Need recommendation for repairperson to fix stripped crank pedal threads

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Al Russo, Oct 10, 2004.

  1. Al Russo

    Al Russo Guest

    I guess the title says it all. Standard 9/16 - 20 tpi. Don't ask how I
    screwed up the threads (I cross threaded a new pedal even though I must have
    switched out pedals 100 times in my life without incident - Arrrggghhhhh!!).
    I'm looking for someone good to repair the threads in the left arm of a high
    end crankset. It's discontinued, so it's not an option to just get a new
    crank arm. I think I know the basic methods of fixing - helicoil or
    threaded insert (like Eldi) - but buying a whole Eldi repair kit and doing
    it myself seems like overkill, and besides no one seems to have the Eldi set
    in stock anyway. I'm leaning towards a threaded insert repair, but if
    anyone feels strongly that a helicoil repair would work better, let me know.
    Because it's just the left arm, it's pretty easy to ship, so I'm really not
    limited geographically. Does anyone out there have a particularly good shop
    or repairperson that they feel like recommending for this? Thanks so much
    in advance - I really appreciate it!!

    - Al

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Al Russo wrote:

    > I guess the title says it all. Standard 9/16 - 20 tpi. Don't ask how I
    > screwed up the threads (I cross threaded a new pedal even though I must have
    > switched out pedals 100 times in my life without incident - Arrrggghhhhh!!).
    > I'm looking for someone good to repair the threads in the left arm of a high
    > end crankset. It's discontinued, so it's not an option to just get a new
    > crank arm. I think I know the basic methods of fixing - helicoil or
    > threaded insert (like Eldi) - but buying a whole Eldi repair kit and doing
    > it myself seems like overkill, and besides no one seems to have the Eldi set
    > in stock anyway. I'm leaning towards a threaded insert repair, but if
    > anyone feels strongly that a helicoil repair would work better, let me know.
    > Because it's just the left arm, it's pretty easy to ship, so I'm really not
    > limited geographically. Does anyone out there have a particularly good shop
    > or repairperson that they feel like recommending for this? Thanks so much
    > in advance - I really appreciate it!!

    Cyclo-Eldi inserts are $25 here and we have a lot of
    obsolete left arms too.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org