Curt Schilling as Lance Armstrong

Flyer

Banned
Sep 20, 2004
In yesterday's US Congressional hearing focused on doping in sport (high school, college and professional), Major League Baseball was targeted.

Baseball is the most profitable business model in the States for numerous reasons, but also because of federal exemption of anti-trust laws---establishing a monopoly of 30 wealthy franchees and an average athlete salary of $2,000,000. (1,200 union members)

Far more lucrative than cycling.

Lance Armstrong would be not be the top dog in this kennel.

Contracts exceeding $100,000,000 for 4 to 5 years are common for the top stars.

In addition, these athletes earn more millions from corporate endorsements outside baseball.

Curt Schilling, the heroic and wounded star of last year's amazing comeback victory in the Word Series (Boston Red Sox defeating the NY Yankees after being down 3 games to none) and despite being crippled by a torn tendon in his ankle, was handed a white hat and appointed to a ZERO tolerance doping task force based upon last year comments re: anti-doping.

Schilling is a MVP pitcher who earns--and has earned far more than Lance Armstrong from pro sport. He is in his 15th year. Yet, they have much in common.

Yesterday, Schilling claimed to have "never even seen a syringe in his life" and has only suspected maybe 5 players of steroid use during his 15 year career.

This was a direct contradiction of his Sports Illustrated interview last year where he was quoted--"that when Mr. Potato Head comes to the plate---and all you can see is a helmet with 5 or 6 body parts sticking out---you know what guy is doing" referring to anabolic muscle mass helpers.

Anyway, much like mjolnir2k, Schilling has no personal knowlege of doping in MLB--despite being one of the highest paid star pitchers--and despite his earlier belief that steroid use was widespread.

Despite his newfound ignorance, under oath, he was still sure that Jose Conseco (whistle blower) was a liar.

Interesting. I thought I heard Lance Armstrong scream that about Filippo Simeoni and his doping admissions too.

Question?:
How is it that Champions such as Lance Armstrong and Curt Schilling who claim to have no personal knowledge of doping---or rather, that doping is a very small problem, and yet are positive that admitted dopers are lying about doping?

Either these guys know because they are dopers too---or they have no idea and are lying to help cover up an embarrassment to commercial revenue collection.
Either way, both Lance & Curt appear to be greedy industry weasels.

Looks like money always trumps the truth.

btw: Big Mac (Mark McGwire) got real small---by failing to deny (under oath) his steriod use. Went down looking by remaining silent on personal drug use.

McGwire does think he would be a great spokeman for anti-doping. Sadly, he has no messsage re: drugs he proclaimed were bad.

Baseball is far more profitable than is cycling. The anti-trust lobby exemption is strong--and as a direct result no drug policy will be necessary. Not even the appearance of one, as yesterday's subpoenaed draft drug policy proved.

A virtual and verbal anti-steroid policy only. Toothless and with confidentiality and smal cash fines. The MLB black box is powerful.

Such a policy well ensure no doping detection---and thus eliminate doping from the sport. Perfect!

Flyer said:
Yesterday, Schilling claimed to have "never even seen a syringe in his life" and has only suspected maybe 5 players of steroid use during his 15 year career.

You better be careful when you quote someone. After all, if he has so much money, he can afford a lawyer or two.

Schilling didn't say, "never even seen a syringe in his life". For one thing, he would have used the word "I", not "his". Secondly, he didn't use the word "life". He said "locker room". I don't have the exact quote, but clearly, you have misquoted him here. He was referring to observing guys shooting up with steroids in the major league baseball locker rooms, an activity Jose Canseco has claimed was prevalent while he was playing baseball until he retired about 4 years ago. Schilling was refuting that by saying he had never seen a syringe in a locker room since he began playing major league baseball many, many years ago. The inference is that if he never saw a syringe, people must not have been openly shooting up, if they were doing this activity at all in the locker rooms.

gntlmn said:
You better be careful when you quote someone. After all, if he has so much money, he can afford a lawyer or two.

Schilling didn't say, "never even seen a syringe in his life". For one thing, he would have used the word "I", not "his". Secondly, he didn't use the word "life". He said "locker room". I don't have the exact quote, but clearly, you have misquoted him here. He was referring to observing guys shooting up with steroids in the major league baseball locker rooms, an activity Jose Canseco has claimed was prevalent while he was playing baseball until he retired about 4 years ago. Schilling was refuting that by saying he had never seen a syringe in a locker room since he began playing major league baseball many, many years ago. The inference is that if he never saw a syringe, people must not have been openly shooting up, if they were doing this activity at all in the locker rooms.
Perhaps we ought to reread the Sports Illustrated interview where he was more confident that steroids (oral or injected) were widespread.

Sammy Sosa also used language which meant that he would consider oral medication prescibed by a Domincan Republic physician.

If you want to get into the dirt re: misquoting on missing pronouns---I wonder if you get the real message here?

Curt Schilling was a Stepford Wife for MLB Thirsday. That is the power of the Money Machinery.

When Schilling was left alone--he smarts off re: doping.

I feel I characterized him accurately.

And I can find lots of juornalism folks who have more contradictions of him (archived)--and Lance too.

No worries for me.

Flyer said:
Perhaps we ought to reread the Sports Illustrated interview where he was more confident that steroids (oral or injected) were widespread.

I watched them on MSN Video yesterday--Sosa, McGuire, Schilling, Canseco, etc. I didn't make any statements here about any of the rest of the interviews. All I was talking about was the quote you got wrong. I didn't see you thank me anywhere here for pointing this out. Instead, you sidestep the issue.

Flyer said:
If you want to get into the dirt re: misquoting on missing pronouns---I wonder if you get the real message here?

It sounds like you are trying to draw me into peripheral issues. Again, my comments were directed to your misquote. If you aren't going to acknowledge it here, you will lose credibility with other readers who watched the widely publicized hearings. The real message? That's a good question, and that's what the hearings are about, to figure out what's going on, not to jump to a bunch of conclusions. To reach a correct conclusion, you must first get the facts straight. I don't have to examine all of your other facts if the one I'm glancing at (the misquote) is incorrect. Clearly, you have a cavalier attitude about accuracy. Because of this, I won't waste any more time with this thread.

gntlmn said:
I watched them on MSN Video yesterday--Sosa, McGuire, Schilling, Canseco, etc. I didn't make any statements here about any of the rest of the interviews. All I was talking about was the quote you got wrong. I didn't see you thank me anywhere here for pointing this out. Instead, you sidestep the issue.

Very well. Please forward me his exact transcipt--as you might just be correct---I think my context was accurate. He did utter more than a few sentences.

It is hard to understand what I wrote is materially different that what he said. And while he spoke much, he actually said very little, under oath.

You will be continuously vexed if you follow the exact utterances popping out of the mouths of:

Curt Schilling, Jose Conseco, Mark McGwire, Lance Armstorng & David Millar.

These characters change their stories as often as their underwear. Quoting them is always tricky.

I thought David Millar called Philippe Gaumont, "a nutter" re: widespread Team Cofidis doping. Did I misquote him as well? Was that message on point?

I did report Curt's polar message(s) correctly.

You might wish to ask him how he pitched so well in the World Series on a torn ligament---without any drugs?

He did not even require a TUE cause they had no test policy at that time, October 2004. They do not today, either--despite announced that they did.

Do you see a bigger credibility problem with me or MLB?

No peripheral issue here--only doping and lying as a united group. (MLB & Player Union) It's the only topic on the table.

Thanks for writing.