhh!!).
> I'm looking for someone good to repair the threads in the left arm of a high
> end crankset. It's discontinued, so it's not an option to just get a new
> crank arm. I think I know the basic methods of fixing - helicoil or
> threaded insert (like Eldi) - but buying a whole Eldi repair kit and doing
> it myself seems like overkill, and besides no one seems to have the Eldi set
> in stock anyway. I'm leaning towards a threaded insert repair, but if
> anyone feels strongly that a helicoil repair would work better, let me know.
> Because it's just the left arm, it's pretty easy to ship, so I'm really not
> limited geographically. Does anyone out there have a particularly good shop
> or repairperson that they feel like recommending for this? Thanks so much
> in advance - I really appreciate it!!

Cyclo-Eldi inserts are $25 here and we have a lot of
obsolete left arms too.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org