Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Crankset and Bottom Bracket technology

Started by hhu · · Last activity · 43 posts · 1,126 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
23 January 2005
Last activity
30 January 2005
Original author
hhu
Posts
43
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,126
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–43 of 43
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:

    To Campys credit they wait until someone else has perfected an idea before

    I'm not sure how this is to their credit. I would guess what you meant was
    that they don't use their customers as guinea pigs. I do think their
    springboard move to 10sp was a brilliant marketing idea. I'm not sure why
    Shim took so long. In business, as in life, (or the peloton for that matter)
    you either move forward or fall back. Shimano's innovation and quality (I
    know it breaks sometimes but it's still like a Toyota vs Ford or GM) have
    led to where they are today. I think most can agree to respect them for
    that.

    I'm just grateful that both C and S are around, as well as rbt/rbm as I'm
    running 9sp on all my bikes, including ergo/shim hub and cassette. The fact
    that the S hub is 8/9/10 compatible is liberating and I'd prefer to pay 40$
    for the Ult cassette vs ??? for C cassettes. I'm just keeping my eye out for
    the 9sp liquidation.

    Josh

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I agree alot of these advances Shimano didn't invent. Shimano perfected
    them. Thats the point. If
    Shimano & others never pushed different ways of doing things we would
    still be riding 1970's
    tech. Not that the old stuff was all that bad , I love my stable of
    antique bikes, but todays bikes
    are so much better! To Campys credit they wait until someone else has
    perfected an idea before
    adopting it. Sometimes improving it. It won't be long before they have
    their own crank bb combo.

  2. "Joshua Lee" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm just grateful that both C and S are around, as well as rbt/rbm as I'm
    running 9sp on all my bikes, including ergo/shim hub and cassette. The
    fact
    that the S hub is 8/9/10 compatible is liberating and I'd prefer to pay
    40$
    for the Ult cassette vs ??? for C cassettes. I'm just keeping my eye out
    for
    the 9sp liquidation.


    To be fair, Campy Veloce 9 speed cassettes can be found for as low as $40
    too:

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=1367&siteid=zoQVN.o8yT0-TO396zTnfH7TD1YPKqbeHA

  3. hhu said:

    I recently picked up a fancy new crankset and bottom bracket set for a
    bike I am planning on building. This crankset is labeled Bontrager,
    and has "gigapipe" etched into it, so I assume it was made by Truvativ
    for Bontrager. Anyway, the huge, hollow axle is permanently (I hope)
    swaged into the drive side crank, and the bottom bracket is a nice,
    sealed tube with bearings that hang on the outside of the BB shell.
    The other crank has a self-extracting bolt that uses an allen wrench
    for removal.

    This all seems really nice, but is it really any better than bearings
    mounted inside the BB shell like the more standard cartridge type BBs?

    Thanks

    Only if you believe the marketing hype.

    Just another way to sell more stuff, if you ask me.

    --
    Tp,

    -------- __o
    ----- -\<. -------- __o
    --- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
    -------------------- ( )/ ( )
    -----------------------------------------

    No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.